What's new

IE Search Bar

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Do you guys know how to remove "my search" bar from IE ? I use Firefox 99.9% of time, but that IE bar is bugging me and I want to unistall it. I already tried with an Spybot S&D scan, and looking for it on the "add/remove programs" thing. What else could I do?

Last edited:

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
the easy way - Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> uncheck Enable Third Party Extensions

the hard way would actually require you to google how to remove the thing :p

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
It didn't work, I searched on google, and finded no solution. I didn't find any registry keys about that bar? whal else I could do?

zorbid

->start\run\regedit32

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run

There you should find the lines that launch the bar at startup (among other sometimes usefull things). Edit the line that launches the search bar (you'll have to guess the right one) and add "rem" without the quotes at the beginning. Restart the computer, and make sure that the bar isn't loaded anymore. Check the folder where the registry entry pointed to. Search your hard disk for copies of the files you find there (these pests tend to install themselves at multiple places), and delete anyting you find that matches the files names.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Hmm, there are two apps to find and remove such spyware...
CWSShredder and Hijack this or something. Both were apps designed to remove those friggin' spyware.