What's new

TV-OUT... VGA to Component video converter?

SofaKng

I was just wondering how many of you out there are using TV-out for PJ64. I ran some RCA cables from my GeForce2/SBLive across my ceiling blocks to my TV... So far it looks decent (besides the huge rolling white lines on my TV)... but after doing a little bit of research I hear people talk about VGA to Component video converters... does anybody here use these? Does it improve the video by that much?

Also, I was thinking about getting a cordless Wingman Rumblepad for my joystick (so I can use the joystick in front of the TV)... anybody have any experience with this joystick?

Thanks in advance :)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
the important thing is the quality of the DAC/conversion chip on the video card... lots of GeForce cards have shitty ouput cos theyre trying to hit a price point, e.g. Matrox have excellent output but ironically shit 3d feature sets... there is a wide range of quality on nVidia chipset cards because the cards are assembled by different companies with their own choices of components. The difference between RCA and RGB isn't likely to be noticeable. Unless that noise is coming from interference, sounds like a long cable run, check routing to avoid AC cables etc., try a short connection, try a different TV...

Remote

SofaKng said:
I was just wondering how many of you out there are using TV-out for PJ64. I ran some RCA cables from my GeForce2/SBLive across my ceiling blocks to my TV... So far it looks decent (besides the huge rolling white lines on my TV)... but after doing a little bit of research I hear people talk about VGA to Component video converters... does anybody here use these? Does it improve the video by that much?

Also, I was thinking about getting a cordless Wingman Rumblepad for my joystick (so I can use the joystick in front of the TV)... anybody have any experience with this joystick?

Thanks in advance :)

The bad quality, i.e rolling white lines, is probaly due to a low quality tv out chip. I have been using most emus, not just Nintendo 64, through my television for a long time. The quality is good, and I am using RCA cables. I also have a S-VHS port and eventhough my television is capable of supporting it, the difference in quality is not noticeble. Since english is not my native toungue I am not sure that I know what your mean regarding the VGA to Composite video converters, as far as I know Composite equals to RCA.

There are converters that will allow you to hook up your console, i.e Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, GameCube, to your monitor. That will increase quality. But if your tv-out chip is weak a converter should not make a big difference, if the picture quality is decreased before it reached the television a converter should not be able to make it perfect, it could correct errors... but bad can not be converted to good. If you have a 640*480 movie encoded in DivX and you decide to decrease the size to 320*240... you can not resize it to it's original size with the original quality...

Reznor007

It is possible to make a component video signal from a VGA output, and it will most likely look better than a TV out encoder chip. A component video signal should look much better than basic composite/RCA video, since the signals are separated.

OP
S

SofaKng

Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone.

So it sounds like my only real option is to buy a 2nd video card (a Matrox card)... but would it really make a big difference? Also I would think that it wouldn't be nearly as fast as my GeForce2.

I'm decently satisfied with my setup the way it is but I'd really like to improve the TV quality any way possible.

I was going to use my 2nd PC (AMD 800Mhz, 256mb RAM, ATI Rage Pro) and put it right next to my TV but for some reason P64 runs VERY slow (I'm assuming because of the video card)...

Also I think I am getting my terms mixed up... by "component video converter" I was talking about a converter to go from VGA to RCA (since my TV and receiver only have RCA jacks).

N-Rage

ATI Cards have excellent Pic Quality and TV-Out( im not sure if normal VIVO-Radeon have Component out, but the AIW has for sure ), and they arent noticable slower than G-Forces. Since ATI makes their Cards themselfes they maintain a high Quality, just as Matrox.

If theres a VGA to RCA converter it would be about as expensive as a new GFX-Card. Prolly u just need to get a good Cable( good shielding ) to get better Pic Quality.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yeah, hehe, don't buy a Matrox card for Project64, I was just giving an example of top quality TV output, N-Rage is probably right with his suggestion to get an ATI card, although I've never owned an ATI card myself. You could do it with an nVidia card but you'll have to find out a lot about what components the manufacturer has fitted on their boards, so it will be a hassle. So yes.. ATI is probably the way to go here.

I was just playing with my Matrox G400 on a TV and I was surprised that it was fine in many games like Sin and Punishment... but its very hit and miss (e.g. Zelda is terrible). So Matrox is out of the question, unfortunate, their TV quality is stunning, it has this stabilising filter thing, no flicker at all. remarkable :eek: I'd forgotton how good it looked hehe.

OP
S

SofaKng

Well, I do have an ATI card (but its only an ATI Rage Pro) so I can't use it for P64 (way too slow).... I was thinking about upgrading my GeForce 2 to a Radeon (8500 maybe)... but I dunno.

I bought some new gold-plated RCA cables which seem to help a bit so other than that I guess I'll just live with what I have :)

Thanks everyone.

YuRiNk4

Radeon 8500's TV Out

I've connected the TV-Out with The RCA to my Amiga 500 monitor and it rocks!!!

It tried whit a lot of emus (MAME, Nebula, ... and Project64, of course), and it works perfectly. Now I don't need the scanlines!!!

It's wonderful!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ultima32244

mine works fine

I have a GeForce MX 400 w/ TV-OUT and I use my tv-out all the time. I also have a Sound Blaster Live and a Live!Drive, so i hook both of'em up to HDTV, I cant even tell the difference hehe.

Pheo

my video card has an s-video out which i connect to my receiver along with the audio and pj64 and all other emulation works great.

Joe The Dude

I've discovered a simple fix that resolves both of the symptoms below:

1. The "White" scrolling line on your TV when using TV OUT from your PC.

2. The hum that you hear if you hook up both your TV and your PC's audio-out to your home stereo.

The fix:
Unscrew your cable TV/Satelite cable from your TV and/or VCR!

THAT is what is giving you the interfearance. It has something to do with a "Ground Loop" problem.

I read about it on http://www.vcdhelp.com 's message boards last month. =b

EDIT: I have a VisionTek Extasy 6564 GeForce 3 Ti 200 AGP video card with the s-video tv-out option.

If your TV only has "RCA" type inputs, you can get a S-Video to Composite adapter at your local Radio Shack. My video card has an option to select either output type, and is therefore compatible with a simple adapter.

Reccomended video settings/drivers with the card:
Jabo's Direct3D7 1.40
Windowed 320x240
Full Screen 640x480x16
(for the most part leave all of the other options at default settings)

I'm currently using Project 64 to play Zelda Majora's Mask as my N64 died two days after I bought ZMM. T_T

The audio likes to skip when a lot is going on, and the video gets a little laggy when a lot is going on, but other than that, the game is quite playable.

EDIT 2:
When using TV Out with the aforementioned Video Card, make sure your pc's res is set to 640x480 when you want to full-screen streaming media or a DVD.
The only other setting available in tv mode (800x600) has compatibility issues with the aforemetioned apps, but it is compatable with some PC games. Experiment. ~_^

EDIT 3: (kind of off-topic)
~Tested with Cyberlink Powre DVD ver 3.0~
There is a trick to getting DVDs to work with TV-OUT.
First, you need a DVD rom, heh.
Set yout "Tv Mode" scren res to 640x480.
Switch to pc monitor mode and set your pc's screen res to 640 x 480.
Start to play your DVD in "Pc Monitor" mode. While it's showing the DVD's title screen, switch to TV-Mode.

Last edited: