What's new

gateway decent?

dukenukem

lord freiza
hey all in december my mom is gonna buy a gateway pc from hsn.com because of there flexpay option but i have never dealt with a gateway pc before.re they pc's reliable since my current emachines one has been fine since 1999.

revl8er

That Damn Good
I used to own a gateway pc, and it sucked. I'm not sure how other people's gateways were, but mine sucked. I wouldnt recommend it to anybody.

rcgamer

the old guy
Why not save a lot of money and just get a new emachines. they are very reliable. you can buy one at walmart with an athlon 64 processor.

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
My brother has a gateway laptop and it works well.

The only thing was that it came with a restore partition and it didn't work! No cd or anything, they just had it so you turned on the computer pressed f11 and it would go to the restore screen. He tried doing this (wanted to clean out the computer) and it froze in the middle!!

I installed winxpsp2 pro on his computer and now it runs beautifully. No problems since then. It's a fast smooth laptop for pretty cheap.

I would never buy a prebuilt machine... but for laptops I know they're alright (or atleast in this one case... after that small problem)

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
Sometimes they do... if you go for a gateway... make sure you get one with a restore cd and not partition...

The partition will take away valuable hdd space and with my bro's it didn't work (probably just his though).

revl8er

That Damn Good
I owned it a while back, probably around 99. Couldnt stand it cause their customer service was pitiful and the pc just plain sucked.

OP
dukenukem

dukenukem

lord freiza
i don't know which of those gateway pc's on hsn have the cd or just the partition though.This is the one we are gonna get http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id=2176027&web_id=2176027&sz=0&sf=ec&dept=ec0027&cat=ec0031&subcat=&gs=&attr=&prev=hp!sf!dept!cat&ocm=

Last edited:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
GCFreak said:
I thought Duke was planning on getting an upgrade to AMD64 X2 3800+?

He plans on a lot of things.

What's sad about it is that he's in his 20s and relies on his mom for his things. :p

revl8er

That Damn Good
That pc seems to be decent, only having and integrated gfx chip in it hurts it for gaming. The good side is it has a pci express port so you can get a gfx card for it.

OP
dukenukem

dukenukem

lord freiza
decided to make a small updat my mom ordered a gateway pc on saturday and it will be here later this month,i am so happy now.

Last edited: