PDA

View Full Version : Super Smash Bros Melee topic

Knuckles
February 22nd, 2005, 04:12
I'm not usually the one that will make a thread only for one game, but I like this game and while still testing over the released version of dolwin, I found out some awesome stuff.

First of all, you already know about the patch I did to make the game to boot (US GALE version)

Next thing is while "trying" to find a fix for the bug where it hangs if you don't change language (like in dolphin) I noticed that I didn't changed it and it went ingame with no problem.... I tried again, no luck.... I played with the debugger to see if it was smth I jumped or anything, not luck again, I had some crashes tho.... Now the great thing, after playing with the CPU settings of Dolwin, I found the PERFECT settings, the game runs almost as fast as on dolphin (around 6fps) but it's REALLY stable!

-NO random crashes
-NO need to change language , means you can play and clear 1P modes.
-NO wrap from a place to another in the level

Now what you need to do:

-Be sure you have the US version of SSBM
-download and put the patch for the game in dolwin
link : http://www.emutalk.net/showpost.php?p=257633&postcount=5
-----If you have a GALE ID with another number than 74, just rename to patch to the number of your game, but IT MUST be the id GALE.
-modify your GAMES.INI to those:

[GALE74]
alttitle=Super Smash Brothers Melee (USA)
comment=Playable with patch (remove mem cards)
cf = 8
delay = 3
bailout = 2
//arenaLo = 0x80403100
//arenaHi = 0x81600000
//loadrun = data\SSBM.s
//lnfo =

-remove BOTH memcards (otherwise the game won't start at all)
-start the game

Now you should be able to play for the time you want. Here's an "accelerated" video (FRAPS 1.90) of ~3 mins of gameplay (for the real game)

codec: xvid
lenght: 2:56mins
resolution : 636x478 (yeah, weird, not 640x480 but close)
Size: 10.2MB

DOWNLOAD HERE (http://alpha.emulation64.com/DOLWIN/SSBM_dolwin_accelerated.avi)

EDIT: sry for the places I pause or I don't move, I was talking on irc at the same time :P

enjoy!

txOjO
February 22nd, 2005, 19:19
ufff! Impresionant!
It's the most advanced progress i can see in the last weeks :)
Thank's for the video.

JinXD
February 22nd, 2005, 19:53
Yeah, really nice video!!

Knuckles
February 23rd, 2005, 05:54
UPDATE!

After some hard debugging on 2 computers, comparing games for missing CARD stuff, I managed to fully modify the .MAP file for SSBM and now, you can load/save on mem cards! :D The only problem found is the ingame timer not working (played time, power time, etc.) everything else works like a charm :)

see attached shots for proof and the map itself is attached too.

How to install:
simply extract the GALE74.MAP from the zip and put it in your dolwin/data/ directory, overwrite if it already exists.

WARNING!: I found a bug while testing (Posty reported a similar problem but I think that's that one I've got) the game won't load if all the 4 gamepads aren't enabled 9it will stay at a grey screen)!! You NEED to enable them all to boot the game, I dunno to what it's related but I'll prolly find a way to fix that one day. I'm not sure, but anyway, who cares, you can play like you want and save :) Even with 4 players! :)

SIDE NOTE: the image I have is shrinked, if by all I said you can't make it work, it's prolly why, just report, I will try to get it back and don't shrink it, then make back the patch and the map.

Federelli
February 23rd, 2005, 12:07
Knux, any change for an GALP (Euro version) patch?
Congrats on your findings

spyro32
February 23rd, 2005, 13:08
man thats some cool progress.to bad my ssbm id is GALP.oh well ill jus have 2 wait :bouncy: :whistling :saint:

Knuckles
February 23rd, 2005, 15:59
I'll prolly try to get the PAL version too, I know most of your got it so I'll make one for that one too (if I find it of course).

Also, if anyone with the US version can test it, can you report if it's working or not plz?

_Chrono_
February 23rd, 2005, 16:08
I'll prolly try to get the PAL version too, I know most of your got it so I'll make one for that one too (if I find it of course).

Also, if anyone with the US version can test it, can you report if it's working or not plz?

ill test it out today :) nice job Knux :icecream:
how much time did it take you to fix all of the memcard instructions? lol

Federelli...i checked out GALP version but its weird. if knux doesnt have time, ill try to look deaper into it this weekend.

EDIT: Success!!! I got GALP to work! ill post patch soon. no need to enable all controllers for PAL version and Memcards work(me thinks) without any modifications to the .map file.

EDIT2: Ok here's the patch. For some unknown reason the C-stick is stcuk in the Down/Left position. Either the Digital or analog pad is also stuck in the Down (possibly Down/Left also) position. But still, the game is playable. No need to change language for it to go ingame. and...well thats it...

ohh yeah! it does take about a minute before it actually starts/displays something...its going threw code that i have no clue what it does. just let it run, and fter a while youll see either memcard screen or the green screen(intro video) which you can skip by pressing A or Start.
Also, use the same 8-3-2 settings

Knuckles
February 23rd, 2005, 18:17
good work, but you didn't have hard work to do :P

SSBM US was the main problem...

_Chrono_
February 23rd, 2005, 18:19
good work, but you didn't had hard work to do :P

SSBM US was the main problem...

indeed. basicly same skip as yours...(just finding it was a bit of a pain) but still :p

aniway i g2g, hope it works ofr others. tty tonight

Fool
March 7th, 2005, 21:20
I can not play it on dolwin. I think I do everything correctly and I see only black screen all time. I have GALE version. HELP !!!

habieru
April 17th, 2005, 17:38
Knuckles Whats your GFx Settings?
I do all you said and when i choose a player, the game stop and video is 0.0

omfgman
April 17th, 2005, 23:19
everytime u enter game u have to change language no matter wat ur current language is

crazyd
April 18th, 2005, 10:26
I got one hell of a problem! every time I try to open this game, I get a Gekko CPU error with many many numbers! what should I do?
tnx!

Knuckles
April 18th, 2005, 16:01
everytime u enter game u have to change language no matter wat ur current language is

it shouldn't, it works fine here without changing language (look at my video)

habieru
April 18th, 2005, 19:44
it shouldn't, it works fine here without changing language (look at my video)
Then,what´s the problem?
the game stops when i choose player or place(video 0.0).
P.D:You play fast (ftp?)

omfgman
April 18th, 2005, 22:54
change the laungauge b4 u start playing no matter wat ur default is

crazyd
April 23rd, 2005, 20:48
I got one hell of a problem! every time I try to open this game, I get a Gekko CPU error with many many numbers! what should I do?
tnx!
won't any one plz help me?? here is how it looks like:

emuexpert
April 24th, 2005, 03:01
yes, i am also receiving Gekko CPU Error
In my opinion maybe it has something to do with the File

Fool
April 24th, 2005, 14:18
I had the same problem. Just download Dolwin again. do not use source !! It makes games don't work ! (for me)

emuexpert
April 25th, 2005, 23:11
Anybody care to share their 4-5-1 etc.. ( CPU Counter, etc..)
Because i am getting Gekko CPU Registers Even with Pong!
I want to play SSBM(US) not (PAL)
(I know you will say I double Posted, but i searched for it but still no fix )
(Sorry for being a n00b)
-Thanks

carl15s
April 25th, 2005, 23:26
i use debugger for the game SSBM how is the command to the start to gale74

emuexpert
April 26th, 2005, 00:48
Anybody care to share their 4-5-1 etc.. ( CPU Counter, etc..)
Because i am getting Gekko CPU Registers Even with Pong!
I want to play SSBM(US) not (PAL)
(I know you will say I double Posted, but i searched for it but still no fix )
(Sorry for being a n00b)
-Thanks

Nah, i fixed this already now my problem is the gray screen, i used Knuckle's patch still that gray screen appears

karoto93
April 29th, 2005, 12:49
hello I Have a probleme with dolwin I can't run a game

http://img201.echo.cx/img201/6281/dolwin19lz.jpg
http://img201.echo.cx/img201/7489/dolwin27pj.jpg

sorry for my english i am french

who can help me
or who can send me his dolwin folder
with the patch for super smash bros melee [eur]

omfgman
May 1st, 2005, 21:16
ok dont run the compiler, use the interpreter. for the gray screen u have to plug into all of the controlers..... want i dunno is that how to make the game run for longer than 1 round...

Fool
May 2nd, 2005, 19:02
Don't write any command. Just press F5 ;)
You SSBM doesn't go to next level ? Hmmm.. I don't have that problem. Maybe you need to wait a while.

spect0r
May 6th, 2005, 20:04
So is there any fix for a Gray screen?
I have PAL Version(GALP36)
I tryed the patch for it,plugen(unpluged)controllers,memcards, etc(even waited for 10 mins) and still get this stupid gray screen(video0.0).
Settings are 8-3-2
in Dolphin it worked(but crashes after some time)

omfgman
May 6th, 2005, 22:45
!!!!!!!!!!!! For Gray Screen Problems Turn All Controllers On!!! For Gekko Problems Do Wat Fool Does Or Use Interpreter Instread Of Compiler!!! God Read The Topics About Ssbm I"ve Posted That So Many Times!!

spect0r
May 7th, 2005, 06:38
I have all controllers turned ON but still recive Gray Screen(with patch and without it)

Knuckles
May 7th, 2005, 15:20
damn, read that :

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=27404

spect0r
May 7th, 2005, 16:46
Finally it works!
Thanks a lot guys!

Trev0r
August 14th, 2005, 04:03
I can't get mine to work. I followed all the instructions but I still get grey screen. Is there
some sort of settings that have to be right? I can't even get pong to work :(

raksmey1309
August 15th, 2005, 01:13
Maybe that's because of ur hardware problem.

Trev0r
August 15th, 2005, 02:03
Maybe that's because of ur hardware problem.
What hardware problem?

General Plot
August 15th, 2005, 09:02
What hardware problem?
I second that question. How would you know if this guy has a hardware problem? He's never posted his specs and doesn't have any in his profile. Now, Trev0r, what kind of system are you using? Please be as specific as possible. CPU name/type/speed, video card name/model/video ram and system ram would all help. Let me know what you're working with, and I'll try to help.:)

Trev0r
August 19th, 2005, 01:08
Athlon Xp 2700+, Aiw9600 128mb, 1024mb ram pc400, winxp.

raksmey1309
August 19th, 2005, 01:16
Dolwin is so early.
For me i can run only a few of my 50 games.

General Plot
August 19th, 2005, 08:39
Athlon Xp 2700+, Aiw9600 128mb, 1024mb ram pc400, winxp.
OK, do you have everything you need? DirectX 9.0c, latest video card drivers, etc....? Also, what settings are you using in dolwin? Can I assume the Aiw9600 128mb you have listed is an ATI video card, because I'm not really too sure what it is. Post some screen shots of your emulator's settings and I'll see what I can do.;)

Trev0r
August 20th, 2005, 00:00
AIW stands for All-in-Wonder and it is an ATI card basicly a radeon with tv capabilities.
My settings are default except for the things Im supposed to change like controllers and stuff. What settings should I change from default?

General Plot
August 20th, 2005, 00:50
AIW stands for All-in-Wonder and it is an ATI card basicly a radeon with tv capabilities.
My settings are default except for the things Im supposed to change like controllers and stuff. What settings should I change from default?
OK, I figured it was an ATI card, just wasn't sure. Anyways, here's a link to check out, seems like Knuckles has covered this already.http://www.emutalk.net/dolwin/27404-ssbm-guide-how-make-work.html

Trev0r
August 21st, 2005, 00:33
I tried it already it didn't work.

If it doesn't work and you have PERFECTLY followed the check list, I dunno.
lol

Gialan
September 12th, 2005, 13:01
Can you finish the adventure mode? I can play to Level 9 and game crashes...

shugonman
September 16th, 2005, 13:50
hi mens... i am chilean and my english is very bad :(... but i have one problem... me emulator running smash brothers melee in 3.03 frames and i have ATI RADEAON 9250 128 MB - 512 ram -amd sempron 1800 -windows xp ...

sorry for me limited english... :/ thx ;)...

shugonman
September 16th, 2005, 13:52
hi mens... i am chilean and my english is very bad :(... but i have one problem... me emulator running smash brothers melee in 3.03 frames and i have ATI RADEAON 9250 128 MB - 512 ram -amd sempron 1800 -windows xp ...

sorry for me limited english... :/ thx ;)...

Gialan
September 17th, 2005, 13:01
Dolwin can't play games with full speed.:plain:

Trev0r
September 19th, 2005, 19:37
The closest I got to playing smash bros. now is a black screen :( . I got pong to work at only 1fps. and Bust-A-Move 3000 at like 360fps.

Gialan
September 20th, 2005, 06:31
The closest I got to playing smash bros. now is a black screen
Try plug all pad.

Trev0r
September 20th, 2005, 16:35
Try plug all pad.
I did

dsagames
December 14th, 2005, 22:12
i have a rate o video 0.0 i try all of tentatives

What is the conmfi to cpu??

counter factor
counter delay and
hadrware bailout?

GameCube blaser
December 17th, 2005, 07:54
how you all have that game?
looking for that game for 2 years i cant find it!

GCFreak
December 17th, 2005, 20:08
Hi, everyone. I got Dolwin to work, it's only the control pad that bugs me. When I set my first control pad like this:
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9734/pad18xd.jpg
The Control Stick (or the Pad Buttons) they act like they're the opposite button (Left as Right, Up as down, you know.) However when I set up my controls like this:
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/4712/pad22ib.jpg
Or like this:
http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/2203/pad37hp.jpg
It works, but I can't run, do smash attacks or even jump.

Can anyone help me?

GCFreak.

_Chrono_
December 17th, 2005, 20:39
use Y and X to jump... its much easier that way

GCFreak
December 17th, 2005, 20:55
What about running and doing Smash attacks?

Tetromega
December 30th, 2005, 19:34
ok, i've followed all advice i've seen thus far on getting the NTSC (US) version of Super Smash Bros Melee to boot, and still have a grey screen.

Copied directly from my Games.ini:

[GALE74]
alttitle=Super Smash Brothers Melee (USA)
comment=supposedly works with patch
cf = 8
delay = 3
bailout = 2
//arenaLo = 0x80403100
//arenaHi = 0x81600000
//loadrun = data\SSBM.s
//lnfo =

I have both the GALE74.map and GALE74.patch in the Dolwin/Data Folder.

All four controllers are enabled, but only controller one has controls set for it. (I'm pretty sure what matters is just that they are plugged in though)

Currently, both memory cards are enabled, as it was said could now be done.

I just updated DirectX

I also turned off the shaders (in the port of the Dolphin GPU) because they don't seem to be compatible with my video card.

and, i also just deleted all registry entries pertaining to it, reinstalled it, put all the patches back in, enabled all controllers, changed games.ini as shown, checked that the memory cards were enabled (and tried it without them) and changed my settings to the following:

Device Type: HAL
No shaders
Both Resolutions 640 x 480
no antialiasing
bi/trilinear texture filtering disabled
MMX/SSE Disabled
Default display list optimization level: 0 Interpret

CPU core: Interpreter
Memory Mode: Simple Translation
CPU timing: 8, 3, 2
Console version: latest production board
High level Geometry library: enabled
Simulate Apploader: Disabled
DSP in fake mode: Enabled
Initial OS arena settings: Default

Any check boxes not mentioned are empty.

I get as far as the black screen with Video: 0.0 at the bottom. The FPS is always either 51 or 26. it also does the glitch where it'll show two Smash Bros and two pongs. Any ideas?

one last thing, to get the patch working, it just has to be in the data folder with the patch option enabled, right?

EDIT: Forgot to menition that i've tried several times to compress the image, and it never finishes. so this is being done with an uncompressed image

GCFreak
December 31st, 2005, 01:02
Can someone answer my question?

jos90
January 3rd, 2006, 17:26
UPDATE!

After some hard debugging on 2 computers, comparing games for missing CARD stuff, I managed to fully modify the .MAP file for SSBM and now, you can load/save on mem cards! :D The only problem found is the ingame timer not working (played time, power time, etc.) everything else works like a charm :)

see attached shots for proof and the map itself is attached too.

How to install:
simply extract the GALE74.MAP from the zip and put it in your dolwin/data/ directory, overwrite if it already exists.

WARNING!: I found a bug while testing (Posty reported a similar problem but I think that's that one I've got) the game won't load if all the 4 gamepads aren't enabled 9it will stay at a grey screen)!! You NEED to enable them all to boot the game, I dunno to what it's related but I'll prolly find a way to fix that one day. I'm not sure, but anyway, who cares, you can play like you want and save :) Even with 4 players! :)

SIDE NOTE: the image I have is shrinked, if by all I said you can't make it work, it's prolly why, just report, I will try to get it back and don't shrink it, then make back the patch and the map.

What did you do to run/play the game at 40/90 FPS??? Please reply me!!

Clements
January 3rd, 2006, 17:31
It normally runs at that speed during a menu.

jos90
January 3rd, 2006, 17:48
Oh... now i understand... if can u make a patch for the speed please contact me...

jos90
January 5th, 2006, 13:25
Hi, everyone. I got Dolwin to work

How did you do it? And how much speed?

(P.S: Excuse me for double posting, plesae don't ban me)

K.ursat
January 8th, 2006, 22:43
It wont help :S i cant play super smash bros melee please help me

venganz
February 28th, 2006, 01:37
well i also got the dang grey screen
ive searched these forums in and out for the solution but i havent found it
i have followed all of knuckles' checklist

Ringking
March 23rd, 2006, 05:32
I was wondering, after I buy SSBM how do I get it to work?
Do I have to have the cd in, and rip the file to my harddrive, then converted it to Iso or something?

Mouser X
March 23rd, 2006, 05:52
Nope. Your PC CD or DVD drive can't read a GC disk. It's encrypted in such a way that your PC will think there's no disc present at all. Do some searching, and you'll find that you can't rip GC discs at all, using a PC. I won't say more than that, because I don't want to be breaking rules. Sorry. Mouser X out.

Ringking
March 23rd, 2006, 06:43
Ok, thanks. But may I ask how you play games, such as SSBM? Do you have to download them? ( legally of course). Like am I able to get a .gmc file. For a game I already have?

Mouser X
March 23rd, 2006, 07:02
Well, someone once asked Nintendo about ripping, and based on the answer they got (according to my understanding) it was perfectly legal to rip a copy of your own game. Do some searching, and you can figure out how to do it. As for legally downloading GCM files, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo would frown on it, even if you do own the actual game disc itself... I must admit though that I have a few GCM images, and no copy of the original game disc. I have them for different reasons than emulation, or even playing them, though (meaning, I don't have a modded GC either). I have the GCMs for the audio data they contain, not for the games themselves. Like Chibi Robo (yah, audio isn't that great either), Fire Emblem (I wish I had the actual disc, I'd like to play it), Sonic Adventures DX, and a few others.

So, for legality issues, I don't know. I do know that I get them anyway... Does that in any way answer your question in the way you wanted to hear? Mouser X over and out.

Ringking
March 29th, 2006, 17:13
I loaded SSBM and got a black screen. I hit the "a' button and the black screen went away, and the SSBM menu appear. saying press start. I hit start and a sighn poped up saying "gfx plugin error". What can I do to fix it. And should the game have sound?

In the GFx error box it says- Damaged fifo buffer, then a whole lot of numbers and stuff.

Knuckles
March 29th, 2006, 19:13
you must use the Dolphin ported video plugin, not the dolwin one. (available on the dolwin website).

Ringking
March 30th, 2006, 00:04
Ok ,thanks. That fixed, yet I have one more problem. When I go memerycard, to click plugged in, once I click it, I get gacko error. I looked through the forum and turned it to interpeter instead of compiler. But same happen. I can be in the menu, but cant save because of this. Can anyone help? I also was wondering, if anyone knows why I can be in the menus, but once I select my character and hit start it freezes?

Also is there sound?

Ringking
March 30th, 2006, 02:56
Sorry to double post. But, I noticed after being in a game, exiting, and reopening it. The graphics go bad, and the colors are messed up. But once I restart Dolwin its fine. Also the first time with normal graphics, I cant enter the character selects screen. But the second time, with bad graphics I can. Any know no why?

April 1st, 2006, 15:32
hi

i have a SSBM USA version but i still dont know if its the right version and it is a .iso file:
Do u know IF and HOW i can play with this version? Dolwin cant open .iso files...

thx 4 help

EDIT: Ah I found out, that i just have to rename it to .gcm but now i get a grey screen... do you know why?

Agozer
April 1st, 2006, 16:01
It would do you a lot of good not to post BitTorrent sites (names or otherwise).

April 1st, 2006, 16:27
^^ k i deleted it.

referring to my problem, I got still a grey screen, although i've activated ALL controllers in the input plugin and deactivated the memcards (deleted the .mci files in the \data folder) and i put this GALE74 stuf in the game.ini
my system: WinXP Prof. \ AMD 64 3700+ \ Geforce 6800 GT 256 MB \ 2048 MB Ram Dual Core \ ASUS A8N-E Motherboard

can anyone help me please?

Ringking
April 1st, 2006, 22:34
Read the forum, it says vary clearly what to do for gray screen and other problems. Try turning all controllers on.

Can anyone help me please with at least one of my many questions I posted earlyer?

April 2nd, 2006, 00:32
Read the forum, it says vary clearly what to do for gray screen and other problems. Try turning all controllers on.

Can anyone help me please with at least one of my many questions I posted earlyer?

As i said, i've already turned ALL controllers on (plugged them)! And i think i did everything which was posted in here so what did i wrong?
And what do i have to do with the gale74.patch and gale74.map files in the \date folder? just do nothing or do i have to activate them in the dolwin emulator? (i tried to load/add patch in developements but nothing changed)

Ringking
April 3rd, 2006, 05:25
=Sorry, Im not a good one to ask. Im new to it to.

May 2nd, 2006, 17:10
:drool: wo cean Douwload Super Smash Bros. Melee ? i will thith HAVE!:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: pleace Say me the link :unsure:

Mouser X
May 2nd, 2006, 18:45
These (http://www.emutalk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=103) are the rules of this board. READ THEM FIRST. If you're asking "Where can I download Super Smash Bros. Melee?" then you'll most likely get banned. As would anyone that answers you. CHANGE YOUR POST, otherwise, you'll most likely get banned. Hopefully you do so before a mod comes around. Mouser X out.

Agozer
May 2nd, 2006, 19:03
Well, he didn't.

vinciejjj
August 18th, 2007, 10:20
where is the ported dolphin video plugin? i had that link but it gives 404 error
is there another way to get it except clicking on knuckles link

vinciejjj
August 18th, 2007, 10:41
im sorry i already found it but it still gives grey screen and video 0.0 i have done everything exactly i think:S