What's new

Super Mario 64 ROM Hang

Earl_Of_Games

First off, it wasn't me who tested this, so this is all second-hand information, however I suppose I could trust my brother on this. Anyway, he says he was running the Super Mario 64 (E) (M3) ROM. The ROM settings were (since he just got bored with it when it hung and didn't adjust anything afterwards, so I assume the settings would be intact):

CPU Core style: Default
Self Modifying Code Method: Change Memory and Cache
Memory Size: 8 MB
Advanced Block Linking: On
Data Save Type: Use First Used Save Type
Counter Buffer: (for some reason it's blank, so I'll assume it is set to Default)
Larger Compile Buffer: Checked
Register Checking: Checked
SP Hack: Checked
Use TLB: Checked
Delay SI Interrupt: Unchecked
RSP Audio Signal: Unchecked

I realize that some of these settings are a little n00bish when it comes to stability, but I'm not the one who set it up. However, as it is, it should be reasonably stable, as it accounts for most issues.

Anyway, the computer it was played on is a recent one: a P4 2.66 GHz, 512 MB, 64 MB NVidia card (powerful weak), SB Live! Sound Card (forget the model number), and most importantly: Project 64 version 1.6. I can look up the exact models if need be.

I almost forgot the acutal cause of the error: whenever he does this sort of dive thing (he calls it a body slam, he runs, press "A" button then "B" button, then presses "A" to stand up/jump). There is a second error: whenever he grabs onto ledges after jumping, and also when jumping into a cannon; it freezes just the same. Further, whenever he enters the Vanish Cap entrance, he must "ground pound" to enter, for should he not, it freezes whenever his foot hits the ground (this area is supposidly a hole that you fall into). It then hangs, however the music still plays. However, whenever he runs it on the (U) version (for USA), this doesn't happen and he claims it is "faster". Also, Mario's voice is more higher-pitched in the American version. Is there some sort of quality difference between the American and European versions of the game? By "faster", he means a good 10 more Frames Per Second faster, which is a good bit more, obviously. Furthermore, the text was "emboldened" (in bold, as in larger and possibly in bold). This strikes me as odd, as theoretically, all ROMs should be equal, because there would be no point in making such drastic changes (at least to the observant player) between makes of the ROM (such as European and American versions). He didn't test the (J) (Japanese) version yet (mainly because he doesn't speak Japanese), so I'm not sure of any differences in that ROM from the other versions. I got this ROM as part of a package of Super Mario 64 Roms (really don't know why, as it gave me 5 copies of each version of the mod, and that increased the file size up to almost 10 MB (could someone tell me the average size of the USA-only ROM?)).

-Earl

Last edited:

Allnatural

Except for the text issue with the pal rom (which may be fixed in the latest build anyway), I'm not aware of any problems with any version of SM64. The default settings are pictured below. Start by restoring the game settings. If that doesn't fix it, other things to consider are the overuse of cheats and save states. Both can cause problems.

btw, U and J games run at 60 VI/s, E games at 50 VI/s, so the difference in speed is normal. The SM64 rom (assuming it's a good dump) should be 8 MB.

Last edited:

Clements

Memory size should be 4MB, game is 64Mbit (8MB) in size.

Earl_Of_Games: It looks like many of the default settings have been changed. Download Smiff's update and it'll be restored to default, hopefully solving your problems.

Also, I'd suggest to use (U) roms in all cases except if you need the extra languages or the (U) version has a region issue (rare).

Haisook

Hi all.
First post here! Great emulator and great forums!

Super Mario 64 (U version) has started to regularly hang on me since I installed the latest ROM update a couple of days ago. It had been working perfectly well before that. It hangs and the idle CPU meter becomes stuck at around 99.9%. This does NOT happen with other games like Yoshi's Story.

I looked at Allnatural's screenshot above, and the same settings seemed to be already installed, yet the problem persists.

I use a relatively fast PC at 2.4 Ghz, 512mb SD Ram, and a 256mb GeForce 5200.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thank you in advance.

Iconoclast

Try reinstalling Project64 and then running the ROM; the hanging should stop.

If it doesn't, use a different emulator. They all work fine for this game. Just use Glide64 or Direct64 as your graphics plugin for best results.

Haisook

Thanks,

But I don't want to get a separate emulator for this very game. Project64 is great.
I just need a fix for this. It seems the last ROM update has messed it up a bit, at least for this game.

I'm looking for another solution before I re-install.

(Oh I forgot)-- I'm having the Anisotropic & Antialiasing settings at Max; 8x and 4x, resp.
Could this be the cause of the problem? Would decreasing that value help solve the issue?

Btw, are these plugins better than Jabo's Direct3D8 ?

Last edited:

Iconoclast

Thanks,

But I don't want to get a separate emulator for this very game. Project64 is great.
I just need a fix for this. It seems the last ROM update has messed it up a bit, at least for this game.

I'm looking for another solution before I re-install.

(Oh I forgot)-- I'm having the Anisotropic & Antialiasing settings at Max; 8x and 4x, resp.
Could this be the cause of the problem? Would decreasing that value help solve the issue?

Btw, are these plugins better than Jabo's Direct3D8 ?
I said, try reinstalling Project64. If any of those things you mentioned will work, reinstalling Project64 sure will.

There is no 'update' of the Super Mario 64. There is a one and only version, not counting hacked versions and different country versions. The Super Mario 64 (U) [!] ROM should work just fine. If the extension is anything other than (U) [!], then that is probably the cause of your issue.

Haisook

Well, thanks a lot.

I reinstalled, and the hanging did not occur in the last couple of times.
Hope it remains stable.

Will report back if it happens again.

Many thanks!