What's new

PD...soundage

vidiot

I’ve been trying to get Perfect Dark to work on my machine (nvidia 6600 GT/1.8 cpu/512 mb ram) but to no avail. Well actually I’m pretty close… I think… :plain:

So I first started with 1964, but it was too slow. Then I tried Project64 and the speed increased incredibly. Then I switched roms from the European version to US version because the camspy didn’t work. (I think the sky in the 2nd level is also not missing in the US version as well, that’s what I was told.) Using Jabo’s Direct3D8 1.6 plugin I was incredibly happy with the results. Now if only the sound wasn’t horrible.

I’ve read on these forums that Jabo’s DirectSound 1.6 is fantastic, which I guess it is. When I use it on 1964 the sound goes all to hell though (pauses, cracks, pops, stutters, explodes) I checked the “Sync game to audio” which of course, doesn’t work, unless I’m doing something wrong when I check the box. I get better performance with that plugin when using Project64, but when I get into the game the sound gets incredibly annoying (pauses, cracks, pops, stutters, explodes). There seems to be a lot of topics about sound and Perfect Dark on these forums, I apologize if this has been answered correctly before but I have yet to find a thread that has helped me. Thanks.

lalahmpf

Well then what soundcard do you use? I personally had problems with annoying sound while using project 64 1.6 but the problems were gone when i killed the svchost.exe which seemed to execute some sort of audio service (either software from my "creative soundblaster player 1024" soundcard or an emulated sounddevice from "total recorder")

OP
V

vidiot

Well I’m happy to report after wading through an uncountable number of threads here I have solved to some degree my problem. I replaced the RSP.dll with the one from Mupen and my sound problems have practically all but dissipated. YAY. :party:

It sometimes slows or stutters but only if I’m using nightvision or the camspy. The sound is incredibly clearer than before and I suggest anyone who has been having problems with this rom to do the same. (Rename the Mupen RSP plugin to “RSP.dll” and replace the one by the same name in your plugin’s folder.) What is this “svchost”? I’ve seen it a lot in my taskmanager but I don’t touch it because it says the system is running it and I have had really bad experiences in the past when ending system programs.

Now I’m off trying to find out how to fix the black sky... If it can be fixed… :p

OP
V

vidiot

THANKS! But uhm, what Rice Plugin do you use? I used the latest but I stopped because it looked like the game was (lack of a better use of words) “flipping out”. Textures were flickering all over the place. I used some other older ones but I got pretty much the same result (flickering textures)

Clements

vidiot said:
What is this “svchost”? I’ve seen it a lot in my taskmanager but I don’t touch it because it says the system is running it and I have had really bad experiences in the past when ending system programs.

Normal system processes on Win2000/XP based systems. You should not try to shut those down.