What's new

Glide nessesary??

Robbie7

Hi, I've got a couple of (newbie) questions I couldn't solve with searching the forum :canadian:

I'm using PJ64 (and sometimes 1964) with my GeForce 5900. I wondered if installing Glide plugin would help on certain games :huh:
I'm using Rice's and Jabo's graphic-plugins now and most games run perfectly but some games have glitches. Could these maybe be avoided if I used Glide (Is it worth the hassle as I'm certainly no expert and having readed the sticky it seemed a bit complicated?

I've also wondered if I can have installed Rice 5.9.9 and 6.0.0c in the same plugin dir... Should the new Rice file just overwrite the one from 5.9.9 or should I remove the version I didn't wanna use for the other one to work perfectly?

I'm hoping someone will take the time to answer my questions :bouncy:

Best regards - Robbie

PS. I've noticed that Clements has a znes image in his signature, but I haven't been able to find a forum here that talks about Snes emulation... Am I blind or ins't there a forum about this subject :huh:

OP
R

Robbie7

Sorry, if specs are needed:

P4 2800
512 MB RAM
DX 9c
Onboard sound (have ordered audiogy 2...)
160 GB HD
Geforce FX 5900XT

Trotterwatch

First of all, if you want to talk about Snes, just use the General Emulation forum :)

As for the other questions:

Yes, Glide64 is an excellent plugin that when combined with a wrapper (Hacktaurux's one, which IMO is the best one, is included in the package). For us to further help, it is a good idea to list a couple of games you are having trouble with. Some such as Rogue Sqadron, Indiana Jones, SW Battle for Naboo, etc will not work properly with any plugin yet, for example.

You may keep all the Rice plugins in the same folder, as long as the filename is not the same, they will not overwrite each other.

Another tip, is to perhaps check out Orkins plugins (Direct64 and GLN64) both come very highly recommended.

To use Glide64 is pretty simple btw;

a) Put Glide64 in the plugins folder along with any .ini
b) Put the wrapper file (from the wrapper folder) in the main emulator directory ie. C:/Programs/PJ64/ - you can also put it in a system folder, but I advise against that (personal preference though)

And that is that :)

Last edited:

rcgamer

the old guy
well, glide is a very good plugin so i would advise to try it along with others you mentioned. its not complicated really . just download the newest version from the glide homepage and extract it to your plugin folder , then go to the plugin folder and open the hacteureux:)p) glide wrapper folder and move the 3x.dll to your main pj64 or/and 1964 folder. then play.
yes you can have two versions of rices plugin installed as long as each version has its own ini. (version 6.0 plugin with version 6.0 ini).

edit- he beat me to it.

Last edited:
OP
R

Robbie7

The game I'm having problems with atm. is ISS '98 and ISS 2000.

I can't get them to run with Rice 5.9.9 or Rice 6.0.0 and while I can get them to run with Jabo's plugin in PJ64 (can't even do that in 1964 but I know that's not the place to mention that here ;)) they run rather poor.

I'll try with Glide64 and see what happens :)

OP
R

Robbie7

Yeah sorry... I posted it there first but then saw that you said it was a good idea to list specific games so I thought..... :)

I've got a question but I'll ask it there.

By the way when I install Rice's plugin 6.0.0 it ask me whater I'd like to overwrite RiceVideo.dll as there's a file in the plugin dir already with that name from 5.9.9 :huh:

They aren't the same size so I guess it's a different .dll with 6.0.0 - So my question here is (as above) can I safely overwrite this RiceVideo.dll file and both 5.9.9 and 6.0.0 will work?

Thanks in advance

OP
R

Robbie7

I was affraid that the plugin the couldn't find the file if I renamed it, but thanks for clearing this... I'm really learning today :)

Sorry if I'm a hassle but I actually have a question more (it's seems that the more you learn, the more you realize you don't know).
Should I choose all the extra options (anti alising, anisotrophic filtering etc.) with my graphic card (128MB Geforce FX 5900XT)? I know I could just try it all but there's so many options that I'm getting confused... My machine should be able to use it all... right??
And I tried searching what the N64 Frame Buffer Effect Emulation Buffer does and what texture enhancements that was good to choose (hq2x??) but I didn't understand it... Any help??

Rob

rcgamer

the old guy
frame buffer effect depends on the game. really its just find what works best for you. yes you should be able to use the antialiasing etc. same with texture enhancements . most of the text enhancements look like crap for me but you have a better card so let her rip.
the best way to do it is to change one setting at a time that way if something bad happens you can just turn it back the way it was. if you start messing with to many settings at once and something breaks it could be difficult to get the settings back the way they were.

Trotterwatch

One thing with Rices plugin, enable the tooltips (on the first screen, there is a tick box for it, near the one that enables advanced options). Once that is on, hover over what you would like to know more about :)

As for filters/AA/AF etc, all about personal preference. Find a balance between performance and visual quality that suits you.

OP
R

Robbie7

Okay, I'll try to mess around with the settings (one at a time ;))

Thanks for your help... Nice to find helpful people around even though most of my questions might be a bit dumb to you guys :)

Take care