What's new

why not?

ILR

I'm not too jiggy with the whole emulation thing. I play these games and frown when there's little things (or huge things) here and there that don't work. I'll admit that I don't know jack when it comes to creating an emulator, but what does it take? If the N64's OS can pull off these games without blinking an eye then why not try and figure out some way to copy the OS onto the computer? Maybe I should do some reading up on hardware so I can see what really is so insanely difficult about creating a working emulator. Or maybe one of the authors can explain it to me. Don't be afraid to slap down some technica jargain (or code), I really want to know.

OP
I

ILR

Remote said:
/me pinches myself in the arm, are you for real?

http://www.pj64.net/emubook/

*checks self* I believe I am. I know that if you want to know about something, you have to ask a fucking question, even if it sounds stupid. Here I am asking, and there you are giving me what I hope to be the answer.

Trotterwatch

N64 Emulation is not about creating an OS, it's about the complex act of simulating Hardware using Software.

Very tough to do, which is why I have the utmost admiration for everyone actively involved in creating emulators.

(and less of the swearing matey :) )

Remote

ILR said:

*checks self* I believe I am. I know that if you want to know about something, you have to ask a fucking question, even if it sounds stupid. Here I am asking, and there you are giving me what I hope to be the answer.

You had to check? I provided you with a link to the best resource for emulation related material, and you did not even care to browse it, perhaps I posted the link for my own amusement. The emubook is written by zilmar, author / founder of Project 64, and will give you a better understanding of the ins and outs of emulation.

OP
I

ILR

Remote said:

You had to check? I provided you with a link to the best resource for emulation related material, and you did not even care to browse it, perhaps I posted the link for my own amusement. The emubook is written by zilmar, author / founder of Project 64, and will give you a better understanding of the ins and outs of emulation.

Chill out buddy, I'm reading it right now. However I hope some of these things are typo's in here. "int CPUrunning = true"? C isn't THAT different from C++ is it? Last time I checked int's can only be int's. And I also got the feeling that goto's were used. goto's are extremely evil and unneccessary. In my book it's very unethical to use a goto. I wanna talk to the authors of PJ64 and 1964. Maybe they can give me deeper scoop on what to do cause that little article hardly scratches the sruface. Hell maybe I'll even write something.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ILR said:

Chill out buddy, I'm reading it right now. However I hope some of these things are typo's in here. "int CPUrunning = true"? C isn't THAT different from C++ is it? Last time I checked int's can only be int's. And I also got the feeling that goto's were used. goto's are extremely evil and unneccessary. In my book it's very unethical to use a goto. I wanna talk to the authors of PJ64 and 1964. Maybe they can give me deeper scoop on what to do cause that little article hardly scratches the sruface. Hell maybe I'll even write something.

Zilmar makes a lot of typos but he's extremely knowledgable and somehow doesnt make them when he's coding for real (or corrects them, I dunno! :p)

OP
I

ILR

schibo said:

*pokes with a stick*

do you have aim? ICQ? Phone number? Anything at all? I'd rather be proven wrong then ignored. I've got tons of questions about the things you need to write something but nobody but you or the other authors can really give it to me.

OP
I

ILR

Smiff said:
Its not such a stupid Q, HLE is essentially OS simulation.

'simulation' is the problem word. Simulation automatically means that there's an imperfection. When it comes to computer programming one of the first things I've learned is that any program can be perfect, all it takes is patient twiking.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
well, lol, 4 years of being around emulation have told me roughly the opposite; that no program can/will be perfect. No program of this complexity anyway.

OP
I

ILR

Smiff said:
well, lol, 4 years of being around emulation have told me roughly the opposite; that no program can/will be perfect. No program of this complexity anyway.

Garbage in garbage out man. I'm sure you've heard it. The computer is a retarded piece of metal that can't do anything on it's own. It's dependent %100 on the programmer to tell it what to do. There is always a way to manipulate the computer to do what you want. I've always found a way. I plan on being a big time programmer and I need to practice high level stuff like this. Now, will anyone care to tell me how I can actually comunicate with the sleeping man?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ok look friendly piece of advice, don't go asking the authors loads of general questions, a few specific ones might be ok though, and the source to many of the best emulators is available so why not take a look at that, you should quickly get an idea of the scope.

OP
I

ILR

Smiff said:
ok look friendly piece of advice, don't go asking the authors loads of general questions, a few specific ones might be ok though, and the source to many of the best emulators is available so why not take a look at that, you should quickly get an idea of the scope.

I am looking at it, but it still doesn't answer my question. Does this guy exsist or is he a randomly generated post that pops in every once and a while? I KNOW YOUR OUT THER!!! GIVE ME AIM/ICQ/MSN/ANYTHING!!!

Azimer

Emulator Developer
ILR said:

'simulation' is the problem word. Simulation automatically means that there's an imperfection. When it comes to computer programming one of the first things I've learned is that any program can be perfect, all it takes is patient twiking.

Sure there can be 100% accurate emulation. Absolutely. There are some problems.

1. Cost (both time on monetary)
2. Emulation Speed
3. Quality

First, the cost is too great. You need to purchase hardware to reverse the Nintendo64's structure. You also need know howto or spend the time to learn how to trace the paths on the PCB and accurately figure out how all the chips work completely. Both time and money. Lastly, you need some testing applications to run on the hardware to check for emulation accuracy. This is basically the current state of NES emulation.

Secondly, the emulation speed would be unacceptable. You would be running a 93.75Mhz CPU at something like a 10 Ghz system with full speed if you decided to use complete accurate emulation. This would include cycle counting, the double processor syncing, I/O timing, and various other things which current nintendo64 emulators currently simulate as best as possible to make the majority of the games run as fast as possible and as well as possible.

Lastly, the quality of the emulation would be worse then you see in the currently running games. You can't have complete emulation and nice graphics like you do now. You could only have pixelated unusable slow crap which I have already seen in LLE. :) And that isn't even 100% accurate emulation. :)

Your attitude reflects your experience. Stand back awhile and learn. You will understand how difficult it can be to write an emulator (an accurate one). I highly recommend trying a NES emulator for yourself if you disagree. Emulation isn't a computer program... it's an emulator. There IS a difference. Ask Sony about their difficulty in getting PSX games to work 100% compatible on the PSX2.

Dominator

If you really wanna get in touch with some emu authors, just check out EFNET.
Most authors got a channel.
#emulation64
#apollo64
#pj64
#nemu64

And so on.

schibo

Emulator Developer
hehe, what Azi said ( mostly ;) )... time being your #1 consideration. years, really, if you start from scratch. our profiles have our messenger clients, altho we're usually busy

schibo