What's new

WinXP stupid (but useful) question

Miretank

Lurking
Humm, long time ago, I used to close applications by pressing the right button of the mouse on the application tab on the start menu. But I can't do it more, don't have any clue why. also I have searched around about this but with no success. i think its stupid but if anyone knows how to help me I will be very glad:blush:

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Right clicking has always for me opened up a popup menu, it's never just closed the proggie... i'd have to click Close after that first, chances are you had some sort of proggie that made that function possible.

OP
Miretank

Miretank

Lurking
no, you're right. when I clicked it, it always opened a popup tab with those common acts (close, minimize, move, restore, etc). but this does not happen anymore :( I don't make a single idea why, this function is missing for me a long time ago, but just now I want to fix it..

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Have you installed any tweak apps that may have disabled right click menus? It's the only thing I can think of. Strangely enough for me, when I use Style XP, sometimes I can not access the "Folder Options" in control panel or windows explorer, but with other skins it is there. But I've never had the right click menu not work. Could go as deep as your registry.

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
You are talking about the applications on the Task Bar that when you right click you get a context menu. Is this just when you rightclick on the task bar? or the Taskbar, Start menu, and clock also?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Maybe that's a bug of a Windowblinds or StyleXP skin ? Try setting another skin and see if the functionality returns, preferably the windows classic theme.

Happy Birthday.

Gent

Administrator
Ok well you havnt answered and i have to go to bed lol But:

You need to goto Group Policy and thewn onto User Configuration\AdministrativeTemplates\Start Menu & Taskbar .

To open Group Policy to edit the local Group Policy object, click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc and then press Enter.

Go to User Configuration\AdministrativeTemplates\Start Menu & Taskbar and then Double click on Remove access to the context menus for the taskbar.

If it is on Disable, Enable it :) that should then clear up your problems.

Happy Birthday for the 31st btw.

Last edited:
OP
Miretank

Miretank

Lurking
Hmm, let me answer you. generalplot, yeah, I have installed Style XP and things like that, but that a long time ago. then I unninstalled it, used winxp without any theme programs, but when I saw, too late. the right click wasn't working anymore. And i don't know when exactly the problem has started. and yes, I also think the prob is at the registry...
hahaha, you're right, it is 30+1st, thanks trotter! :D
for gent, my clock and the tray icons works fine. the prob is on the start menu and task bar.
scottjc, i have tried a lot of skins, include the default and the win classic one. but nothing... also thanks!

but if I go to registry, in what folder should I mess? (they're hundreds and scary:evil: )

Gent

Administrator
MiretanK.O said:
for gent, my clock and the tray icons works fine. the prob is on the start menu and task bar.
scottjc, i have tried a lot of skins, include the default and the win classic one. but nothing... also thanks!

but if I go to registry, in what folder should I mess? (they're hundreds and scary:evil: )

Yea thats why i said:

Gent said:
Ok well you havnt answered and i have to go to bed lol But:

You need to goto Group Policy and thewn onto User Configuration\AdministrativeTemplates\Start Menu & Taskbar .

To open Group Policy to edit the local Group Policy object, click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc and then press Enter.

Go to User Configuration\AdministrativeTemplates\Start Menu & Taskbar and then Double click on Remove access to the context menus for the taskbar.

If it is on Disable, Enable it :) that should then clear up your problems.

Happy Birthday for the 31st btw.

thats not the reg editor.

Just do as it says above if its disbaled then enable it. if it isnt then you have/are using something thats messed up the function like a theme or tweak ap thats gone wrong. Im hoping for your sake its just been disabled.

OP
Miretank

Miretank

Lurking
Whohoo! thanks gent, you strike it. the Remove access to the context menus for the taskbar must be Disabled, not enabled. I just wonder why this was non-configured since it was working long time ago. and thanks for the 31ST.
thanks for all your help guys!