What's new

AMD or Intel for emulation?

Qubeley

If system setting are the same for a Pentium 4 670 3.80GHz or Athlon 64 X2 4800+, which one will run PCSX2 and Dolphin faster? I know that the Athlon FX 55 is the fastest for PC games, but is it the same for emulation?

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
I've found Dolphin to like the P4 architecture better than Athlon64.

Overall, building a system between those two CPUs, the Athlon64 is the obvious choice, hands down.

Stezo2k

S-2K
For all gaming and most emulators i've found the A64s to be the best performers so far... and they're good for overclocking too

id go for the a64 out of the 2.... sounds like you have too much money to spend heh

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Actually, its very close between the two of them, both have advantages, for instance the P4 has a very strong SSE2 set and is great at doing everything equally, i've noticed AMD are better at some things than others but still good at everything, however AMD is slightly faster than the P4 these days and cheaper to boot.

So I'd choose the AMD. I'm happy with my Intel though :)

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
It really depends on the emulator. Some emulators need raw GHz speed, others take advantage of SSE/SSE2, some may use 3D NOW! and others take advantage of 64 bit CPUs, dual core CPUs and hyper threading. The speed and size of the cache of a CPU can also affect the speed of an emulator.

OP
Q

Qubeley

I have been reading some review on AMD 64 and Pentium 4, AMD 64 seems superior in game performances, while Pentium 4 is better in certain applications. However there is no side by side comparison with console emulators. Currently I doubt PCSX 2 or Dolphin uses 64 bit, HT or Dual Core at this point. I don't want to get a AMD 64 X2 4800+ and then find out that the fps for PCSX2 or Dolphin only increase by 2 in comparison with an old Pentium 4 2.0 ghz. Then again, will a 3.8 Ghz increase fps for PCSX 2 or Dolphin by at least 10?