What's new

PC hangs

Degeon

Warrior of Dark
Hi. My computer gives me the chills :ermm:
It HANGS, and at random too:(
I may leave it idle for a few nights and it will be okey but then I go and play/hear music/write in word est... and it will be 10 mituts and it freezes... the only way to reboot it is to pull out the plug and re attach it because restarting and/or turning it off doesn't work... Scary... is that an hardware problem?

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I first would check the processor temperature. The processor likely is overheating. You will want to make sure that the processor temperature is no higher than around 135 F degrees during full load. and around 115 F degrees when idle.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
Could be some part of your computer overheating. CPU, PSU, whatever. Or it could be signs that your computer is finally giving out (some die quicker than others). You could perhaps try to update windows if you haven't done so... scan for virusus/spyware or try reformating windows if you haven't done so in years. Just some things to confirm that it's something in your computer that's causing problems.
- Modem

WhiteX

check out on your BIOS during a few minutes the power supply voltages, sometimes they oscillate a little too much and during a big load the PC hangs and it is not possible to reset or to turn it off via the power button, more than 1v on 5volts and more than 2 on 12 is too much oscillation, and you should be mindful of the processor voltage as well since it is the most dangerous of them all and the lowest, any oscillation is bad and i would call for a font replacement, most likely for a killer 500w font :term:
Oh! And for the funny noises on your fan, cleaning it is always a good idea! :bouncy:

Last edited:
OP
D

Degeon

Warrior of Dark
Thanks guys:p, But RJARRRPCG, I use C meserment:p I have no idea how to translate F to C:(

OP
D

Degeon

Warrior of Dark
OMG! What gravestone do you recommand to my comp:(
The Bios Info I collacted is this:
Temp CPU:163F\73C
Sys Temp: 73F
Vcore: 1.77V
2.5V: 2.54V
3.3V: 3.27V
5V: 5.00V
12V 12.24V

Clements

That's a very hot CPU. 13 degrees hotter than my poorly cooled 3200+ hot, and very close to your CPUs maximum safe working temperature. Perhaps you could try to improve the cooling by buying a better heatsink if you are using just a stock one that came with the CPU, or use thermal compound such as Arctic Silver.

Last edited:
OP
D

Degeon

Warrior of Dark
Im afraid that I can't afford to buy such thing as it looks like thier names only are expensive:(:p
Gudgeing by the err...Proccssing power the My old 5years old PC has, it's better let him have the Big ZzZzZzZz and buy a New Powerfull computer. I'll just Back up all my Data because P3 HDD isn' compatible with P4...
Anyway, thanks for trying to help. But it will be cheaper to buy a new computer, then to repair and repair and repair:p

Clements

Pentium III heatsinks are around 10 dollars, so it would not be cheaper to buy a new PC.

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
Wow........

but see your sig Degeon: "Fan doing funny noises..."

not good....
You have a Coppermine, huh? This PIII eats Fan..... but the Intel fan (that comes with boxed processor) is very good....

In the past i had problems with my coppermine.... with wrong fan (very cheap ones :p)..... 70~80 °C.....
The result..... burned processor.... change now your fan, or loss your Processor....

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
Degeon said:
Im afraid that I can't afford to buy such thing as it looks like thier names only are expensive:(:p
Gudgeing by the err...Proccssing power the My old 5years old PC has, it's better let him have the Big ZzZzZzZz and buy a New Powerfull computer. I'll just Back up all my Data because P3 HDD isn' compatible with P4...
Anyway, thanks for trying to help. But it will be cheaper to buy a new computer, then to repair and repair and repair:p

LOL... Totally newbie...... :p

No, i don't intend to flame you... but if you feel fear, call a experienced person to help you....

You can buy a new PC to gaming and use this one to do the homework... :)

Jakob

evil *******
zalman makes a really nice heatsink/fan combo that is quiet and does an excellent job at heat dissipation for around $45 Canadian, probably about $30 US

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Well it does sound like you're having fan problems, maybe too much dust clogging them up. A 950 PIII should not be running at 73 C ever, even with the original heatsink/fan. If that is your idle temperature, then the temp under load is probably way too high and overheating that much can cause your CPU to error or hang.

At the back of your computer is the PSU fan. Check to make sure its blowing air out. Open the computer case and you'll see the CPU fan. I suggest you take a Q-tip and clean out all the dust that's accumulated on those (with the computer off of course).

OP
D

Degeon

Warrior of Dark
Ok I've checked it and there is air coming out of it...
But I didn't get how to clean it:( @_@ :alien2: :huh: :whistling
Trotterwatch said:
I was toled(By some stores) that PIII HDD Is not competible with P4
Some other stores says otherwise:( So just in case I backing up all my importent stuff
By the way,pAsSiVe: I can't afford something 35$ worth, yet :(
Im not a student:p

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
Degeon said:
Ok I've checked it and there is air coming out of it...
But I didn't get how to clean it:( @_@ :alien2: :huh: :whistling

I was toled(By some stores) that PIII HDD Is not competible with P4
Some other stores says otherwise:( So just in case I backing up all my importent stuff
By the way,pAsSiVe: I can't afford something 35$ worth, yet :(
Im not a student:p
The people that told you that are stupid.

And they're trying to make a sale.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
That's f00king hilarious. :D

Spend $10 on an average P3 heatsink with some thermal grease and you're golden. 73C in the bios is absolutely horrendous, as if there's not even any TIM on the CPU/HS(F). :yucky:

WhiteX

For an Xtremely cheap workaround (not a fix in any way :yucky: ) you can remove the side cover and see the temp, if it is below 60c you can use it until you find the money to buy a new cooler, however DO NOT use it as a fix because it attracts more dirt inside and insects too, you should really try to clean you existent cooler before attempting to do that,hope i´d been of any help.