What's new

Golden Sun 1&2 : Backup Memory

Miretank

Lurking
Hi, I'm playing that good Golden Sun 2 at the moment but there's something that makes me sad. Every time I try to save the game in the battery it says: "Unable to de detect Backup Memory", then I'm using Save States but they aren't good if you want to use the old GS data (and yeh, GS1 has this prob too..) cause every time you close (or turn off :p) the VBA, you'll start at New Game, of course you'll not continue your progress... may someone help me out? Thanks by now.

Clements

Verify your rom with GoodGBA or GBA Tool Advance, since there are hacked versions out there. The [!] dump works fine for me. I have not had this issue with either game, using kode54's build which is up to date using 06.07.05 CVS. Always set the save type to automatic, never force a particular save type. You'll almost certainly need to start a new game to fix this issue.

OP
Miretank

Miretank

Lurking
My head is hurting but I found the solution. Golden Sun 1 seems to run pretty and "saveable" in kode54's VBA. But to GS2, I needed to fix it with GBATool Advance that SRAM Option. Btw, my CRC32 is not the same as yours Clements, is that the reason of bad dumping?
However, thanks for the help. Ah! And I can continue from my Save State!! YEE!! (I'm so far on the game, almost started to cry when you said that I possibly would need to restart the game...:evil: )

Last Question: Since then, can I link up them in VBA Link to trade data?

Clements

MiretanK.O said:
My head is hurting but I found the solution. Golden Sun 1 seems to run pretty and "saveable" in kode54's VBA. But to GS2, I needed to fix it with GBATool Advance that SRAM Option. Btw, my CRC32 is not the same as yours Clements, is that the reason of bad dumping?

AFAIK, my CRCs are correct, although I'm not 100% positive if they are up to date with the latest dats/info. Roms could be intro-hacked/intro removed/save patched and all sorts. That is probably why they messed up.

MiretanK.O said:
Last Question: Since then, can I link up them in VBA Link to trade data?

Try it. If you can't get it to work then you can try the password system:

Code:
When you turn on the Game Boy Advance with Golden Sun, hold LEFT and R 
    until the title screen appears. Press Start to access the menu screen. 
    Release LEFT and R. There will be a new option, Send. An easier way to do 
    this is to let the menu screen load normally, then hold LEFT and R and 
    press Start. This will reload the menu screen and should add the Send 
    option. The Send icon will be on the right side of the row of icons.
    To view the passwords choose the Password option after choosing Send. The 
    Gold password (6 pages long) contains all the Djinn data, character stats 
    and levels, items, and coins. The Silver password (2 pages long) contains 
    the Djinn data, character stats and levels. The Bronze password (2 lines 
    long) only has the Djinn data and character levels. You are better off 
    transferring using the link option if you have 2 GBAs or a friend with a 
    GBA and the link cable.