What's new

graphics load on cpu?

nasman

got a question: do high-end graphics cards make significant difference to fps on 3d games on this emu? or is all the work done on the cpu?

the only reason i'm asking is because ive seen lotsa posts saying around 3-5 fps despite having completely different graphics cards.... - ive got a mx 420 which gives me about 4fps on naruto 3, will be upgrading soon to an ax700pro (cheap but cheerful) so wonder if it will improve things noticeably (not to playable standard but double my current fps maybe?)... - or maybe i'm completely off track and most of the speed issues are mainly non-graphics related??

don't kill me if this is a stupid question please :bye3:

Last edited:

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
The difference in video cards will probably give you about a 15% speed increase with Dolphin. Not much when you're going from 4fps to 6fps.

Toasty

Sony battery
Typically, for real PC games and such, yes, the graphics card is the biggest factor for your FPS, followed by the CPU usually. With this emulator (and the other GC emulators) though, it just hasn't been developed sufficiently, so a top-notch graphics card will make a minimal difference.

OP
N

nasman

well i installed the new card - now getting maybe 1-2 fps more.. looks like a small gain but the extra shader stuff makes everything look better even at this speed and now naruto3 is feels partly playable, yay! :bunny:

narutotest.jpg

bohdy

IIRC Ector mentioned that the geometry transformation is still done on the CPU instead of the Vertex Shaders of your GPU, so the GPU will make less of a difference.