What's new

Sooooo sloooooww ....

Akira Yuki

Hey, I just downloaded Chankast and the games works not bad but I have a little problem. Well, the animation is smoothly but very slowly so the games are not playable anyway :( What to do?

I tested to games only:

- Virtua Fighter 3 (19- 25 fps)
- Soul Calibur (20 - 45fps during game, intro - 45 - 60fps)

I have pretty old computer:
Athlon 2200 XP, GeForce 4 64 MB and ... 256 MB DDR ( :yucky: )

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
You may be able to run some not demanding games quite fast (mr. driller, namco museum, etc.) but you can't do much with a slow CPU as yours. Underclocking the emulator (reffer to the manual for this) may help you gain more speed but don't expect much. Some games have slowdowns even on an Athlon XP 3200 or even an Athlon 64 (Intel CPUs are generally slower for use with Chankast).

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
So the fact that he also has a 64mb videocard has nothing to do with it? I've never personally used this emulator, but I'm guessing that it'd require a bit more than that to run well.
- Modem

KingSky

Yeah I got 1gig or ram and Nvidia FX videocard and Virtual Fighter 3 still runs like shit, so don't worry about it. I'm surprised the game even runs with your 256 megs of ram.
PC specs really don't do much for this emulator, I can bearly get Virtual Fighter 3 to hit 40fps on my friends ATI 9800 XT, P4 3gig HT.

demasu

Youre pc specs are good enough but the emulater has a little speed problem.
even people with a p4 3.2 and an ati x800 or something only have litle gain from it.
its an emulator problem iam sure they can fix that :)

OP
Akira Yuki

Akira Yuki

Hmmm ... you have right guys, but I was thinking about some plugin for Chankast or something :) What I mean?
I know it's possible to do "something" and "somehow" to "scale" the animation in the games. Well, animation will be skiping but in the "natural" speed. I'm a developer and my programmer doing something like that in our product for "Morphum 3D" (we working on 3D fighting game). The cell phones has a little power so we made a lot of technical tricks to get a good quallity anyway. One of those is about animation. Well, our engine can run demo of our game in 25-30 fps. But the animation was slow because I was animate characters using only 3-5 fps!!! This is the similar problem.
My programmer change something in the engine (I dont know what - I'm not a programmer) and now everything running smoothly and on the full speed !!! The same problem he had in his previous game on "Morphum 3D" - "Anarchy Boxing 3D". People playing and watching smoothly and fast animation, they even know that is only 12-16 fps with 2-5 frames for each animation of the hit :bouncy:
So I was thinking that is some kind of plugin for Chankast which correct animation. I'm pretty surprise that isn't .... :huh:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
I'm afraid that this is not possible. Since all of the modern video cards are able to "draw" the graphics without any slowdown the problem doesn't have to do with the "animation". The main cause of the slowdowns is the emulation of Dreamcast's main CPU and its heavy usage from demanding games (especialy from games like Dead or Alive). So even if you somehow "skip" the "animation" the game will still be slow but the worst thing is that it will be much chopier than before. In that case the feauture that you're looking for whould be useless.

S

SegaGamer

Akira Yuki said:
Hmmm ... you have right guys, but I was thinking about some plugin for Chankast or something :) What I mean?
I know it's possible to do "something" and "somehow" to "scale" the animation in the games. Well, animation will be skiping but in the "natural" speed. I'm a developer and my programmer doing something like that in our product for "Morphum 3D" (we working on 3D fighting game). The cell phones has a little power so we made a lot of technical tricks to get a good quallity anyway. One of those is about animation. Well, our engine can run demo of our game in 25-30 fps. But the animation was slow because I was animate characters using only 3-5 fps!!! This is the similar problem.
My programmer change something in the engine (I dont know what - I'm not a programmer) and now everything running smoothly and on the full speed !!! The same problem he had in his previous game on "Morphum 3D" - "Anarchy Boxing 3D". People playing and watching smoothly and fast animation, they even know that is only 12-16 fps with 2-5 frames for each animation of the hit :bouncy:
So I was thinking that is some kind of plugin for Chankast which correct animation. I'm pretty surprise that isn't .... :huh:

What phone are you developing for?

OP
Akira Yuki

Akira Yuki

Well, "Mophun 3D" is a technology for many phones. Check it:

http://www.mophun.com/main_games.php?mode=all

Previous game of my programmer was a big hit in a China, it was available for Nokia 7650. You can play with demo of "Anarchy Boxing 3D" here:

http://www.mophun.com/main_games.php mode=previewgame&game_id=2000155

Well, I dont know correctly what phone will run the game I already working on, but we used the alter engine from "AB3D" so I think it's will be Nokia 7650 and similar.
I'm a Character Designer, Background artist and Animater. I'm a "subdesigner" a fighting system (similar like in "VF2") too. That's what I'm doing, but I really dont know much about Mophun 3D or phones, which avail oneself of this technology :huh: