What's new

Neat emulator programming tutorial

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
I noticed that there are lot's of noobs asking for an emulator programming tutorial. Lucky for them I remembered to bring it today :)

In order to understand it, you need a good knowledge of C/C++ programming. It's quite in-depth and very explanitory. So far, this one is the best one I have seen. Hope you all like it.

Toasty

Sony battery
Neat. A good read for someone who's read the beginner tutorials, has a little experience and is ready to get a bit more advanced.

Toko

Didn't look how old this is but o well, why isn't there any tutorials for C# to make emulators.

C# is faster that VB and Delphi, it should be a good way to make a emulator right? That's all I know.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Because everybody hates C# who's ever learned C first, (mostly) and C is much better for coding emulators. So the people who program emulators all mostly prefer C/C++, because that's what they learned on. (And it's just plain better - Speed is of the essence in emulation)

OP
blueshogun96

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
I agree with ShizZie. But I guess it's fine if you are just doing a simple 8-bit system. But for more recent consoles/arcade machines, C is the way to go. C++ works too, but I personally don't reccomend it. Yours (and others) opinions may vary.

ector

Emulator Developer
C++ is just fine, if you don't overuse OO. The main principle behind the design of C++ is "don't pay for what you don't use, vs C".

Dolphin is written in C++ :)

C# is just fine for 8-bit systems, maybe even some 16-bit systems, but emulation is one of those cases where being close to the hardware really helps speed a lot.

OP
blueshogun96

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
That's a nice tutorial. Thanks for the link man :icecream:

EDIT:

@ ector: Yeah, I should have given an example. Nestopia, for instance. :p

Last edited:

Blargg

If you're looking for ways to optimize an interpretation-based CPU emulator, I've written a page describing some techniques I came up with when writing several 8-bit CPU emulators in C (NES 6502, Game Boy Z-80, SNES SPC-700).

Blargg's 6502 Emulation Notes

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
C# is moving toward high level languages. It is primarely concerned on the .NET platform, which is slower than native, and it doesn't natively support such low level architecture such as C/C++. Plus to mention that using .NET with native includes a lot of overhead, making it still slower.

C# is a fine language, and is evolving as well, but when you need that "extra power", you need C/C++, and emulators need that "extra power."

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
Thanks alot blueshogun96, zilmar, and Blaarg. I've been looking for some high quality documentation on emulator creation. I really appreciate this.

MC Eukal

This is a really nice thread. Maybe somebody is writing an emulator and this dude is having a blog?

It is always a good idea to share the results, concepts and problems with emu-developing and sum it up into a book/article/whatever appropriate, so that new generations of little emu-makers won't run into it again. That would be really cool! :happy:

Thanks to zilmar and Blargg for writing their thoughts down and for blueshogun96 starting this thread!

Last edited:

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
I'm going to keep a blog-esque journal for my next emulator, which will probably be either a NES, SMS, SMD, or most preferably a SNES. I'll upload source with each post as well. We'll see how it goes.

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
I'm going to keep a blog-esque journal for my next emulator, which will probably be either a NES, SMS, SMD, or most preferably a SNES. I'll upload source with each post as well. We'll see how it goes.

Cool. I'd be interested in seeing the development of a SNES emu.

OP
blueshogun96

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
@ tye stik and MC Eukal: anytime :)
btw: an emu blog is a nice idea :) why didn't I think of that. I'll definetly do that for my Sega Titan Video emulator (which atm is a future project. So far all I managed to do was start working on the M68000 core).

ShizZie said:
Good luck with your SNES emu. I'll tell you this now, I'd say one of the hardest parts about SNES is sound, IMO.

EDIT: Here's a doc on the 65c02 of you are interested :)
http://www.zophar.net/tech/files/6502ref.html
EDIT2: forgot about this one
http://www.zophar.net/tech/snes.html

Last edited:

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
As for future projects, if anyone would like to work on one with me, or needs help, let me know. I havn't picked up another emulation project yet, and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to handle anything too advanced entirelly on my own.

I'm getting really excited about SNES... even though I know it's really pushing my abilities as a programmer. The thing with most of these systems is that they've already all been done by everybody and their dogs. I wish I could step into newer grounds...

TheImpaler

ShizZie said:
As for future projects, if anyone would like to work on one with me, or needs help, let me know. I havn't picked up another emulation project yet, and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to handle anything too advanced entirelly on my own.

I'm getting really excited about SNES... even though I know it's really pushing my abilities as a programmer. The thing with most of these systems is that they've already all been done by everybody and their dogs. I wish I could step into newer grounds...

Well a console I was tempted to try out was the X68000 console. But I found out I had no skill lol. There seems to be good emulators out, but I think there could be better. I have so many projects "on hold" but maybe you could try it.

Sagon

ShizZie said:

My ultimate goal of starting coding emulators is a creation of Sega Saturn emulator, right now only one developing emulator exist - SSF, so Saturn is pretty fresh and new ground for emu coding, but now i don't have enogh experience to handle project like that, so i'll try something simpler like Sega Genesis. But maybe you want to create Saturn emu...