What's new

Updating to Windows XP SP2

minkster

I've been thinking about updating to SP2, but I'm afraid of compatibility issues such as this program alphaxp which uses transparency effects, stylexp, and LogonUIboot randomizer. Also I have a laptop too so I dont know if that would cause some issues. How do I backup my C: Drive? I don't have XP proffesional and I don't see a program for it on XP home. And one more question..would I be able to go back and use SP1 if I didnt like SP2? Thanks-minkster

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
Doesn't appear to have a uninstall for it. And if you don't know how it'll handle, just backup your system. Go to my computer, right click on your C: drive, click properties, tools then backup now. Follow the onscreen instructions. Not sure about style XP, since I don't use it. I personally have had zero problems with it. No incompatabilites with games or anything. Some people report wireless problems, but I use it on ocasion, and have also had zero problems with wireless.
- Modem

OP
minkster

minkster

Unfortunatley....this option is only available on Windows XP Proffesional Edition. The only tools there are defragmenting or error checking the drive. :( ....Is there a freeware program to back up my drive?

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
Eagle said:
My WinXP Pro has the uninstall option. Not sure about home.

Wow, you're right. Looked earlier when I posted that and didn't see it. Ended up being at the very bottom. Must've overlooked it.
Anyway, according to microsoft, you have to install it yourself. Here's their instructions.
- Modem

Windows XP Home Edition: Add the Backup utility

If you're using Windows XP Home Edition and you want to use the Backup utility, you'll have to manually add it by following these steps:

1.Insert your Windows XP CD into the drive and, if necessary, in My Computer, double-click the CD icon.

2.On the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP screen, click Perform Additional Tasks.

3.Click Browse this CD.

4.In Windows Explorer, double-click the ValueAdd folder, then Msft, and then Ntbackup.

5.Double-click Ntbackup.msi to install the Backup utility.

Note: If you bought a computer with Windows XP Home Edition, the Backup utility should be on the disk that came with your computer. If you don't see the utility on the disk, contact the computer's manufacturer or visit their Web site for more information.

smcd

I've not updated myself yet, but I updated mom's PC and it's just the same as it was before, only when you initially install it you get lots of "security" windows and nonsense.

Clements

I eventually got SP2 working well after a few gos and a few mangled Direct X installations later, just to add a forth layer of protection on my PC.

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
I recommend installing SP2.

I've installed it on 30+ machines without a hitch (on one compaq I had to get some driver updates before installing). I had trouble with ~50% of the computers I tired putting SP1 on, so props to MS for improving in that area.

It includes alot of bug-fixes not available as individual patches, including ones to the network code that can speed things up if you're on LAN. The windows firewall is actually pretty decent now, so if you don't already have one, you'll be better protected. And the pop-up blocker in the updated IE is actually better than many add-on blockers I've tried.

No need to reformat, it's an OS patch, not a whole new OS.

Last edited:
OP
minkster

minkster

When I use the backup utilitiy program, should I back up all the information on my computer?

OP
minkster

minkster

It also says I need to insert a floppy after the backup is done....I dont have a floppy drive either :(

Stezo2k

S-2K
personally, i prefer to slipstream my version of xp with the service packs

using it now :) saves the hasstle and seems to be the most trouble free solution :)

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
minkster said:
It also says I need to insert a floppy after the backup is done....I dont have a floppy drive either :(

Okay, first, if you are a average joe with these things, and have not disabled System Restore, you should be able to install it, and if things don't work out, you should be able to system restore to a earlier state, such as a day or so before you install it. I believe it makes a system restore before installing SP2 anyway, but not 100% sure.

If you want to make your own backup, you can use the brose button and put the backup copy somewhere on your hdd. Be sure you have some space free. And since I'm guessing you just have a C: drive, so make sure it backs up your System State. If you end up backing up games with it and such, the file will end up being quite big. My backup file right now alone without games is over 7GB.

OP
minkster

minkster

I have a C and D drive and I will try out what you said and make the backup to the D drive. Thanks alot- Minkster

OP
minkster

minkster

This was the error I got:
Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "Backup.bkf created 11/4/2004 at 11:24 AM"

Backup Status
The files for the recovery diskette could not be created. The operation was aborted.

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.

----------------------
Whomp Whomp :(

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I dunno, but that looks like the type of error message you would get if you manually aborted it, that is tell it to abort it in the middle of the backup process.

OP
minkster

minkster

Nope I tried doing it several times but no luck. I got the error as soon as it started...it said something bout the floppy drive argh. :p