What's new

Problem with NES emulators.

TyBO

Hi everyone...

I'm having some serious problems emulating games for the NES. I've tried a ton of emulators, but none work properly. Here's the problem:

Let's say I'm playing Super Mario Bros. You know how if you hold forward and B, then press jump, you can do a running jump making Mario jump higher? Well I can't do that. Problem is, the emulator seems to only let me press two buttons at a time, so if I'm holding down forward and B, pressing A to jump won't do anything... I just keep running.

Does anyone know what the problem is? It's funny because this sorta thing never happens in SNES9x or Gens.

Steve1987

Fool for RPGs!
I bought a ripoff PSX controller that I can use on my comp, and use it for everything; NES, SNES, N64, PSX, etc. Works like a charm, and no keyboard issues :)

OP
T

TyBO

Yeah, I've been considering getting a cheap-o USB game controller, but if I ever get my Xbox modded, I'd probably never use it. ;)

OP
T

TyBO

W, S, A, D = Up, down, left, and right.

H, J = A, B.

Enter, Space = Start, Select.

truth2

well change it to something better
in case you want that "controller feel" your settings give:
WSAD : up,down,left,right
NM : A,B
enter, space : start, select.

you can also try I,O for A,B if that's more comfortable.

Last edited:

Steve1987

Fool for RPGs!
truth2 said:
well change it to something better
in case you want that "controller feel" your settings give:
WSAD : up,down,left,right
NM : A,B
enter, space : start, select.

you can also try I,O for A,B if that's more comfortable.

That doesn't help him with his problem at all.

smcd

The "traditional" key setting is usually
arrow keys for Up Down Left Right
and for keys: Z = B and X = A

Those don't have that annoying beep-beep collision effect, though that means your controls are rather backwards with the directions on the right instead of the left.

OP
T

TyBO

sethmcdoogle said:
The "traditional" key setting is usually
arrow keys for Up Down Left Right
and for keys: Z = B and X = A

Those don't have that annoying beep-beep collision effect, though that means your controls are rather backwards with the directions on the right instead of the left.
Hey... thanks! You gave me a good idea. Instead of using Z and X for B and A, I'm using 2 and 3 on the number pad. That works great and the directional buttons are still on the left!

I should have thought of that sooner... problem solved. :)