What's new

Windows XP x64 Thread

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Microsoft has finnally released the final version of WinXP x64. So have you guys tried it already? Do you feel any boost on perfomance? Any Compatibility issues? Any weird things? And more important, do you recommend it?

Eagle

aka Alshain
t0rek said:
Microsoft has finnally released the final version of WinXP x64. So have you guys tried it already? Do you feel any boost on perfomance? Any Compatibility issues? Any weird things? And more important, do you recommend it?

Well there is no reason to rush out and buy it as it wont give you THAT much performance boost. If you have a 64 bit processor and Windows XP Pro that came with the computer, you can get it free though Overall it will boost performance a little so if your buying a new PC you will want it, but no need to upgrade just because its there.

smcd

Currently 64bit drivers are rather limited, not a lot of companies have drivers out for it yet AFAIK.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Yeah, i've tried it out myself and performance wise i'm very impressed. Windows itself seems a lot smoother and even small apps like the picture viewer seem faster too, i've done a few benchmarks too and even 32 bit apps get a performance increase, which is great to see.

The only bad thing about it is driver support, there was 2 pieces of hardware I have which aint got drivers, my modem (but thompson are working on drivers) and my eyetoy (yes, it can be used on the pc with hacked drivers)

I'm staying dual boot for the moment until drivers are released for my modem, then when they are i'm going to stay x64

jdsony

Yeah I'm waiting for Sound Card drivers mainly. Luckily my card is made by a Creative owned company so at least there is some support. Gotta wait until Quarter 3 2005 though. It's going to be a while for support though. The move to XP was a big one because a lot of drivers were for Win9x and 2000 wasn't very popular for a home system. Now they gotta play catch up with 64bit...there's gotta be an easier way.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
You will need to have an x64 processor (the AMD Athlon 64, AMD Opteron, Intel Pentium 4 with EM64T, or Intel Xeon with EM64T) to run the new software.
Hmm, I suppose it's safe to assume, huh?