What's new

Win XP Pro slowdowns?

n64kirby

Hi, i just upgraded to win xp and i noticed a significant speed drop in most of my games.....20 frames maybe. Smash Brothers ran near perfect speed with win 98 SE(4 players too), but now i have upgraded and the game is lagging a bit even at 2 players combat. Zelda OoT also seemed to drop about 10 frames. Anybody know whats wrong? How can I fix this prob.?

Thanks

my specs.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz
Win XP Pro
Nvidia Geforce 2 MX400
256MB RAM

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Well, Reccomended RAM is 256MB, and windows XP alone uses 128. So that may be the cause for your slowdows I think... No if smaller games like Mario is slower as well your problem may be something else. It could also be your drivers. If your on a fresh install then make sure you update from the XP default.

I have the w2k-xp 23.12 drivers, not yet on their site but they are signed and for once WinXP dosen't ask me "Are you sure?" :)

If you have a way for me to get them to you I will.

OP
n64kirby

n64kirby

thanks for the lighting reply. i did go through ALL updates. my drivers are 21.81 for 2000/xp. i didnt get 23.11 since i heard theres problems with it on the anistropic filtering. i would very much appreciate the drivers. is it .1 newer than the one they have on their site? if its faster or the anistopic filtering bug is fixed, i would like to have it. u can e-mail it to me at [email protected].

thanks

P.S. i think 256MB ram is enough, since i didnt get a slowdown on win 2000 when i tried it in the past.

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Email won't work, it's 3.98 mb. Does anyone have a site or something I could u/l it to? That way it can be made avaliable for all that want it

PcVII

you want to disable as meny pretty windows xp stuff as u can all the interface stuff...

it helps to minimize all windows your not using if you don't want to close the program

pj64 memory it takes up goes way down when i minimize it :p

other things help too...

i got zelda running at full speed right now on my radeon :) and i'm not holding back on the graphics settings :)

PcVII

also in task manager it helps to put the emulator on high priorty

u can also use real time which should keep u above 60 fps on all games... but can cause computer to crash

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
PcVII said:
also in task manager it helps to put the emulator on high priorty

Just want to add that if you do this and then reset or shut down that you have to re set the priorty to high again as it will go back to default settings.

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
I'm using 27.20 starting today, so not sure about stability, but 23.12 was real good to me while I was using those