What's new

Weird choice

WhiteX

here´s the thing, on the left side... more 512 meg of ram and on the right side...an akaza cpu cooler to oc the damn thing.

who will win?

GCFreak

I lean towards the cooler. But if you could get a Zalman cooler for it, then will be able to oc nicely, i think.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Hmmm... Hard choice. Go for both? Or another 512 mb to get one more gb total and leave the cooler?

Clements

I don't see a clear reason to have over 1.0GB of RAM just yet (unless you play Battlefield 2 and/or have a low amount of VRAM), so I'd either save the money or buy the cooler if your idle temps are higher than about 55 degrees celcius or so for that Athlon64.

OP
WhiteX

WhiteX

in brazil we do not get good ram...at all, we only got generic crap, the good ram here is 5 times the price of the crap which is already overpriced and is extremely hard to find, as for the cooler i can only find it to be shipped overseas.

EDIT: as far as memory goes i found this kingston one at an affordable price: KVR400X64C3A/512

Last edited:

TerraPhantm

Did you even try OC'ing the processor? Stock coolers generally aren't good, but I got my old winnie to 2.5GHz on stock cooling with voltage increase. Even with my current processor I was getting 2.70GHz with stock cooling (though the stock cooling for this processor is nicer then most other AMDs)

Last edited:
OP
WhiteX

WhiteX

I tampered with oc´ing this one and i got as far as 1.9ghz, the temp was ok, even if i try 2.0ghz however the machine reboots, i believe it is because of the lack of pci/agp lock on my mobo because the temp was fine, being like that i guess more ram will be the best choice, any more suggestions?

noals

i totally agree with that :
Clements said:
I don't see a clear reason to have over 1.0GB of RAM just yet (unless you play Battlefield 2 and/or have a low amount of VRAM), so I'd either save the money or buy the cooler if your idle temps are higher than about 55 degrees celcius or so for that Athlon64.
1,5 Go RAM will be useless.
if you want to o/c you need good quality RAM and dual RAM is always the best so 512Mo is not a good idea.
also, athlon dont like differente RAM type like PC2100 + PC2300 on the same mobo, i dont really know why but it's not good for the proc and slow it.

you should take a cooler, there are some not too expensive and of good quality.
I tampered with oc´ing this one and i got as far as 1.9ghz, the temp was ok, even if i try 2.0ghz however the machine reboots, i believe it is because of the lack of pci/agp lock on my mobo because the temp was fine, being like that i guess more ram will be the best choice, any more suggestions?
you should increase the voltage i think and you will need the cooler.
i didnt o/c my pc yet so i dont know a lot about but you can take a look at that

Last edited:

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
GCFreak said:
Hello? His CPU is Socket 754.

BigTyphoon fits on socket 754 if you check thermaltakes homepage (LGA 775 and AMD K7, K8)

Socket 754, 939 and 940 have the same mounting holes

TerraPhantm

WhiteX said:
If that's the case, I'd upgrade the mobo. this one is pretty good. I don't know how much it'd be in brazil though.

OP
WhiteX

WhiteX

Thank you, but no, thank you.
I found out that my wife went on my things yesterday and it seems that i got left only one pair of shoes, so it´s shoe-shopping then.
If a mod wants to close this one, i´ll be "shoe" busy to object.
What a lame ass joke.

Last edited:

Cönker1

Chibi Nick said:
That.. ooooorr YOU'RE going to an expensive store. Anything under 65 bucks??
Like I said, its cheap ram, I also said 65 Bucks CAD, as in, Canadian Dollar. Cheap ram to me, and everyone who knows computers, has high latency times and doesn't overclock well/handle loads well.

So next time you think you *know* what you are talking about, slit your wrists instead. Because its funny.