What's new

Best video card under $200?

I'm looking to upgrade my video card (AGP) from my current GeForce 4 Ti 4200, while spending under $200. I want a card that will be capable of running the latest games (Doom III, HL 2, FarCry...etc) at 60+ fps with medium-high settings. So far I'm looking at a Radeon 9800 Pro for $175. What do you guys think is the best card available atm under $200?

rcgamer

the old guy
wow, for about right at 200 you can get a 6600gt. but if you dont want to spend that then the 9800 pro is good or a geforce fx 5900.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
Niggy G said:
Any more replys/advise?

Im Looking for a AGP card with the max spent £150 pound sterling.

These are two links to the 6600GT AGP, what is the difference in these cards and would one of these be a good buy?

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...m9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=80781&_LOC=UK

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=305838&cks=ASS&assoc=4C2FF9D1-DC26-4C9F-AC69-C615391841FE
The first link (ebuyer) is a PCI-E card, the one at Komplett is AGP, so go for the second one

Niggy G

HTAFC will rise again!!!
sheik124 said:
The first link (ebuyer) is a PCI-E card, the one at Komplett is AGP, so go for the second one

So it is, I missed that.

What are the differences in the different brands floating around and are there any particular brands that are recomended?

Another question...

If I was buying a new motherboard now, should i look at getting a PCI Express compatable motherboard? How much better than AGP is PCI Express?

Last edited:

Clements

If I had some cash and wanted a new mobo, I'd definitely get one that has PCI-Express, not because it is faster, but because it is more future-proof and allows you a greater choice of cards, SLi if you want etc. AGP will probably linger for a year or so though until PCI-Express floods the OEM market like it already is.

Niggy G

HTAFC will rise again!!!
Reading into it a bit more, there are few AMD 64 motherboards that support PCI Express at the moment (although there is lots of talk of that changing) I think I'll wait a month or so and see whats about then. (but ill have probably blown my crimbo money by then).

Cheers for your feedback people!

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Personally i'd rather go the extra 100 or whatever it is and get a Radeon X800 Pro... oh wait.. I did... yay!

I reckon if you buy cheaper cards they won't last you as long you'll end up buying a new one too quickly and spending more money.

OP
CrzCorvette
I've decided to go with a GeForce 6600 GT, and so far im looking at

1. eVGA $213
2. MSI $219
3. Leadtek $219
4. XFX $225

Is there much of a difference between brands, and which of the above would you recemend?

Last edited:

rcgamer

the old guy
not the xfx, many of the ones they rolled out seem to have problems. i would go with leadtek or msi

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
rcgamer said:
not the xfx, many of the ones they rolled out seem to have problems. i would go with leadtek or msi
Really? Care to point me to an article/forum thread that describes those problems? I've been thinking about getting a XFX 6600GT, but now that you're saying that they are problematic I might reconsider.

rcgamer

the old guy
go to guru3d in there forums i have been reading a lot of threads about this . it was mainly the first ones that came out though from what i gather but , to me, better safe than sorry.

in fact right after i replied i went to guru and the first post was about this.

edit-here http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121073
a thread with several examples.

Last edited: