What's new

So has anyone tried out the Nintendo DS?

minkster

I recently went into target to get some ink for my printer, and saw the Nintendo DS there! It had a Metroid game on it so I decided to get my hands on it and played it for a couple minutes. It was worth the gameplay and the graphics were stunning considering it being the first 3D handheld console. If I had the money myself I would buy one....but I think I will wait till the price goes down. I haven't heard much talk about it here so I was wondering if anyone bought a Nintendo DS yet. You can post what games you have for it and what you think about the Nintendo DS. Do you guys think its going to be a big hit? What about its competetor, the Sony PSP? I, myself being a Sony fan...thinks that the DS may out beat the upcoming PSP. Post your reasonings here :bouncy:

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I'm thinking the DS is pretty sweet, I'll buy one after christmas because there will be the next swell of released titles, as well as more information on personal backup devices. I think the DS is awesome, though was disappointed when the local gamestop had them but the batteries were dead :(

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
I'm getting mine this christmas. I went to Wal-Mart and they had one, but the frickin batteries were dead.. :/ I went to Target the same day and they had a working one with Metroid Prime: First Hunt. It's amazing, it's so fluid. Worth every penny I'd say. If only there was a better launch lineup.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
got it on release day, my sister bought one today
odd finding though, if anyone remembers, when gba came out the model number was like N-GBA (just an example for comparitive purposes) then some guy bought one like 1-2 months later and it had a model number of N-GBA-1, when ppl looked further into it, they found that the -1 version had a different type of LCD
well guess what, my DS from release day is C/NTR-USA, my sisters is C/NTR-USA-1. i couldn't find any differences, but here serial number sticker is glossy (mine is matte) and the NintendoODS writing underneath the touch screen is darker, gonna post on some gaming forums and see whats going on, anyone that has one, PM me with model number and day u bought it

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
That's very interesting. I remember the *very* first batch of GBA's released in Japan also posessed a distinctive `screen scratch` and a different serial number to every batch made after and IIRC a different sticker type like you mentioned. Possibly best remembered because I have one but hey... ;)

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Got mine on launch day and I love it. First one out of the box at the EB I work at ^_^ Model is C/NTR-USA, matte serial and light gray DS logo under touch screen.

I got my GBA the day they launched and it has a glossy serial, my NES SP has a matte serial though.

Two screens really do own just one. The thumb strap makes touch screen play a million times better, makes it feel like an analog stick and is MUCH easier than dicking around with the stylus.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
Gogo, thats exactly what I thought, the "virtual analog stick" idea is so well employed, its really like playing with a console controller. Some kids at school thought the thumb strap was a gay idea, but this was coming from the mouths of people, who can be summarized in three simple words: Intel.....Extreme........Graphics. Whoops, guess they are too extreme for the DS. hehe. Yo, my DS is as you say, but my sisters is different, but the thing is, for the GBAs, it took Nintendo about a month to phase over to the new internal design, but this DS is from CCs first batch, odd.

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Could someone clear up how this `virtual stick` thing actually works and is implemented for me..? I've been far too lazy and never quite caught up to understanding it fully I'm ashamed to admit. (Nintendo didn't give me long enough between announcement and release dates for the concept to sink in ;))

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
I think the idea is that the touchscreen acts as an analog joystick. Touching it near the center would move the view a little bit, whereas touching it near the edges would rotate the view quickly.

Burnpro

Supar ***
you can move mario/yoshi with the touch screen while in mario's mansion but not ingame, btw N DS is very good but the price is very high in here.. almost US$350.00. too far for me to get :/

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Import, mate, import ;) That's the way to do it! :p Although I can't gaurantee you'll get one now. They seem to be sold out :huh:

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
I got the DS and Super Mario 64 DS. Touching the bottem screen sets the center point of the joystick, and moving from that first point simulates moving the analog stick farther, (click and drag thing going on), but it draws a circle from the center point that you begang at and once you go byond the border it moves the entire circle. So sometimes you'll end up with your pen at the edge of the screen and your character walking instead of running. After awhile though, you'll get use to it, or you can just use the D-pad.

I hope I explained that well - anyways, if you want pictures just say so, and of what - the ds, the menus, mario, the minigames you unlock :) - anything, just not my hot neked body ;)

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Your DS owner's manual explains how to set up and use the virtual stick. :p

1) Attach the thumb strap to the DS.
2) Put thumb in strap.
3) Use the little black knob-thing on the strap in place of stylus.
4) Enjoy your newfound playability.
5) Send Gogo lots of money, and cookies.

Yes, number five is in the booklet, check it out yourself if you don't believe me.

Freesnake

I also think DS is a good present for "anyself".
PSP?Pay attention to its batteries...only 2~6 hours gaming time...There is a idiom in China: Do stupid things as the forefathers did.Have you remembered GameGear?

Last edited:

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
Burnpro said:
you can move mario/yoshi with the touch screen while in mario's mansion but not ingame, btw N DS is very good but the price is very high in here.. almost US$350.00. too far for me to get :/
Where do you buy from? It's only $199.99 CAD.

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Well I just paid a fairly silly price for a US one on ebay... anyone know a cheap-ish voltage converter that'll let me use it in the UK?

Stezo2k

S-2K
i'd like to try one out personally, looks a pretty good handheld, i still prefer the look of the psp though......

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
KoЯn said:
You can use the GBA SP ones. They're exactly the same. Where to get one though, I have no idea.
You mean the original mains adapter that came with the UK SP would work on a USA DS? I did look at getting a USB power cable but if that'd work...

(Damn that's a lot of abbreviations...)