What's new

Awesome work, some small problems though

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
Alright, well I'm seeing a few problems here:

1) When I try to import a JSF file created by V1.5, the emulator crashes.
2) In the help file, the 'requirements' section doesn't expand.
3) Also in the help file, under installation -> uninstalling and reinstalling, it says PJ64 has no install program... then what was that install program I used?

Excellent job BTW. Mario 64 now runs perfect (aside from the occasional graphic bug) just as it did in V1.4 even on my crappy below-minimum-specs system. :p (And at a constant 60FPS without sound, yay!)

Well OK, I lied, there is a small graphic problem in Mario 64. The scorebars have a black background. Turning on Force Alpha Blending fixes that, but then certain textures, such as Bowser's platform, disappear entirely (the object is completely invisible o_O). It's weird but in most levels it looks perfect with that option.

Mario Kart 64 finally runs full speed and the characters don't show up as white squares, which is nice. It does have some strange graphic issues though... The weirdest one being that in the 'progress view' (showing each character's icon going around the screen on a line) the second-place character has a 5 instead of a 2? (Someone else mentioned this as well...) It's not the best look ever but it works (and running it on this, I can't very well complain ;)).

I don't suppose getting a better sound card would get a better frame rate with sound on? (I get maybe 30FPS. :p)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
thanks um, i wasn't around for 1.6 release hence the manual errors .

you probably need to enable Legacy Pixel Pipeline with that graphics hardware, see if that fixes any Mario/Mkart issues.

.jsf files, yeah jabo says don't import old ones. that kinda defeats the point a bit sorry..

OP
HyperHacker

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
No, that doesn't seem to help. I don't think anything will with a 4MB Intel onboard video card. >_< It's still playable though. (Interesting to note, the 'jumbo screen' in Luigi Raceway is missing; you can see the sky through it. :p)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
oh well. you can always select v1.5.2 plugin if you find it better.
yes pj 1.6 should be a bit faster, jabo did excellent work on the rsp again (or are you using Azimer's audio?), core is about the same speed but you probably need ABL on with that CPU so you may get some pausing from that in some games.

OP
HyperHacker

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
Nah, 1.52 has all the same problems. I'm personally amazed it works this well; I wouldn't expect anything near perfection. I don't really play N64 on my computer much anyway, it's just not the same without sound. (I tried both plugins, they pretty much gave identical performance.)

OP
HyperHacker

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
Hey, what the hex? All of a sudden it's gone back to the way it was in 1.5. Slow (~30FPS with or without sound), random polygon glitches, and missing scorebars in Mario 64 no matter what options or plugins I try. I didn't change anything since before when it worked great, tried rebooting etc but it's still not running right. :(

Last edited:

justin023

Dominated Master Quest
You should expect stuff to not work when using a PC w/ less than recommended mininum settings.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
no it shouldn't work less well one day than before.. you must have changed something?

OP
HyperHacker

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
Hah, don't I feel stupid now. The ROM was corrupt. :blush: Somehow it seems a few bytes being changed made huge differences in the 3D calculations without affecting playability. (The emulator didn't seem to notice it being corrupt though. o_O)

As long as I'm here, how do you use the cheats with question marks in them? Do I have to actually edit the code and replace them with the value I want?

Also for some reason it says it's running at 30FPS instead of 60, but it's still at full speed. Unless I just mis-read it the first time. :p

Smiff

Emutalk Member
no problem, thanks for telling us.
many users leave us wondering.
current hope is to add md5 checking to prevent things like this.

for those cheats, try double clicking. i don't know a whole lot about the cheat system though..

Last edited: