What's new

PC upgrading

Which PC upgrade should I get by December?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Which upgrade should I get by December?

Asus A7N8X-E motherboard (nForce2 Ultra 400 with Soundstorm)

Athlon XP-M (2500+ or 2600+)

Flat panel monitor

or

120 GB or more 7,200 8MB cache HDD

-Shadow-

Banned
That's a real hard decision! I would tend to buy the CPU. The performance of your mobo that you're having right now is not much slower than the one that you want to buy, and soundstorm is IMO not a sooo great feature. The CPU is IMO more capable of OC'ing, but i don't think you'll get much farther than with your old CPU. The HDD doesn't make that much sense if you got a DVD burner ;)

You should fix the poll, everything can be selected at once :p

Stezo2k

S-2K
Either HDD or RAM

personally i'd upgrade to an Athlon 64 myself, cheap as chips :)

upgrading to socket 939 asap speaking of which :)

Last edited:
OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I currently don't know how to build an Athlon 64 system, because they use a different socket. Also, should I wait for socket 939? AMD had to start changing sockets an insane amount of times. Also, they are expensive.

Stezo2k

S-2K
RJARRRPCGP said:
I currently don't know how to build an Athlon 64 system, because they use a different socket. Also, should I wait for socket 939? AMD had to start changing sockets an insane amount of times. Also, they are expensive.

its pretty much the same as socket A, but installing the heatsink is different, much more easy actually, just push it down (in the right place) no need for screw drivers :)

go for socket 939 mate, they are cheap enough now really

upgrading to socket 939 myself this christmas (the winchester based CPUs can perform around 4000+ when overclocked)

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Yes, definitely go with something socket 939, thats the standard now and the 940s are being phased out along with the 754. Plus the socket 939 3000+ is highly OCable.

betelgeus

in a word

forget the tft it make look swish but you arent gaining anything

buy an a7n8x-e delux gig of 3200 and sell your current ram

as for hd,thats simple buy if your short of space

and new g/f card

but hey if you only use it for n64 and surfing save your money and buy beer instead(well it is xmas after all)

Last edited:

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I think that your specs are kinda good right now, I voted for the flat panel because a video card wasn't in the poll....

Jakob

evil *******
go with an lcd monitor, you'll feel like you'll gain the freedom of actually using your desk space, anyone who says an lcd monitor isn't immediately necessary is an idiot, plain and simple.

...And anyone who argues with a mod is even more of an idiot;)

Clements

I vote video card since the rig has a major GPU bottleneck and a faster processor won't gain you any fps in games.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Clements said:
I vote video card since the rig has a major GPU bottleneck and a faster processor won't gain you any fps in games.

Not exactly true, on my XP2400 I had to run doom 3 at 640 x 480, when i got my Athlon 64 i could run doom 3 at 1024 x 768 full speed (medium settings) when i had my old geforce 3

Stezo2k

S-2K
Clements said:

Not exactly true, on my XP2400 I had to run doom 3 at 640 x 480, when i got my Athlon 64 i could run doom 3 at 1024 x 768 full speed (medium settings) when i had my old geforce 3

Clements

It's still the GPU holding him back though. A now cheap 9800 Pro would literally more than quadruple his FPS (almost three times the bandwidth + double pipes) and have DX9 features + better anti-aliasing quality, while an upgrade from a 2400+ to a 2600+ (what he is suggesting) is hardly going to make any difference, and that upgrade would be a waste of cash in my opinion.

When building a system, you should try to find the weakness and balance your system. It's no use having one component much faster than the others, since it will hold you back and your FPS will suffer. I second the Athlon64 opinion, although in his case he already has a fast enough processor while his other components are much worse.

The motherboard option is marginally better than the Via, but not by all that much. Might as well save up the money and get the Slot 939 system that you really want, RJARRRPCGP, and start afresh, and sell your old system to raise the funds (this is what I do).

Jakob

evil *******
doom 3's render pipelines adjust to the card being used, therefore the video card is not a bottleneck for speed, but rather for quality

Flash

Technomage
pAsSiVe said:
go with an lcd monitor, you'll feel like you'll gain the freedom of actually using your desk space, anyone who says an lcd monitor isn't immediately necessary is an idiot, plain and simple.

LCD monitors is office-only crap. :p Bad colours, everything below their native resolution looks blurry or pixelated like hell. If you want to read text or use Internet - yes LCD is better, but if you want to play games, watch movies or work with Photoshop-like stuff - better to use high-end CRT and wait for OLED monitors.

Flash

Technomage
pAsSiVe said:

LCD monitors is office-only crap. :p Bad colours, everything below their native resolution looks blurry or pixelated like hell. If you want to read text or use Internet - yes LCD is better, but if you want to play games, watch movies or work with Photoshop-like stuff - better to use high-end CRT and wait for OLED monitors.