What's new

Command Line Support...

trebor

Is this at all possible to be implemented in Project64? Nothing fancy, and no switches/options are needed - Just zip rom support from a command line.

I.E.:
"project64.exe Super Mario 64 [!].zip"

Then Super Mario 64 ROM would launch with whatever variables are all ready previously set when the emulator was launched previous via the normal GUI way.

-Trebor

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Pj supports being able to launch games currently as you typed above. It does not support any type of switches, though (afaik)

OP
T

trebor

Let's me be more specific. The following line:

D:\Emulators\Project64>project64.exe "D:\N64 ROMS\Super Mario 64 (U) [!].zip"

Results in a Windows popping up with the title "Error". The description: "Attempt to open file failed". I click 'OK'. Then the Project64 ROM selection interface appears.

Any ideas/fixes?

Thanks In Advance,
Trebor

OP
T

trebor

OK. I just found the problem:

This works:
D:\Emulators\Project64>project64.exe D:\N64 ROMS\Super Mario 64 (U) [!].zip

This doesn't:

Is there anyway, or is it possible for Project 64 to ignore/accept the quotes. The Front-End I utlilize (Game Launcher) *has* to use the quotes. I use the same Front End for: MAME, MESS, Nestopia, ZSNES, Kega Fusion, Meka, StellaW, ePSXe, Magic Engine, VisualBoy Advance & Neopop.

*Please*, can someone fix Project64 to accept the quotes?

-Trebor

DemonSui

What's a F0rum
trebor said:
OK. I just found the problem:

This works:
D:\Emulators\Project64>project64.exe D:\N64 ROMS\Super Mario 64 (U) [!].zip

This doesn't:

Is there anyway, or is it possible for Project 64 to ignore/accept the quotes. The Front-End I utlilize (Game Launcher) *has* to use the quotes. I use the same Front End for: MAME, MESS, Nestopia, ZSNES, Kega Fusion, Meka, StellaW, ePSXe, Magic Engine, VisualBoy Advance & Neopop.

*Please*, can someone fix Project64 to accept the quotes?

-Trebor
someone can't type..

This doesn't:
That shouldn't even read

It should be this:
This doesn't:
"D:\Emulators\Project64>project64.exe "D:\N64 ROMS\Super Mario 64 (U) [!].zip"

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
DemonSui said:
someone can't type..

This doesn't:
That shouldn't even read

It should be this:
This doesn't:
Someone can't read more like.

there is now three quotation marks in your "correction", Windows will reject that if you use it in a shortcut.

" (1) D:\Emulators\Project64>project64.exe " (2) D:\N64 ROMS\Super Mario 64 (U) [!].zip" (3)

Don't go around correcting people's posts... that is rude. As such deserves a rude responce. like this. :p

Sometimes the words: "If you've got nothing nice to say don't say it" can't be more true.

Last edited:
OP
T

trebor

DemonSui said:
someone can't type..

This doesn't:
That shouldn't even read

It should be this:
This doesn't:

DemonSui, thanks for the non-helpful input! :devil: I meant what I typed. :p I carefully checked that. :bouncy: Additionally, the same results occur whether you issue the line from the Run Dialog box or via a Command Prompt (DOS Box). The latter is what I am concerned with, although I'm sure if it works in one, it will work in the other.

ScottJC, thanks for correcting DemonSui, and pointing out the flaw in his so-called correction. :happy:

Anyhow, back on track with the subject. The same results also occur, if the ROM resides in the same directory as the emulator:

Examples:
This works:
D:\Emulators\Project64>project64.exe Super Mario 64 (U) [!].zip

This doesn't:
D:\Emulators\Project64>project64.exe "Super Mario 64 (U) [!].zip"

-Trebor

DemonSui

What's a F0rum
trebor said:
DemonSui, thanks for the non-helpful input! :devil:
-Trebor
no problem :evil:

ok, so I missed that, try this (on run):
"D:\program files\project64\project64.exe" "D:\N64 ROMS\Super Mario 64 (U) [!].zip" if that don't work I'm almost outa ideas.

Last edited:
OP
T

trebor

Let me clarify a little more. The following emulators run fine utilizing the line structure that Project64 has a problem with: MESS, MAME, Nestopia, ZSNES, Kega Fusion, ePSXe, MekaW, StellaW, VisualBoy Advance, NeoPop...Those are just the ones that I'm currently using. I know the following emulators also work using that same line structure that Project64 has a problem with: Gens, Z26, JNES (and many other NES emulators), SNES9x...and the list goes on.

The line structure:

D:\Any Emulator>Anyemu.exe "D:\Any rom directory\Any rom name.zip"
or
D:\Any Emulator>Anyemu.exe "Any rom name.zip"

All aforementioned emulators can run both line structures without a problem.

I believe the problem lies with Project64 believing the quote is part of the ROM name, or it has problems reading quotes entirely. DemonSui, I appreciate the quick replies, however, the structure of the line has to remain the same. FWIW, I tried your idea:

"D:\emulators\project64\project64.exe" "D:\N64 ROMS\Super Mario 64 (U) [!].zip"

Same results. No dice. Again I believe Project64 has problems interpeting the quotes as being part of the ROM name, or just has problems reading quotes in general.

-Trebor

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
You can just not include the quotation marks if that works, if you are using some frontend program you can report the problem to them and ask them to add an option like "no quotation marks"

OP
T

trebor

Thanks ScottJJ for replying again. But I guess I'm SOL. I originally posted because I believed Project64 did not have command line support. The front-end program runs fine for every other emulator that states it has command line support.

IMHO, the problem does not lie with the front end. It's with Project64's command-line support. I do not believe basic command line support is properly implemented in Project64. Nonetheless, thank you again for replying, and you too DemonSui for trying to help out.

-Trebor