What's new

P4 Compability

Hakon

Hello !
im thinking of buying a Pentium4 Pc (2Ghz)
And i have read that this cpu works bad with PJ64 or was it just
with the first P4 1.7 Ghz cpu:s? Am i buying the wrong Pc ?
Let me know ! Hakon

Remote

The purshace of a new computer should not be centered around the use of Project 64, what else are you planning on using it for? Since I am on an AMD system and only have had little experince with the PIV processor series I can not make that decision for you.

It is indeed more expensive then the AMD counterpart, the XP2000+ which runs as 1.67ghz, give or take a couple of megahertz, but performance should be equal. The essence of the new AMD marketing campain is that a XP2000+ has equal or better performance then a PIV 2.0ghz.

Keep in mind that the new Intel PIV processor series(Northwood core) has great overclocking potential. URL=http://www.anandtech.com]Anandtech[/URL] made a benchmark the other day, comparing a PIV overclocked to 3.0ghz, I do not remember the stock speed, where it swept it competitors of it´s feet, including all AMD processors. The PIV processor is not a competive CPU on low clock speeds, the more you can afford the better.

Afaik there are no problems with the PIV processor tied directly to Project 64, the problem lies within the CPU, it is not using it´s full potential on lower clock speeds. If you intend to overclock it, you should now that Intel systems has fixed multipliers, only the FSB(Front Side Bus) can be changed where AMD systems has a non fixed FSB and multiplier, you can change it to whatever you want as long as it can cope. Depending on what PCI and AGP dividers your motherboard has changing the FSB to uneven speeds could cause instability.

Before buying anything read up on the subject, so that you know exactly what you are buying, and make your decision later on.

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
umm.. that was a nice lecture, ok,
to the answer:
i tried pj64 1.0 on a P4 and it worked slower then my 600 Cel.
AFAIK it was never fixed (was it?)

Remote

Afaik there never was an issue, the slower core despite the faster clock speed is not powerfull enough, compared to a PIII or a Athlon, to make it run at acceptble speeds. Perhaps someone with experince from running Project 64 on a PIV could give you insight on the matter.

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
i haven't read about this subject ("the slower core despite the faster clock ") so i don't know if that's the issue (sound very interesting though, i think i will look for reading material, do you have any site with reading material about it?)
but tell me for now...
despite all that shouldn't a P4 1.4Ghz *still* be faster then a 600 Celeron?

Remote

The PIV processor series are not using their full capacity at the low clock speeds Intel are selling them in, i.e 1.2 and 1.4ghz. The higher ones uses a modified core(Northwood) and there for do not have this problem, they are also clocked higher. If you were to benchmark a PIII and a PIV clocked at the same speed the PIII would be a much better processor, I am not sure if this also applies to the processors with the Northwood core.

But since the PIII processor has reached it´s limits, the design it is using stops it from operating relaibly at higher clock speeds, Intel developed the PIV processor with higher clock speeds in mind. And if you let it work at a speed that is less then optimal, it is going to perform less then optimal. There used to be a note on NeSc which said that there were no performance issues when using Project 64 on a PIV processor. The bad performance was due to the PIV weak FPU(Floating Point Unit).

What I meant with the slower core despite the faster clock speed statement is that although the PIV processors are clocked higher then most, overclocks do not count, PIII processors, the PIII series of processors perform better.

Tesla-Guy

Remote said:
But since the PIII processor has reached it´s limits, the design it is using stops it from operating relaibly at higher clock speeds,
No, it hasn't! Intel is going to make a new core for Pentium III so it can run at higher speeds. Can't remember the core's exact name, it starts from "T" though! :p

Dark Anomaly

If thats so , then only a fool or some n00bie would buy a P4 cos they get sucked in by the p4 and 2Ghz wording. lol
Id get P3 over p4 anyday . Even if p4 was 3Ghz id stick with P3 s. p3 owns p4 anyday , tho amd owns emall :) p3 and athlons are both good, but p4 sux0rs no matter the speed. thew brutew force speed is being used just to keep up with amd

CLSugarman

you mean the tualalin? It can't go higher than 1.2GHZ and the tualatin chip isn't compatible w/ older PIII motherboards so you'll have to buy a new motherboard.