What's new

GameFAQ settings, Pokemon Snap, Perfect Dark, etc.

justin023

Dominated Master Quest
While trying to make Pokemon Snap work I consulted the GameFAQ. Surprisingly, the game (specifically the photos) still didn't work after I changed to the recommended settings. Here are some things I noticed make it work (or not):

A. Using the Direct3D transformation pipeline made it as if the pokemon in the pics were just not there. I get Prof. Oak w/ a X on his face when I shouldn't.
B. Using full scene antialaising prevented the pictures from being displayed, even when they should be.
C. It seems that N64 games have control over when they use the framebuffer (at least this one). When the framebuffer is on, the pics display correctly, but the game goes super slow. It is as if the framebuffer is used only for a split second when the pics appear or change. If there is no change to the way the framebuffer works in the future, could you add a shortcut key (like CTRL+F) to make it easier to toggle?

In Perfect Dark, when anisotropic filtering is used, the game goes SLOW.

If Use RSP audio signal and copy framebuffer are both off, Tetrisphere (European) is unplayable.

Great work on this emulator! Played thru Zelda - OOT Master Quest with only two crashes ever! Looks so much better than a real N64! Runs at 60FPS always!!!!!

EDIT (6/12/05): Just played through Turok 3 with only one crash total.

Last edited:

gandalf

Member ready to help
for pokemon snap, use the "copy frame buffer to RDRAM" when you finish an level and you go with Prof. OAK,then disable "copy frame buffer....", not the entire game.

Donkey kong64.... bad rom?

OP
justin023

justin023

Dominated Master Quest
I know how to make Pokemon Snap work. I just thought it was worth pointing out that the GameFAQ settings don't make it work.

No, good Donkey Kong ROM (used to have a bad one).
Bootleg stuff just likes to reboot my PC, I don't know why.
It's not just the ROM, because PJ64 has done it with other games.
I have had other bootleg stuff do it too.

Last edited:

Googol

Give me back my floppy face!
You can expect slowness on enabling the framebuffer, it's not emulated to the same extent as the real N64. This means that it will take up a lot of resources. Be happy that you can get the pictures to show up, it's more than what most other plugins can do.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
it's normal for copy framebuffer to RDRAM to be slow - N64 has unified memory.
it's normal for FSAA to break those framebuffer copies in some circumstances - try enabling FSAA in driver options instead of plugin.

"If Use RSP audio signal and copy framebuffer are both off, Tetrisphere is unplayable."
can you explain this please?

DK64 - i think something is wrong with your video card/drivers and they're crashing when the video plugin asks them to do something in particular - disable automatic reboot of windows and see where the error is.

Last edited:
OP
justin023

justin023

Dominated Master Quest
Smiff said:
"If Use RSP audio signal and copy framebuffer are both off, Tetrisphere is unplayable."
can you explain this please?

DK64 - i think something is wrong with your video card/drivers and they're crashing when the video plugin asks them to do something in particular - disable automatic reboot of windows and see where the error is.

No. That's the only way I can get Tetrisphere to work. Otherwise it just crashes before going to the puzzle.

It is possibly a driver problem, cause something is always going wrong cause of it. As for disabling auto reboot, I don't think that is an option. I just discovered today that Turok 2 is just as likely to crash my PC. It seems to happen when I try switching between windowed and fullscreen a few times.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
sorry that's what i meant, explain why you couldn't play it... not your job to explain what's wrong :D

er does anyone else find tetrisphere crash on default settings? can't replicate here atm.

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
You can disable auto-reboot in Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery Settings -> Automatically Restart. Then you get a BSOD that actually tells you what the problem is.

OP
justin023

justin023

Dominated Master Quest
Thanx for telling me about that disbale auto-reboot thing! Thought it was just a serious glitch in Windows or my gfx card drivers or something.

Reztes

Sorry to bump an older thread but I wanted to add that there is another Pokemon Snap issue not mentioned in the GameFAQ. Although enabling the frame buffer fixes pictures of Pokemon, pictures of the Pokemon signs later in the game are not recognized properly (Ie. Oak does not recognize that there is anything in the pictures).

Has anyone has this issue or been able to resolve it?