What's new

Sound Issues

mammlouk

First off - I've tried searching to find answers and haven't really come up with any solutions, so please don't just tell me to search.

Graphics work flawlessly (more or less) for me with a number of plugins, but no matter what I do, I cannot get good solid sound.

I've used every sound plugin in the downloads section accompanied with various sound settings, and have also tried them in 1964 to no avail.

Sound is always stuttering.

My system is an AMD Sempron 2600+ OC'd to 2Ghz. I have 512MB of PC3200 RAM and a 60G Western Digital HD with 8MB cache. My video card is a Radeon 9600XT AIW. I have attempted the use of 2 separate sound cards. The first is a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (Crystal Sounds chipset) and the second is an onboard nForce2 sound solution. No matter what my results remain the same. Does anyone have any kind of suggestion to fix this problem?

Oh, and I also have run it with my processor at stock settings to make sure it's not an OC issue.

:bye3:

Thanks,
Jeremy

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Use Jabo's Direct Sound plugin and enable the "sync game to audio" setting when running a game. This should work.

OP
M

mammlouk

PsyMan said:
Use Jabo's Direct Sound plugin and enable the "sync game to audio" setting when running a game. This should work.

I have tried using this method and the fact of the matter is that the sound gets more stuttered when I enable "sync game to audio".

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
It might be bad drivers too. Also total recorders drivers tend to work bad with emulators. Have you tried to switch?

OP
M

mammlouk

Like I said I've tried 2 different sound cards. I've also switched from total recorder as the standard sound device to using the specific sound card in my sound settings. I also saw info saying that disabling hardawre acceleration for sound under DirectX can help, but it didn't make the slightest bit of difference. I tried 2 different version of the nforce2 driver and the most recent downloadable driver for the Turtle beach. I have also tried using Azimer's sound with the patched exe, with no success.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Eevn if you tried two different sound cards, nevertheless, the total recorder driver can still be default. And it does not work well with emulators.

OP
M

mammlouk

I understand that different sound card doesn't necessarily change the driver being used, but that's why I also said in my reply that I changed the control panel to utilize the specific sound devices drivers. I really do appreciate the input though, and did not mean to come off sounding snyde. I apologize if you took it as a rude remark.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
No need to apologize, we can't know the configuration of each computer (I also mean the installed software, not only the hardware) neither the knowledge/experience of each user that's why we make some questions and suggest some things that you may already know/tried.
Depending on your hardware and drivers you'll get different results with different plugins (make sure that you have the latest drivers for nForce 2 and your sound card). Jabo's audio plugin has synchronization problems when used with 1964 but it shouldn't have problems with onboard sound on PJ64 when "sync game to audio" is enabled so give it a try.
If you still have problems you can also try Azimer's Audio Plugin v0.50 and v0.40. You can get them from here: http://www.emutalk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=70

OP
M

mammlouk

I have tried Jabo's, Azimer's .40, Azimers .55.1 Alpha withand w/o patched pj64 exe, Azimers LLE, Zilmar's.... Basically every Audio Plugin in the download section. It seems like everything should be able to run on my system. I can't figure out what the conflict is since I have tried multiple sound cards and driver sets.