What's new

Firefox 1.04 Released

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Yay! Another firefox release! ^_^
3 critical security fixes and a fix for dhtml... hmmm.

Last edited:

dogdogwoof

Part-Time Coder/Sleeper
yeah, its great they can respond so quickly. unfortunately microsoft dont do the same for IE. 54% of my site users now use Firefox

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i like firefox, and wish it all the best, but it's starting to piss me off just a little - i wait several days for the en-GB to come out (why does it take so long, its only a few tiny differences?). now the page offers it, but the download link doesn't work. so i ftp myself and get it. now i have to complete reinstall. this is fine, but how are most users supposed to do this? they're going to carry on using older versions. imho fx badly needs the small-patcher implemented, apparently its coming in 1.1. if it's faster though that's great. i've always found it very slow, contrary to most claims, using lots of memory and often taking a long time to respond. i stick with it though becuase i like the philosophy and the extensions, to name two things :D

edit: that sounded whiney, i realized right after posting, i was just in a bad mood at the time, sorry! they're doing a good job, i can only imagine how hard it is when you've got tens of millions of users. and yes, there's a development process that you can't get around. if i'm going to have an unproductive whine better to do it here than where the developers might see :p

Last edited:

Doomulation

Yes, there's a lot of things that could be fixed with firefox. But it seems the developers don't have time. Prolly many security issues to fix or something? Nevertheless, it's far better than IE.

Trotterwatch

Do you have any idea how development works?

They can't just think features up and implement them without some sort of backlash when they are considered glitched/bugged and badly thought out.

New features will arrive as and when they can be implemented in a proper manner.

There really is no purpose in rush adding features just for the sake of it. Go check the bug tracker for any issues you have, see if they are being worked on or not. Don't just assume.

And I really can't believe people whining about security fixes - I thought that was one of the big selling points of Firefox, as opposed to using something like a tabbed browsing enabled version of IE.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
trotter yer sorry i was whining, but, i was whining about:

1) the update system being too hard for normal people to use. true. this will get better though.
2) firefox being slow and a resource hog. also i believe true. this is also gettting better slightly (and some issues like taking minutes to restore from minimised are fixed), hoping for a major improvement though.

both these points go against the general perception, which is why i think they're interesting to post.

but yeah i should not be whining, but like i said, i can, and here it won't do much harm, so sometimes i just will :p

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

Wasn't aimed at you to be honest ;)

1) Agreed - as you mentioned should be fixed in 1.1. I definately think this is something that should be implemented ASAP.

2) There is a tweak to stop the slow restore from minimised, I'll let you know it later when I remember it :p

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Firefox isn't slow for me (well duh) but wasn't on my Athlon XP 2400+ either, in fact the only time its ever been slow for me is when I used the previous releases of it, Phoenix and Firebird.

Why wait for the en-GB? the en-US is more than good enough for the british, we speak the same language as the americans do after all. If the differences are that little then I fail to see the problem. (btw, I am british ;))

Clements

I must say, it is kind of grating to see American spellings constantly rammed down our throats instead of actual British English with the correct spellings for my language. All it takes is to look in the General tab of the Options menu and you see "Fonts & Colors".

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
American English, British English, it's all the same to me... I pretty much speak a hybrid of it now. Color is used in HTML too, where's our british version of HTML then? :p

American spellings get "rammed" down our throats because there is more of them than us, when i'm on the net I tend to talk their "version" of english. Think of it this way... what's the point of getting uptight about it, its no better for us to ram our version of english down their throats is it?

I could quite easily every time I see the word color post a reply saying "that's not how its spelt it is COLOUR", the simple truth is both spellings are correct.

Last edited:

smegforbrain

Clements said:
I must say, it is kind of grating to see American spellings constantly rammed down our throats instead of actual British English with the correct spellings for my language. All it takes is to look in the General tab of the Options menu and you see "Fonts & Colors".

Silly Brits. :D

Doomulation

Trotterwatch said:
Do you have any idea how development works?

They can't just think features up and implement them without some sort of backlash when they are considered glitched/bugged and badly thought out.

New features will arrive as and when they can be implemented in a proper manner.

There really is no purpose in rush adding features just for the sake of it. Go check the bug tracker for any issues you have, see if they are being worked on or not. Don't just assume.

And I really can't believe people whining about security fixes - I thought that was one of the big selling points of Firefox, as opposed to using something like a tabbed browsing enabled version of IE.
Naturally. But I haven't seen a single feature being implemted, and it's not hard. It seems the developers merely has other things higher in their priority list. And if this is the case, then I would assume that which is higher in the priority list is more important.
Hmmm... this gives me a theory. A new version is definetly underway, but new versions are buggy at first! So, I take it that they take the source of the previous release (like, they modified the 1.03 firefox source for 1.04 release) to fix the security holes they've found. The new features will be available in the next full non-security fix release. Hmmmm... yes... that sounds reasonable.

That's good!

Allnatural

Anyone experiencing crashes with the new version? I'm back on the previous build now; 1.0.4 was crashing constantly.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
No crashes here. Maybe it's a fault of an extension. I've also read that crashes may occur if you ever had a zipped Firefox distributable installed in the past. In that case deleting the "C:\Documents and Settings\YourAcountName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox" directory is a workaround.

Allnatural

PsyMan said:
No crashes here. Maybe it's a fault of an extension. I've also read that crashes may occur if you ever had a zipped Firefox distributable installed in the past. In that case deleting the "C:\Documents and Settings\YourAcountName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox" directory is a workaround.
Nah, not using any extensions. I didn't delete my profile prior to installing though, so I'll try that later.