What's new

What's REALLY holding emu progress back??

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumX

Hi all. I was just curious as to what is the biggest obstacle to overcome to get this emu to run games quickly and fairly stable. Is it the programming core of the emu, or our PCs? Im not sure about this, but I believe that the dreamcast emulator Chankast can run games really well, and the DC console itself had a 128 bit CPU running at 200 MHZ. Using this specs, is it wrong to assume that Dolphin can run better on our PCs then it is now? Or what about the PS2 emulator? (since the PS2 had a 128 bit processor with 300 MHZ). Thanks.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Mostly some annoying guys which are asking for Isos, for a new beta or why does run game XXX bad hold good emus back from progress, because such guys hold emu authors back from coding...

spotanjo3

QuantumX said:
Hi all. I was just curious as to what is the biggest obstacle to overcome to get this emu to run games quickly and fairly stable. Is it the programming core of the emu, or our PCs? Im not sure about this, but I believe that the dreamcast emulator Chankast can run games really well, and the DC console itself had a 128 bit CPU running at 200 MHZ. Using this specs, is it wrong to assume that Dolphin can run better on our PCs then it is now? Or what about the PS2 emulator? (since the PS2 had a 128 bit processor with 300 MHZ). Thanks.

No emu can run better on our PCs..the better way to run it is to get real consoles. They will never be 100% perfect. They will be nearly perfect but not 100% at all.

Give them more time for all emus. :)

Allnatural

QuantumX said:
...the DC console itself had a 128 bit CPU running at 200 MHZ. Using this specs, is it wrong to assume that Dolphin can run better on our PCs then it is now? Or what about the PS2 emulator? (since the PS2 had a 128 bit processor with 300 MHZ).
You're comparing a bunch of meaningless numbers. If a chip is more complex (presumably the case when comparing the PS2 and GC to the Dreamcast) it takes more time to learn how it works, and more horsepower to ultimately make it work when emulating it.

Not to mention the radically different components that make up the complete system (graphics, audio, etc.). Those must all be emulated as well.

Last edited:

Knuckles

What I always say, if you think it's that simple.. why not you go code yourself the emu? It's not easy to emulate. the GC uses a way more different CPU architecture than the PC (GC is a PowerPC modified, while PC is a x86). It's like the MAC (PPC ones) emulators on x86 PC, you won't get much speed out of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.