What's new

does chankast run games straight from the CD-drive ?

qap_98

does chankast run games straight from the CD-drive ? I actual own a dreamcast and plenty of games i bought. Does the chankcast emulator run games from the cd-r drive ? or do you have to rep from the cd then play from hard drive ?

KoHaN69

Game-a-holic
yes, if its a nonselfboot backup
bit images WILL RUN FASTER-highly recommend making images of ur backups

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
qap_98 said:
does chankast run games straight from the CD-drive ? I actual own a dreamcast and plenty of games i bought. Does the chankcast emulator run games from the cd-r drive ? or do you have to rep from the cd then play from hard drive ?

Nevermind what that other idiot said. You can run games directly from your CD/DVD-ROM drive, provided that you are trying to play a backup on CD-R, retail copies of games will not work. Just configure Chankast for the drive that you want to use and have the game in there when you run the emu.

Just a note, Kohan's response came in after I posted. The idiot I was referring to that you should ignore was Ruddrage, just so there's no confusion.

Last edited:

Ruddrage

generalplot said:
Just a note, Kohan's response came in after I posted. The idiot I was referring to that you should ignore was Ruddrage, just so there's no confusion.

I was just pointing him to the sticky, theres no need to be rude.

Back to the Question. I would follow KoHaN69 advice, Chankast runs alot faster if the images are on you HD and not running from your CD drive.

OP
Q

qap_98

generalplot said:
Nevermind what that other idiot said. You can run games directly from your CD/DVD-ROM drive, provided that you are trying to play a backup on CD-R, retail copies of games will not work. Just configure Chankast for the drive that you want to use and have the game in there when you run the emu.

what do you mean by back up ? do i have to burn game over to cd-r ? Can i use nero ? How would i make a back up.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
As a note: in order to make a backup to CD-R (yes that's what I mean by backup), you will need a real Dreamcast, a coder's cable or network interface (network adaptor) for that Dreamcast, a copy of Phantasy Star Online and some "special" software to make the magic happen. You cannot rip an original Dreamcast game with a standard PC CD/DVD-ROM, as no PC drive can read them (except for the few cases that are mentioned in the tread "Ripping GDR's with a normal CD drive" that can be found on this same forum. Hope this helps.

chankabrazil!!!

the people is forgotting that the most imprortant thing is make a image to run these games(and these must to be selfbootable) download "Clone Cd" that will made a image(.ccd) for you!

viva the emulators!!!

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
qap_98 said:
can i use a dvd drive ?

Did you not understand my last post? No PC CD or DVD drive can read original retail copies of Dreamcast game. This is the reason for the need of a real Dreamcast (which does the actual reading of the game and sends it to your PC either by network card and router to your PC or by the coders cable. Those are your only options.

chankabrazil!!! said:
the people is forgotting that the most imprortant thing is make a image to run these games(and these must to be selfbootable) download "Clone Cd" that will made a image(.ccd) for you!

viva the emulators!!!

But this only works if you already have a CD-R backup of the game already. Otherwise, no software can change that.