What's new

I have a problem :(

StAmAtIs

Everytime i press cntrl+alt+delete the task manager window shows up for a split second and then dissappears this also happens when i type in the run command "msconfig". I want to change my start up settings but i can't.

I also found a file in C:\Documents and Settings\Family\Application Data\seek dupe axis
called Softdata.exe which won't delete because it says that it is in use and i know this is the file that is causing the problem but i cant get rid of it and yes i have tried ad-aware but still nothing.

is there a patch or anything

PLZ someone help me! :bye3:
I have Windows XP Pro

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
You have four options:

1) Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM and delete the file manually (It will probably won't work because you will log in as Administrator and you won't have access to the "C:\Documents and Settings\Family" directory).

2) Use a DOS bootable disk and delete the file manually (If the file system is NTFS you need to use a special DOS version that supports it).

3) Start in safe mode, log in as Administrator, delete the "family" user account, reboot and delete the file manually (The "family" account will be gone).

4) Do as I say in this post: http://www.emutalk.net/showpost.php?p=227837&postcount=4

At least one of these procedures should work :)

OP
StAmAtIs

StAmAtIs

Ok I found out what the problem was.
It was the locatesrvc.exe file in the windows/system32 folder. So I decided to delete it. The problem went away I could now see my Task Manager again. Then when I restart the PC I get an error message when windows starts up sayin that locatesrvc.exe is missing "yada yada yada". So I decided to put the locatesrvc.exe back to where it was and it fixed the startup error message but now I'm back to the task manager problem again.

Any Suggestions? :bye3:

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
DELETE the damn thing. the fact that you see the error when you start up simply means that the virus was going to run every time you start your computer. after that, do a full scan for viruses, preferably in safe mode.

PsyMan said:
1) Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM and delete the file manually (It will probably won't work because you will log in as Administrator and you won't have access to the "C:\Documents and Settings\Family" directory).
i've never tried this, but Administrator should have full access rights. any admin account will be able to access that directory. safe mode will work 99% of the time, and you should just have to delete the offending files, not the whole user account. you don't have to go through all that complicated shit unless your comp's REALLY messed up. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

zman

In my way of thinking I would safe boot and delete "Softdata.exe" and or find the link file to "locatesrvc.exe" which is probably the "Softdat.exe" file and or a uneeded program most likely unintentially or not even installed by you or someone else using the machine.

Or option B - is lock everyone out of your machine and just be the user of the ADMIN account that way all things are done by you and no one else.

Or lastly...Nuke the hard drive and reinstall a clean install and back that up to DVD or CD so in the future all you have to do is a simple recovery which takes a lot less time then an install.

Or maybe think about BeOS or Linux fun...

OP
StAmAtIs

StAmAtIs

OK I deleted locatesrvc.exe
But now is there anyway to get rid of that annoying error message when Windows starts up. Anything to do with the startup services?

Oh and that softdata.exe file had nothing to do with what was happening and I don't know how it got there. I was able to delete by renaming the file and moving it to a different directory and then restart the computer and then delete the file.

minkster

I don't know if this will help, but try disable and then enable system restore. This can delete any virus data that was on the system at the time causing the error to pop up. Then restart the computer. Hope it helps-minkster

buda

perhaps there is something in your registry still tring to run it. go into run then type regedit and then search for locatesrvc and see if you can delete the entre that is tring to run it. hopes that helps

OP
StAmAtIs

StAmAtIs

Yes it worked!
Thanx buda and thanx to the rest of the guys who replied. This forum is great you guys rule!
:bouncy: :party: :bouncy: :party: :bouncy: :party: