What's new

Help please!

mix

Alright, the problem is that upon bootup the computer says nvidia boot agent: media test failed. I think my graphics card is broken because I touched it when I was playing a game and it shocked me and then crashed afterwards. Also my motherboards chipset is nforce2 ultra 400, so it could be my mobo also. Is the graphics card broken? Or my mobo? The motherboard is brand new, so I think it's the GPU.

smcd

I do that to my graphics card fan all the time because it starts humming so i tap it a few times & it shuts up :p

OP
M

mix

I was concerned about heat. I had been play FEAR mp for 2 hrs. and I wanted to see if it was time to stop. Also, it gets into windows SOMETIMES, but then crashes after 10 min. and does the media test thing. If I wait for 30 min. I can get into windows again for 10 min. The old fan on my GPU doesn't spin, but the new one does, which leads me to believe it's a motherboard problem, but i'm not sure. My motherboard is only 2 weeks old though. I didn't know that touching the GPU when my compy is on messes it up.

TerraPhantm

Sounds like a motherboard problem to me, because that is the message I get on my Athlon XP system(motherboard is an A7N8X-Deluxe) when I have no harddrive, cd-rom, floppy drive, or anything attached to it.

What might've happened is that, when you touched your graphics card, it sent a voltage spike through the AGP port, and something else on your motherboard died.

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
mix said:
I was concerned about heat. I had been play FEAR mp for 2 hrs. and I wanted to see if it was time to stop. Also, it gets into windows SOMETIMES, but then crashes after 10 min. and does the media test thing. If I wait for 30 min. I can get into windows again for 10 min. The old fan on my GPU doesn't spin, but the new one does, which leads me to believe it's a motherboard problem, but i'm not sure. My motherboard is only 2 weeks old though. I didn't know that touching the GPU when my compy is on messes it up.

I think thats what they make temperature sensors for. Seriously, computer components are extremely ESD sensitive (thats Electrostatic Discharge). If you touch one without at least touching the chasis to ground your self first then your likely to fry the thing.

OP
M

mix

My GPU doesn't have a temp. sensor, so the only way to gauge temperature is to touch it. I still have the warranty on the motherboard, so I hope it's a motherboard problem, and not a graphics card problem. I've touched my GPU alot of times before to see if it was hot and nothing died. So why this time? My warranty is voided on the graphics card becuause of OC'ing and I took off the fan. What do you think the "voltage spike" might have killed?

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Uh, even when installing components in your computer (when the computer is OFF and with no power), you should ground yourself to make sure you're not carrying any static charge. Usually touching the metal chassis of your PC is enough to ground yourself. If nothing fried before, it was just blind luck that a) you weren't carrying any charge on you, and b) the thing you touched wasn't carrying charge. The fact that you felt a SHOCK means that there was.

Also, if your game isn't crashing, then it's not overheating. How hot it "feels" doesn't tell you anything.

Last edited:
OP
M

mix

What's a chassis? I'm taking my computer to microcenter this weekend and see if they'll fix it. I really want to figure out what the problem is before spending $100+ on a new part and finding out it wasn't the problem.

OP
M

mix

Ok, I just got an idea. Could it be the power supply? It seems like the card isn't getting enough juice, because it crashes after 10 min.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
mix said:
Ok, I just got an idea. Could it be the power supply? It seems like the card isn't getting enough juice, because it crashes after 10 min.
What's the wattage on your PSU? And did this ever happen before you touched it?

OP
M

mix

It's a CoolerMaster 450W PSU. No this has never happened before. I've had this system since March. I've had ALOT of problems with it before, mostly spyware related, but I haven't seen this error before.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Then I'd guess that touching probably did damage it if it has never done that before. If you have a second pc, you can always test the card in that to make sure. If not, some places can run a diagnostic on it (though it's not free) but would give you peace of mind knowing what the problem is.

OP
M

mix

Alright, it's all fixed now. A wire was loose. I've been running the computer for a few hours and no crashes.

OP
M

mix

Alright, I will. The only annoying thing is that I paid the computer store guy $90 to tighten a wire. It still doesn't explain why my old GPU fan stopped spinning and the crashing. Oh well, it's fixed.