What's new

On CPU Temperature for MSI MoBo users

Bundled with my MoBo, there is this application, Core Center. It displays the temperature of my CPU as 66 C, is this very high??? what are the average temperatures of you guys (MSI Mobo users, better if also on a KT6V)??
I tried fuzzy logic/pc doctor (or whatever theyre called), but the "cool cpu" feature is not supported by my MoBo.

Im just a little worried since 1 year ago my MoBo got toasted (or whatever you say in english) and I dont want it to happen again, so, Im thinking that probably I need some extra ventilation for my Case (and I have 2 case fans - not counting the power supply one obviously), because 66 seems like a lot to me, or isnt it?

Thanks

Last edited:

Stezo2k

S-2K
66C is very hot for a CPU if you ask me, even for an Athlon XP/Sempron. I'd personally check that the reading is correct by touching the heatsink. My CPU was reporting around 50C so i touched the heatsink to make sure, and it was just warm, so I updated the BIOS, and temps are now around 30C. I suggest you try the same thing

If the CPU is definatley 66C i'd seriously think about getting a new heatsink or getting a new case for better airflow (what my brother did)

OP
D

davidhayter

Visitor
but isnt a bios update something that can lead to screw your Mobo???
For instance, MSI has an utility, "Live Update" that supossedly does that, but Im just a little afraid to update my bios...

Stezo2k

S-2K
davidhayter said:
but isnt a bios update something that can lead to screw your Mobo???
For instance, MSI has an utility, "Live Update" that supossedly does that, but Im just a little afraid to update my bios...

Only if the PC crashes/switches off while its updating the BIOS, just make sure no other apps are open when you go to update the BIOS

Eagle

aka Alshain
davidhayter said:
Im just a little worried since 1 year ago my MoBo got toasted (or whatever you say in english)

FYI toasted is fine, but fried is what most people say.

Anyway, try to find a DOS based application to flash your bios, windows crashes, typically the command line doesn't. Then make sure you flash it on a bright sunny day and make sure you don't have the microwave, stove, washing machine and fridge all running at the same time and on the same circuit :p (Seriously, I have had this happen when running christmas lights, but not while flashing a board) Just make sure there is little chance of the power going off and NEVER interrupt a flash.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
66C isn't that bad for amd cpus... mine is constantly running at a high temp, yet I have no problems. I'd say 66C is typically what I have for the cpu, more or less, so there's no REAL reason to worry. Besides, if the cpu DOES get too hot, the mobo will probably stall the system.

OP
D

davidhayter

Visitor
well actually, as soon as I read Stezo2k reply, I did update my Bios through Live Update, and everything was fine, GUI based (I'd hate to make boot disk and flashing the damn thing through DOS, it seems like towards to fuck things up, :party: ), but everything was fine.
However, the CPU still shows 66C, but, I asked a very good friend o mine who supossedly knows a lot bout hardware, and he says his athlon XP 1700+ goes up to 62 C, so I guess its not bad at all, besides, I also tried the PC of a mate (P4 1.6 or somthin), and the temperature was also 59C, so basically I was panic(ing) for nothin
Thanks anyway folks for your time, thanks

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
AMDs run hot... i've seen 69 C before. usually though it shouldn't go that high unless you're constantly running the CPU at 100%.

Doomulation said:
Besides, if the cpu DOES get too hot, the mobo will probably stall the system.
Yep. Thermal shutdown temperature is usually 90 C, which is the point where most new motherboards will shut it down. That never really happens unless you forgot to put a fan on :blink:. Anyway if it does go over 90, then your CPU is at risk, but your mobo should be fine. i woudlnt' worry about it at 66.

if you'd like to have a cooler system though, buy a new heatsink+fan for your CPU, with arctic silver (Zalman is a good choice). case fans are good, but they won't do much if your CPU HS/fan is already weak. =)

lol Eagle... is there even a windows program to flash it? i've never seen one before. ALWAYS do it from DOS, with a floppy. you will be safe (mostly).

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
davidhayter said:
well actually, as soon as I read Stezo2k reply, I did update my Bios through Live Update, and everything was fine, GUI based (I'd hate to make boot disk and flashing the damn thing through DOS, it seems like towards to fuck things up, :party: ), but everything was fine.
hm, guess i found my answer. windows = riské. good job tho.

OP
D

davidhayter

Visitor
Say zAlbee, is that artic silver the gray glue-like shit you can put into the processor??? Coz if its so :
1. I already put some cooling geel (not artic silver or anything, I live in a poor country in america, probably its likely to never get here unless importing)
2. I saw some guide on putting that damn thing on.... god, it was soooo complicated because the guy wrote every 3 lines "If you fuck up your CPU it aint my fault", "This process may severely screw your CPU" and stuff like that, then, for the amateur PC hardware guy like me...

Clements

I had the same problem with my AXP 3200+, although my temp was around 60 C (Up to 70 C in the hottest part of Summer).

My case was poorly ventilated and had just a single 80mm fan for ventilation, so I recently bought a Thermaltake Tsunami case with dual 120mm fans and a 90mm side fan, and the CPU temp immediately dropped to around 50 C. If you're case is already well ventilated, then perhaps a new HSF will do the trick if you are using a stock one. Otherwise, I would not worry about it too much, unless you are overclocking.

OP
D

davidhayter

Visitor
Well, I guess ill stick to the stock one, Im afraid of removing the heatsink and maybe with my luck breaking the CPU core or something like that, just for some more degrees, knowing that its a normal temperature for my processor.
One last thing, leaving the case open is better (would it help dropping the temperature) or really worthless??? and maybe putting some big fan in front of it???

Stezo2k

S-2K
To be honest, i thought 66C was quite hot for an Athlon xp, when i had my xp2400, idle temps were around 45C for me

I still do think 66C is a bit too hot for a CPU myself

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Athlon XPs have 85C as maximum temperature limit (Athlon 64s have 70 if I remember right).
When I got my Athlon XP 3200 the temp was between 64C and 69C (now its 54 to 57 and up to 62 in the summer)! I was shocked after the low temperature of my previous CPU (Thunderbird 850) but after some research I found out that it's quite normal.
The temperature limit varies depending on the type of the CPU (some CPUs have certain temperatures as a limit while others whould be burned long before reaching that limit).

Stezo2k

S-2K
PsyMan said:
Athlon XPs have 85C as maximum temperature limit (Athlon 64s have 70 if I remember right).
When I got my Athlon XP 3200 the temp was between 64C and 69C (now its 54 to 57 and up to 62 in the summer)! I was shocked after the low temperature of my previous CPU (Thunderbird 850) but after some research I found out that it's quite normal.
The temperature limit varies depending on the type of the CPU (some CPUs have certain temperatures as a limit while others whould be burned long before reaching that limit).

Forgot about the region actually.... I can imagine CPU temps can be quite a lot hotter in hotter countries

but your most probably correct, i'm a bit biased myself because my cpu idles around 28C, even overclocked to 3700 speeds

Eagle

aka Alshain
zAlbee said:
lol Eagle... is there even a windows program to flash it? i've never seen one before. ALWAYS do it from DOS, with a floppy. you will be safe (mostly).

There is one for my ASUS board but I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.