What's new

Best emulators for.....

Chazam

What in your opinion are the best emulators for the following systems?

Megadrive/Genesis, 32X, Super Nintendo, NES and the Gamegear?

I haven't had a Windows PC in about 2 years so I've pretty much been oblivious to the emulation scene, apart from running a few on my Mac that is.

Sorry if this is a common question but I don't know what emulators to try! :p

:party: Thanks! :party:​

OP
Chazam

Chazam

That's exactly what i wanted mate.
You even put the links ther too. :cool:
I'm gonna give them a try now.
Cheers!

OP
Chazam

Chazam

Thanks Lord Darkstorm
I've already tried Snes9x and I prefer it over zsnes but haven't tred gens32 or nestopia.
I'll do so now and see how they are!:p

Toasty

Sony battery
Another vote for Zsnes, and I don't play the other systems' emulators enough to give a good recommendation for anything else. :)

Clements

Kega Fusion - Virtually hardware accurate. The quest to find a single bug in it's emulation is truely an on-going process - people are truely struggling to find them (and not bugs that existed on the real Megadrive). Clearly the best by a mile.

VirtuaNES - Very compatible, probably more so than Nestopia since it works with Koei games, and has the most features of any NES emulator I've seen. It is also one of the fastest emulators for NES besides some of the older DOS type emulators. Less buggy and easier to use and configure than FCE Ultra (especially gamepads and video modes). Use in conjunction with a BMF palette for more accuate colour emulation.

ZSNES - What can I say, I love it so much that I contribute to the project with the documentation. ZSNES is better with games that have special chips (only certain SuperFX games and the DSP-3 game do not work), is the most configuable emulator I've used, has all the best filters for sound and graphics, very fast emulation, and non-buggy video output with the option of true fullscreen or ratio modes. Snes9x lacks Gaussian interpolation that the Snes had so the sound is generally poorer quality than ZSNES, Sneese and some Snes9x derivitives that added the Gaussian filter.

For those of you that use Snes9x, pick up Snes9x improvement7 - it's Snes9x without the buggy video output. It takes away the large redundant black border at the bottom and allows hardware filtering if you so wish.

Miretank

Lurking
Kega Fusion: Great emulator with great compatibility for games. I use it =D I just blame it cause it doesn't support my directional joystick buttons.

FCE Ultra: I like VirtuaNES and JNES, but FCE fits my needs.

ZSNES: No comments. The best ever. correct if i'm wrong but, it was the first to run Top Gear 3000, wasn't it?

@Chazam: Dude, search for all emus you can. Try different emus, maybe one or other you find will fit better your needs. I have folder with more than 30 emus and everytime i use one different. it's cool :D and if one game does not run or run poor in certain emu, just try other ;)

OP
Chazam

Chazam

Thanks miretank-o (and everyone else for that matter!)
@Chazam: Dude, search for all emus you can. Try different emus, maybe one or other you find will fit better your needs. I have folder with more than 30 emus and everytime i use one different. it's cool and if one game does not run or run poor in certain emu, just try other
I think I'll do just that. I'll store all my roms per system in one place and use different Emu's as i need to.

Once again Thanks for the suggestions people!

revl8er

That Damn Good
I would recommend testing out different emulators and find the best for your system.

For sega I use kegafusion because I can't find any problem with it.

For snes I use ZSNES because imo it is the best snes emulator I have ever found.

For nes I use JNES, but you can also try using virtuanes because either one works great.

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
For NES - I use good ol' FCEUltra - Really nice sound, compatability, controls and GUI.

For Super Nintendo - I use SnesGT. This is the best sound of any emulator IMO, and although not as compatible as Zsnes, it's still a great emulator
nonetheles.

Genesis - Kega Fusion, multi-sega-system support; SegaCD, Sega 32x, Game Gear, Genesis, and Master System! The best compatability of any Genesis emulator!

And if you are looking for N64, go for Project 64 1.6!

Ash

Trashed Ketchum
Because of the age of my system, Gens32, ZSnes and, please don't laugh, but Nesticle...I also run REW.:p

smcd

I like the Nester series of NES emulators (nester, uonester, nesterj, nnnesterj) and also FCEUltra, VirtuaNES, and Nestopia. As for Genesis, Gens is nice (or any of its variants, gens32, gens+, blah blah) and so is Kega Fusion. For Snes, zsnes is quite good but I don't like its interface, and Snes9x isn't bad either.

smcd

I used to (and still do occasionally) use NESticle and Genecyst. They work quite well for older machines. Speaking of DOS emulators, fwnes is quite nice too..