What's new

Emulator

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Hmmmm. I just wanted to know.
If I were to make an emulator as to exceed my skills, anybody who'd help me or any information?
I just wanna see if I can do it.
Maybe I'll make an emulator in the future if I pull through :)
BTW, is there any other documentation than Microsoft's on DirectX? It's kinda confusing to me.

Remote

Doomulation said:
Hmmmm. I just wanted to know.
If I were to make an emulator as to exceed my skills, anybody who'd help me or any information?
I just wanna see if I can do it.
Maybe I'll make an emulator in the future if I pull through :)
BTW, is there any other documentation than Microsoft's on DirectX? It's kinda confusing to me.

I am sure there are plenty of people out there more then willing to help out, either by giving you a tip or two or by providing information crusial to the project. For DirectX releated material MSDN is probaly your best bet, and eventhough the DirectX SDK has gotten a little heavy, I would not recomend getting a cut down version without examples and docs. If you feel uneasy about downloading the entire SDK with your modem, I know I would, then do not. Order a DirectX book which has the SDK enbundeled, it is cheapier and more reliable.

There are numerous sites that offer DirectX tutorials, check google and I am sure you will come up with a handfull of good tutorials. At the time of writing the only link I can provide you with is NeXe, it contains what you need to get started.

And do yourself a favor, think small. Small does not neccesary mean bad, it could, but if you find yourself trying to code a Nintendo 64 emulator without neccesary experince you will be disappointed, and most likely you will not finish the huge undertaking you have started. Start small and let your progress reflect your work.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

LOL! I wasn't going to be starting coding an nintendo 64 emulator! I'm just trying this to extend my programming skills, and 'cuz I'm intrested in this stuff.

We'll see if I write an emulator later off. But that it a LOT later I'd guess. I'll just start small and try to get as many games working as possible. Then I'll see how far I can get it. Maybe I can get most games working, hm?

Thanks for the info and the link, btw.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Hmmm, oh yes. I think I'll do it in OpenGL instead.
Accoring to my sources, I have a tutorial for OpenGL, and, for another reason, as Jabo told me.
The frame buffer will be easier to emulate in n64 with OpenGL. So I start small and when I maybe start an n64 emulator, it would do the frame-buffer easily.
And after all, OpenGL is better than DirectX... or isn't it?

Remote

No, they are equal and I see no reason for why you should not learn both, except for time, later on in life you will not be limited to a single API. And regarding the framebuffers, I guess you should take Jabo's word on it, he knows, I do not. You are heading in one direction, graphics, an emu requires more parts to become complete, and do not make the mistake of jumping infront off the DirectX, OpenGl train before you have advequate coding skills.

mesman00

What's that...?
wow that site is great, ive been lookin for some good directx tutorials for a while, that what seems to be best!

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Well... I guess I should learn both then, hm?
I must learn to use those too, in order to make one.
I'll just both and start to try learning the basics of an emulator.
Let's see how this works out...
The basics are the first I guess.