What's new

SND files driving me crazy!

Onky

Hazuki Ryo DA!
I've been ripping some good old Dreamcast audio, but one I just can't do is the SND files found on certain games. I thought maybe it would just be a type of ADX file, but to no avail, running it through the ADX decoders just makes garbage sound :(

What makes things harder is that SND is an extension already used by a different codec... Can anyone help me on this one?

spunky

mad dog...
which game? maybe the next version (v0.25b 2007-2010) has a soundrip modul, wait so long...

STC-Fan

Dollop.
The SND format is a variant of the AU sound format, so it should be playable in any application that supports them (WinAMP, foobar2000, WMP, etc). But I'm guessing it's not, seeing as you haven't had any luck playing them, and that these DC SND files are actually an entirely different (proprietary... ugh, hate that word :p) format.

One thing to do is to try importing the sound as raw data into an app like Audacity and keep fiddling with the different settings (byte order, frequency, sampling rate etc) when you import the file until you get something that sounds decent. But if it's a compressed format, you probably won't be able to get anything that sounds much good, in which case I suppose you'd have to wait for an SND to WAV converter to be developed, or for what spunky suggested.

Also, have a look inside the file with a hex editor and post here the first 5-10 or so lines of data in the file, might be able to identify what it is that way (this is how I IDed some mysterious AIFC audio files once from the 3DO version of Cannon Fodder, and I did actually find a converter for them in the end, albeit only the source code, which I haven't been able to compile).

OP
O

Onky

Hazuki Ryo DA!
Here's what I get in a XVI, though doesn't look very helpful... woe is me!