What's new

No go for Office 2003!?!

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Hey guys, need help!
I formated and reinstalled my whole system, but created myself (before I formated the whole HDD) a ready to install version of MY WinXP (please, I don't need warez infos, my version is an official one) patched with Service Pack 1&2 (download nlite to learn more about that feature...).
I instaled it, installed my progz, but now I have a BIG problem: I can't install Office 2003 Professional, because some windows files are replaced and I need to insert a WinXP Service pack 2 Home Edition Install CD... I only have my Autoboot/Autoinstall Nlite WinXP Home SP2 patched CD, but there is the whole structure very different compared to the Original WinXP Home CD... Is there any change to install it? Need it!

JinXD

MasterPhW said:
Hey guys, need help!
I formated and reinstalled my whole system, but created myself (before I formated the whole HDD) a ready to install version of MY WinXP (please, I don't need warez infos, my version is an official one) patched with Service Pack 1&2 (download nlite to learn more about that feature...).
I instaled it, installed my progz, but now I have a BIG problem: I can't install Office 2003 Professional, because some windows files are replaced and I need to insert a WinXP Service pack 2 Home Edition Install CD... I only have my Autoboot/Autoinstall Nlite WinXP Home SP2 patched CD, but there is the whole structure very different compared to the Original WinXP Home CD... Is there any change to install it? Need it!
Why don't you just slipstream your original XP CD with SP2? Google slipstreaming for more info....

EDIT: Just noticed you say you only have this nlite CD image, what happened to your original XP disc?
EDIT2: Try re-installing SP2, I've had this problem with Windows 2000, re-installing SP4 solved it.

Last edited:

smcd

I don't like Office 2003, or Open Office - I like Office 2000. Referring him to something else doesn't really solve the installation issue. I have to agree with jinxd, where's your original XP CD? Should be able to just put that in and use it for the missing files, whatever they may be. When I installed Office 2003 it didn't ask for anything like that, and I used a custom XP install CD.

Eagle

aka Alshain
sethmcdoogle said:
I don't like Office 2003, or Open Office - I like Office 2000. Referring him to something else doesn't really solve the installation issue.

No, but it adds an alternative. I don't know of a way to solve his problem. If someone else does, then great, otherwise OpenOffice is a temporary solution until he finds his CD.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
It doesn't matter if the structure is changed. Just point in the drive where your CD is placed and select the required file. It should work as long as there is an "I386" folder in the CD. :)
There is also an alternative solution but you should try this one first.

PS: A shot of the exact message that windows show you and a shot that shows the contents of the patched WinXP CD whould be great.

Last edited:
OP
MasterPhW

MasterPhW

PsyMan said:
It doesn't matter if the structure is changed. Just point in the drive where your CD is placed and select the required file. It should work as long as there is an "I386" folder in the CD. :)
There is also an alternative solution but you should try this one first.

PS: A shot of the exact message that windows show you and a shot that shows the contents of the patched WinXP CD whould be great.
No, you can't search for any file...
And sorry for the confusion, I still have my WinXP CD, but these files haven't the right version AFAIk, that's why Office says to me: Wrong CD inserted...
And I've done some screenshots of the problem and the path, but I think the problem will not help a lot I'm on a German system...
Sorry for the bad quality of the second pic!

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Weird... Everything seems fine.
Windows tend to remember the path that they were installed from. This may lead to several problems. Try to insert the Windows disk (the one that contains SP2, not the original) in all of your drives (even inside the drive that contains the Office CD) when this message appears. If this doesn't fix the problem then... I'm afraid I don't know a solution.

The weird part is that I also made a "patched" WinXP disk with SP2, SATA drivers, pre-installed software, etc. but I can successfully install Office 2003...

OP
MasterPhW

MasterPhW

No go... I tried every drive, with both WinXP-, with my microsoft service pack 2- and my office-CD...
The baddest thing on the whole fucking story is, that the setup.chm is afaik an help file, and a help file keep me back from installing... :(
Dunno... probably another one can help?
BTW: thanks psyman for the effort!

JinXD

Have you tried re-installing SP2 ontop of your current installation, I'm quite confident this will solve your problem....

flow``

flow``
if nothing else, copy office 2003 to your hdd, slipstream SP1, and try installing from your hdd

the worst i could think is that nlite (if you shrunk your xp installation) removed some files needed by office... so... go ahead and rip your xp cd, use nlite to slipstream sp2 and just do a normal install (personally, i'd say screw nlite and slipstream it yourself, be a man!). then re-install office and see how it goes. i never saw the point in shrinking xp personally.

btw, service packs are cummulative (at least for windows) so you only need sp2

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Other than that, can't you just ignore some files? It looked like there were three options... skipping an help file couldn't be that bad, if the worst came to.

OP
MasterPhW

MasterPhW

Yeah, got it...
I did it a little bit like doom said:
I used the user definied install, installed only the really neccesary files and after that all other files are installed if they are needed... thanky for ya all! :)