What's new

gravedigging

Jakob

evil *******
I think we need a hack to make vb think that any topic which hasn't had a reply in 30 days is closed, it's rediculous that people dig up 2 year old threads just to say "ooh, that's so cool" or some of bullshit, anything that is actually important to add can rightly be done in a new thread with a link to the old one, and if we see someone doing that just so say they liked the thread, well, I don't think a single mod would miss that opportunity for a ban;P

Eagle

aka Alshain
pAsSiVe said:
I think we need a hack to make vb think that any topic which hasn't had a reply in 30 days is closed, it's rediculous that people dig up 2 year old threads just to say "ooh, that's so cool" or some of bullshit, anything that is actually important to add can rightly be done in a new thread with a link to the old one, and if we see someone doing that just so say they liked the thread, well, I don't think a single mod would miss that opportunity for a ban;P

I wouldnt say 30 days. I'd lengthen it to 90. It wouldn't be that hard of a hack though, you could edit the reply script to check the date of the last reply and if it is too old, tell them this thread has expired yadda yadda yadda.

Martin

Administrator
I could make a cron job to close all threads older than 90 days. The cron job would run daily at a certain time. Good idea?

OR

I could make a hack prompting the user that the thread is old, and suggest them to start a new thread instead. Oh and even better, if the user replying is a moderator it would let them post.

Shpongled

News Junkie
Could anyone please explain to me what the problem is with gravedigging? Isn't it better to consolidate all relevant replies into one thread instead of making multiple threads on the same topic?

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
no, because if someone was talking about whatever and sum NOOB idiot revived the thread about a a year later, the other user might have been banned, not replied to ET in a long while, or has no interest in that subject, so it would be pointless, so good idea.

Trotterwatch

I think it's a valid point Shpongled, I guess one thing you could do is to create a new thread, and then include a link to a prior thread on the subject within the text.

Allnatural

Shpongled said:
Could anyone please explain to me what the problem is with gravedigging? Isn't it better to consolidate all relevant replies into one thread instead of making multiple threads on the same topic?
You're right, it's not an issue when the topic is still relevant. For instance, new information being contributed to a programming topic.

More often though, it's some fool digging up a two year old joke thread to say "rofl, that was funny"

Shpongled

News Junkie
Allnatural said:
You're right, it's not an issue when the topic is still relevant. For instance, new information being contributed to a programming topic.

More often though, it's some fool digging up a two year old joke thread to say "rofl, that was funny"

Maybe Martin's 90-Day Auto Thread-Closer can be refined to the "Talk of the Town" sub-forum then?

Either way, I understand now. I'll try not to go gravedigging anymore, I have a tendency to do that when I'm bored.

~Dr. Frankenstein

OP
J

Jakob

evil *******
Trotterwatch said:
I think it's a valid point Shpongled, I guess one thing you could do is to create a new thread, and then include a link to a prior thread on the subject within the text.
I think you didn't read my post:p

My95ZR2

The way I've seen it done on other sites, is after 60 days, the thread is locked. If you wish to contribute to a thread that is locked due to old age, you PM a mod and have them unlock if if they feel that it is worth resuming the topic. The other option, as mentioned above, is to start a new thread and link to the old one. This gravedigging is really getting on my nerves...

-Adam