What's new

gpu cooling solutions?

Vchat20

hi everyone! im back! its been a LOOONG time hasnt it? almost a year now according to my last post's.

anywho, to start my return, i have a pressing question for you all. for those who havent been around me in the past few months, i have made a few upgrades to this computer. one of which is a new 128MB Radeon 9200 (packaged as a sapphire radeon 9250). anywho, one phenomenon ive noticed is that on occasion, depending on the game thats running, the computer would crash right out of the blue. well, i have narrowed down the problem, to most likely being that the gpu is overheating cuz when it bsod's the fans would be blowing out really warm air. much hotter than it should.

so my question to you is: whats the most recommended method to keep the gpu cool? right now its running with the OEM heatsink. i was personally thinking about getting one of thosefans you slide in an empty expansion bay and would force air out the back. was thinking about putting it right under the gpu so it would pull air right off the heatsink and out the back. any other suggestions?

thx :)

WhiteX

there are replacements for the stock cooler, with better materials and less power comsumption, try ebay.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118116 <- the best air GPU cooler money can buy.

I picked one up not too long ago for my 9800 Pro, which has horribly insufficient stock cooling.

Or if you have a CPU cooler lying around an some zipties, you can drill holes in it to correspond with those on your card and use zipties to secure it (1 down in the HS/holes, one tied to that one on the other side of the card). Very efficient and cheap. :) Dimensions should be on your card, as shown in the attached pic.

Nevertheless I don't think a 9200 would be overheating and causing crashes even with stock cooling.

Last edited: