What's new

routing bittorrent through firewall?

dreamer

i heard it can be done but dont know how, also i'm not on a normal router but a uni network :(. quite simply its not connected to many users and the light remains yellow instead of green. very slow downloads.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
If you don't have access to the firewall configuration, then you normally can't change the port forwarding. However, on a uPnP-enabled router, programs that are uPnP-"aware" can automatically tell the router which ports to open. For example the latest BitTornado client does this. This can be quite a security hole though, so I turn uPnP off; university networks likely don't support it, and if they did, would probably turn it off as well.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Universities not only disable uPnP but they don't like you spending their bandwidth on large downloads with torrents or P2P so they go out of their way to block them. You probably won't be able to use P2P or Bittorrents on your PC at a uni.

OP
D

dreamer

Eagle said:
Universities not only disable uPnP but they don't like you spending their bandwidth on large downloads with torrents or P2P so they go out of their way to block them. You probably won't be able to use P2P or Bittorrents on your PC at a uni.

yeah...i can get most p2p things working, and bittorrent works - *has got speeds of up to 122 kbps on it* it just connects to hardly any users, lucky me if i get to connect to a fast user. but this happens rarely.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
How about me? I'm using a ISDN dial up connection, Websense is installed in the server, and I always get a "red light" when I try to use Bittorent. So is impossible to use bittorent in my case?

Eagle

aka Alshain
t0rek said:
How about me? I'm using a ISDN dial up connection, Websense is installed in the server, and I always get a "red light" when I try to use Bittorent. So is impossible to use bittorent in my case?

Uh what is your case? Why do you use websense on your home computer? That will definately block P2P & Bit Torrents. Websense is for businesses usually. It blocks a lot of things, even less "questionable" things like instant messaging.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Well, Websense is not in my computer, I'm on ISDN dial-up, but Websense is installed in my ISP servers. You're right Eagle, Websense block me a lot of internet sites, messegers (except MSN, why? I don't know, just use your imagination).So no hope for bittorent for me?

OP
D

dreamer

t0rek said:
Well, Websense is not in my computer, I'm on ISDN dial-up, but Websense is installed in my ISP servers. You're right Eagle, Websense block me a lot of internet sites, messegers (except MSN, why? I don't know, just use your imagination).So no hope for bittorent for me?

very unlucky, only DC++ is completely blocked on here...bittorrent just connects to about 5 X less users and downloads hell slow. i dont mind leaving it on for a day to get something, but it took 5 days to get the file i wanted....which is a little extreme :p i paid £214 for this uni internet cos it was the fastest one...so i kinda wana use it to download shit.

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
I get an "Unconnectable" error with some bittorrent sites for some reason. I've NEVER had that problem before, it just started one day which sucks because that site gives six hour penalties for unconnectable people. -_- How fucking lame, once the six hours is up I download and upload just like before they added the penalty so I don't know what gives.