What's new

best graphic card for pj64!

carlos

Hi, i need to know wich video card is better for pj64 on my system; i´m buying a new one because i don´t have one :D

here´s my system configuration:

Intel Pentium III celeron 800 Mhz
sis 630/730 graphic adapter
C-media i8738 sound driver
240 MB RAM
Directx 8.1
15 G. HD

Also i have Pj64 v.1.4 and i want to congratulate all for your work on the emulator, just now i have zelda MM and even it looks great
but slow.....(i´m just waiting for the answer to continue the congratulations.....);)

i´m not so sure about the intel pentium III because i only know the i have the celeron (don´t know about pentium and all of that).

as you can see my english it´s not very well i´m not from around here.

waiting for your answer

Bye

2fast4u

carlos said:
i´m buying a new one because i don´t have one :D

uhm..this is off-topic but i doubt that u don't HAVE one coz thats impossible. the thing is ur current one sucks. ;)
on an 800mhz celeron i'd say a geforce2mx would be pretty good choice (i know that others will correct me here thou).

uh yeah, a celeron is not a p3, the celeron is more or less a p2 with missing l2-cache.

OP
C

carlos

yeah, i want the geforce2 (i read the help file on pj64 and says that its a good graphic card) but.... my motherboard doesn´t have a AGP slot. there is a geforce2mx por a PCI slot?

by the way thanks for the p3 and celeron tip;)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
no what he has is a Celeron2 which is a P3 with less cache and lower bus speed and maybe some other things I don't remember, but it's pretty equivalent to a P3 (not a P2).

If you don't have an AGP slot get a GF2 PCI yes there must be some on the market (if not new, 2nd hand).

OP
C

carlos

Hey Thanks! i´m going to find a Geforce 2 for pci. i´m forward to try pj64 with his best performance! (well the best that i could get).

but if you know another good card (most of all cheap ) let me know it pleeeease.....

when i get my new card i´ll be posting screenshots:cool:

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
ok, let me try to put some order in here...

firstly, a celeron 800 is based on the core of the pIII, it HAS the l2 cache AND it's bus speed is the same (100 Mhz).

secondly, i seriously seriously doubt you have a cel 800 for two reasons:

1) you said your games are slow, and my cel 850 can play most games at full speed(but maybe the slowness may have somthing to do with your graphics chip)

2)i don't believe that a board with PCPGA socket which supports 100Mhz bus and a X8 multiplier and DOESN'T have an AGP slot exists(i have some old boards with socket 7 (for pentium 1 MMX) which have an Advance Graphics Port slot).

thirdly, 2fast4u: technically he doesn't have a graphics CARD , because if i understand correctly the "sis 630/730 " is an onboard Chip.

[edit]:
thats an Accelerated Graphics Port sorry:)

umm.. i hope i'm not wrong about all this, cause then i would look like a complete jerk :blush:

Last edited:

2fast4u

ok, let me clear that here ... smiff is right of course, i was thinking of the first celeron.

ogy: the sis 630/730 (as far as i know) is a gfx chip that is built-in on the motherboard. therefore ... well, he doesn't have a gfx board but a gfx unit coz otherwise he wouldnt be able to see anything ... (r we splitting hair here? i think so).

gokuss4

Meh...
while yur gettin a graphics card try to get a new motherboard also that has support for cel2 800mhz and also has an agp port so geforce 2 would work well.

OP
C

carlos

before, i had a soyo motherboard (with the same celeron) but i couldn´t play very well because it was too slow(very slow) even with an agp video card from jaton (video 81-pro) and with more graphics errors, but for that time i was using pj64 v1.3 also it was difficult to play in fullscreen mode ( all seem with so much sharpness and pointy).

i don´t know but that was the only video card i had for that motherboard.:blush:

i had heard that the nvidia TNT comes in PCI; well i don´t know much about video cards cuz never had an good accelerated one :angry: , and i read the readme file and it says that its a good video hardware. what can you tell me about it ( i will be purchasing a new one soon i just need some help :D)

Fgoal2

How do you get your 850 processor to run games smoothly?? I can't get my 800 Duron (the gaming chip (from what I heard before I got it, but now I hear the opposite)) to run smoothly. It's really not much of an upgrade from my 400 Celeron. Is my video card to blame?? It's a Asus 3800 ultra delux TNT2 card.... Any thoughts?

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
Fgoal2 said:
How do you get your 850 processor to run games smoothly?? I can't get my 800 Duron (the gaming chip (from what I heard before I got it, but now I hear the opposite)) to run smoothly. It's really not much of an upgrade from my 400 Celeron. Is my video card to blame?? It's a Asus 3800 ultra delux TNT2 card.... Any thoughts?

well... i haven't tried ALL games but OOT, mario, CBFD and all the others i tried work at full speed. zelda: MM however, gives me 55-60 Fps in closed areas and in open and big spaces i can get as low as 45 FPS.

celeron 800Mhz (based on the P3 core) is definitely faster then a duaron 800Mhz (so 850Mhz will have a noticeable difference)
though i think the athlon is about the same level?

about the video card, i don't know much about the TNT2, although it is stated to be under minimum requirements i heard that with validate blending you should get decent preformence.

@carlos, i would double check about the AGP slot before you buy a pci card.

Last edited:

Hottoast

Originally posted by Fgoal2

I have a 700 duron and a tnt2 model 64 graphic card, and i find that most games work just great.

The expections being :killer Instint Gold
Goldeneye
Conker's bad fur day (although i would class this one as playable as it usually only slows down during the cut scenes).

Basically any game listed as needing "high system requirements" doesn't work well. (Stating the obvious i know)

archlyn

I have a P3/800mhz and a Geforce 2 TI, all my games (except Goldeneye 007) work fine, i get smooth 60/60 (or 50/50 :p) framerates

bodie

c'est moi

well the obvious answer to which is the best gfx card(mainly depending on what you need it for) is without doubt the latest in the geforce/radeon line .. but cheaper cards like geforce2 mx 400 does a pretty good job for most things ...

OP
C

carlos

FSAA and/or Aniso Filtering

i don´t know much about emulation, plugins and graphics details. but if i´m going to buy a new graphic card i need to know what is FSAA and/or Aniso Filtering. just for curiosity