What's new

Bloom Effects with Nvidia Cards at last

Magitaro

Well, I came across this page a while ago and noticed that it stated "it might be possible to use it on other opengl games but I haven't tested many." (I did _not_ make this, I'm merely linking to it.) So, I thought, what the heck, and tossed the files into my 1964 folder. I loaded up Rice's video plugin 6.1.1, set it to OpenGL, but it didn't work.

Then, I tried Rice's Daedalus 5.4.2 OpenGL plugin and *Tada!* it works!
Without Bloom
WITH bloom

Does this work for anyone else?
Rice, do you think you could get it to work with 6.1.1?

Thanks, and enjoy!

Toast Siege

EmuTalk Memberr
That's very interesting; I wasn't even aware that this was possible, and it definitely would add to the look of many N64 games (specifically because several of them use a certain 'storybook' style). It isn't however, very compatible with 1964 (don't even bother with PJ64, it crashes on exit when you use OpenGL, and even though I could see the lights changing, they weren't taking on the bloom look). It seems that Majora's Mask is actually the exception rather than the rule, and most other games I've tried become unplayable after pressing numpad1 (CBFD freezes the image and the saturated bloom effect covers the entire screen after a few seconds, and in Banjo Kazooie the screen is covered with green). It's a pity that the more modern plugins aren't compatible at all (and there's the small issue of Rice's plugin being the only OpenGL one right now), but this is a good find.

OP
M

Magitaro

It looks like Rice has a lot on his plate working on his plugin, but it'd be amazing if he found time to work in some level of compatibility for a future release. I think Orkin was developing a post-process cel-shading option for his plugin... maybe a bloom filter wouldn't be all that difficult too? I love the glow, it adds a soft etherealness that really works with games like zelda.

@MuhMuh: When I got it to work I just used Daedalus 5.4.2 with all options at their default settings. (OT-And keep up the great work on your texture pack--It's beautiful!)

Last edited:

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
Magitaro said:
I think Orkin was developing a post-process cel-shading option for his plugin... maybe a bloom filter wouldn't be all that difficult too?

Might be possible...it seems feasable if implemented in the plugin that one could even take the values from the lighting calculations, and instead of clamping the values from 0.0-1.0, could render everything above 1.0 to a secondary buffer, blur it, and draw it on top of the regular scene...it should actually give an even more realistic bloom than any outside post-process effect could, since the actual lighting calculations would be involved.

kybalion

Orkin said:
Might be possible...it seems feasable if implemented in the plugin that one could even take the values from the lighting calculations, and instead of clamping the values from 0.0-1.0, could render everything above 1.0 to a secondary buffer, blur it, and draw it on top of the regular scene...it should actually give an even more realistic bloom than any outside post-process effect could, since the actual lighting calculations would be involved.

And would that work with ati cards?

Toast Siege

EmuTalk Memberr
^^^I don't see why not, unless the author has a thing against ATI cards, or something. The dlls the OP referred to were specifically engineered to work with nVidia's OpenGL API; to achieve relatively widespread compatibility with games in general. Orkin has said above that implementing his version would involve adding to the method of the N64's light computation, which means there's nothing there to restrict ATI cards... short answer, no.

EDIT: Ack, I typed no, didn't I? I meant yes.

Last edited:

gandalf

Member ready to help
would work on ATI cards (also, orkin have an ATI radeon)
The only thing is that the plug-in will only "calculate more lighting" and will work without problem in NVidia or ATI

OP
M

Magitaro

Before we continue on with too much speculation as to hardware requirements, has Orkin actually confirmed that he is/will be working on this?

Edit: What I meant was that he only said it could be done, not that he was doing it. I guess I don't really know Orkin... Does that mean he's working on it?

Last edited:

Toast Siege

EmuTalk Memberr
I can't tell if that's a rhetorical question or if you actually haven't seen what he's said already here(???). Anyway, no, I haven't heard anything about this outside of this thread. (However I was just answering in theoretical terms)

kybalion

nice! , well, I think Orkin should definitely work on this, if he releases a plugin with high res textures support, the cell shading thingie AND this, he would totally kick ass =)

Googol

Give me back my floppy face!
He probably won't be working on it {i]now[/i], but he'd probably try it later on. He seems to have enough on his plate with the next Direct64 as it is, so probably not.