What's new

HardWare Conflicts HELP!

L

Lachp30

Yesturday, I installed a NVIDIA Geforce 4 440 MX 128mb (I got it for free from a friend, however, it is in perfect condition) into my DELL 4400 in the AGP slot, which origianlly contained a NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX supplied by DELL, with a good result. However, when I dialed to my ISP, I noticed a weird sound comming from the modem, almost like crackling. Through-out my use of the internet yesturday, this noise continued, and when it came to minimizing screens, and moving objects around on the screen, this sound from the modem sounded like a weird sounding machine gun. I have no doubt that the probelm is the new graphics card, which is in some way interfeering with modem, however, on the DEVICE MANAGER, it assures me that there is no conflict. Furthermore, the PCI modem is in the slot next to the new card. The internet continues to work fine though.

Any suggestions?

Is it worth moving the modem to the forth PCI slot?

Any Help GREATLY appreciated to rectify this annoying problem.

PC SPECS

P4 2.0GHZ
INTEL 845D MAINBOARD
NVIDIA Geforce 4 MX 128mb 440
REALTEK 10/100 LAN
CONEXTANT MODEM
256MB DDR (200MHZ)
80GIG WD HARDDRIVE

Eagle

aka Alshain
Lachp30 said:
Is it worth moving the modem to the forth PCI slot?

Yes actually, PCI slots sometimes share IRQs, usually the PCI slot right next to the AGP slot wouldnt share an IRQ with the AGP slot but you never know with these manufacurers anymore. Do this, open system information from the System Tools section of your start menu. Expand "Hardware Resources" and choose "Conflicts/Sharing". You should be able to see here what is being shared in the way of IRQs, Memory Addresses, and I/O Ports. We are more concerned with any shared IRQ's. If it appears as though the modem and the video card are sharing an IRQ, just move the modem to another slot and see if that solves the problem. Often Modems are incapable of properly sharing an IRQ.

OP
L

Lachp30

Thanks Eagle, but it appears that there is no conflicts present there. I am wondering weather or not I may have damaged the modem when Installing the card? I moved the modem down to the forth PCI slot only to encounter the same problem:(

Eagle

aka Alshain
It is possible, and then again it is possible that it has nothing to do with installing the video card at all. It really sounds like its just a problem with the speaker though. Can you turn the modem's volume off in Windows? There is no problems connecting right? If it's not a hardware conflict then it could be something conflicting by having them running too close together, even in slot 4 they could be. This is actually called interferance. Where conflicts deal with them being plugged into the same machine, interferance is through the air and two pieces of technology dont even have to be in the same machine to run interference. Kind of like having speakers that are not shielded to close to a CRT monitor or TV, the magnets screw up the monitor. Try putting in the old vid card and see what happens. If it stops you have nailed the problem.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lachp30

The modem speaker is off. I will now attempt to re-install the old Geforce 2. Cheers for all the help tho mate.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
sounds like some RF interference, almost all the equipment in my house will do some similar annoying crap like this whenever i bring my cellphone near there

Eagle

aka Alshain
sheik124 said:
sounds like some RF interference, almost all the equipment in my house will do some similar annoying crap like this whenever i bring my cellphone near there

Yeah, my TV tends to do some funky stuff when the microwave is running.

OP
L

Lachp30

sheik124 said:
dunno, seemed really weird, never had noises like this for more than a couple of seconds

Nope, still have the same problem.

Eagle

aka Alshain
What was the results on reinstalling the GF2? Did the sound stop? Honestly if all else fails, 56k v92 modems are cheap as beans.