What's new

Im having trouble playing any games.

HD18

Im using 1.6 and so far I only have perfect dark, zelda ocarina of time, and pokemon stadium 2. Perfect dark is so hard to run because it runs at only 30fps so its really really slow. Pokemon stadium 2 has choppy sound and it goes slow at some parts like some menus but the gameplay is ok sometimes. And Zelda was going good other than some choppy sound up until I got to Hyrule castle,now it will freeze randomly, not just the game but it will freeze my whole computer and I have to restart using the power switch. Anyway can I fix any of these especially the choppy sound? Im using a laptop with a Intel Celeron 2.8Ghz cpu, 448MB of ram, and a Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP AGP.

Last edited:

jamesyfx

I had the same with my Celeron laptop. I've found that using 1964 instead gives you more than enough fps.

OP
H

HD18

1964 was even worse, really slow with everygame and even worse choppy sound.

madh83

Your graphics card is pretty old, and it is integrated right? Emulation requires pretty powerful systems, but maybe you can get some games working with a little tweaking. Stick with Jabo's d3d6, it seems to work pretty well in zelda. As for sound in project 64 make sure that the sync to game setting is checked.

spork9

RU D0WN W1TH 00P?
madh83, n64 emulation requires fairly low requirments. See the Help guide for more info.

madh83

While there's no arguing what the help file says, it doesn't make me or him run games like perfect dark any faster simply because the help file says the requirements are such and such. Since in that particular game the framerate drops significantly, on my computer and his. I can only assume to run such games it requires a faster computer. And I consider systems faster than 2Ghz to be decent without a great graphics card, powerful with a good one. So if our 'decent' computers cannot run such games at a decent framerate, then I would think a more powerful one was needed(perhaps just a better graphics card).

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
A gfx card doesn't really matter in emulation you know... they give little to no boost in performance.

JinXD

Doomulation said:
A gfx card doesn't really matter in emulation you know... they give little to no boost in performance.
Indeed, the CPU is almost always the bottleneck....

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
If you are using jabo's directsound be sure that the sync game to audio option is enabled, and you'll have to enable it on all games the first time you play them.

The recommended clock for the cpu is 1200 Mhz so i don't think that would be a problem

Last edited:

MonkeyforaHead

Stays crunchy in miak
Oddly enough, even though my PC is subpar and the graphics card is so-so, Perfect Dark doesn't seem to run much slower for me than any of the other games (around 45-50 FPS, sometimes it reaches the full 60 in areas with low detail, though the menu screens tend to drop to about 22). :huh:

Wait, the last time I ever played it was in 1.5.1. That might have something to do with it, eh? :unsure:

madh83

Ever run a game in epsxe under the software gpu then run it under pete's opengl or direct3d gpu? That difference isn't because your cpu suddenly got faster.

RadeonUser

Doomulation said:

Actually... if you look around you'll see most people are having all sorts of problems on the older generation of cards... While the Radeon 8500 and higher seems to be best... I dont know what's happening on Nvidia's side but from the input we've been receiving there seems to be a problem from anything lower than an FX... and that's a bit disturbing.

Lets take a look at the games that were marked slow before for example... They need at the very least 64MB of 'fast' DDR ram on the graphics card itself to achieve 'optimal' performance. That's quite a good percentage right off the bat that dont meet that... including those who have graphics adapters using the system ram (this a real yikes! now).

Most low end solutions dont provide pixel shader support (proper or otherwise) so that's a notch higher than before... DX6 is no longer the minimum for the "best" visual experience... and it hasnt been for quite a while if you've been following other people's plugins.

We're now in the age where owning a multi ghz machine is quite easily realized... You can get a very cheap dell with a p4 that *should* handle emulation just fine (a 2 ghz p4 should be enough for n64 emulation). Except... they tend to a bundle a graphics card from the dark ages... A Geforce 2 or a TNT2 variant... Where for the love of all that is reasonable are they still getting these archaic cards???

Anyhow CPU in N64 emulation (PJ64 at least) shouldn't be too limiting a factor nowadays... I recall when I used to beta test PJ64 1.2 (i think?) on a paltry P2 300 mhz machine... Now THAT is a bottleneck :p

smcd

madh83 said:
Ever run a game in epsxe under the software gpu then run it under pete's opengl or direct3d gpu? That difference isn't because your cpu suddenly got faster.

It doesn't get faster, but the CPU is freed from having to compute the graphics, some of the work is offloaded to the GPU, leaving the CPU available to run other stuff. That's the reason for the increase in performance.

HShadow

Playstation 1 basher
You can see my specs and i have no problems with slow down. Only once in PD have i noticed a very very slight drop.