What's new

Hi! Ever consider an AMD64 port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kai445

I've got an Athlon 64 3500+ arriving in a week or so (woo!) and was wondering to myself... "damn, chankast uses SSE, and AMD64 allows for 8 more SSE registers, and 8 more General Purpose Registers when compiled for 64-bit... I bet it'd be smooth as hell on the athlon 64!"
Table of Registers @ Toms Hardware

I'd be willing to test out builds and do whatever nessicary to see chankast running 64 bit native. I haven't had the opportunity to test chankast at all yet (celeron 600... ugghhh) but would like to benchmark a few games in 32 vs 64 bit mode, and such.

What's everyone think?

Last edited:

aika-san

kai445 said:
I've got an Athlon 64 3500+ arriving in a week or so (woo!) and was wondering to myself... "damn, chankast uses SSE, and AMD64 allows for 8 more SSE registers, and 8 more General Purpose Registers when compiled for 64-bit... I bet it'd be smooth as hell on the athlon 64!"
Table of Registers @ Toms Hardware

I'd be willing to test out builds and do whatever nessicary to see chankast running 64 bit native. I haven't had the opportunity to test chankast at all yet (celeron 600... ugghhh) but would like to benchmark a few games in 32 vs 64 bit mode, and such.

What's everyone think?

Read the forum FAQ for more info regarding the rules about requesting features.

You probably won't like my view on requesting machine-specific optimization, but since you ask:

Don't you think it would be wiser to make the current version more stable/compatible rather than wasting time porting chankast in it's current state to another system. At least this way everyone benefits, not just the people with a system like yours. It's not just a matter of flicking a switch and recompiling chankast. It would need to be reprogrammed to use the extra registers, tested for bugs etc... It's a lot of work to do this. You would not have asked this question if you were not buying the system you want chankast optimized for.

I own a 3.2ghz pentium 4 and I would love chankast to be optimized for my system, but I'm also intelligent enough to realise that not everyone owns high-end p4's. I'm sure no-one here wants to see just a selection of people with specific hardware benefit from any future versions. If anyone does want it optimized for their system only, then that stems from being self-centered and greedy. How would you feel if they spend a month or 2 making a 64-bit version and you were one of the people without a 64 bit athlon. If you want the current version to run well, then spend the money buying as much mhz as you can. It works fine on my p4 with no special optimizations, but then I've already laid my dollars on the table.

It's good to see that you are upgrading, but please be considerate of the hardware other people are using. They want to see improvements in future versions too. Emulation speed with the current version is not an issue anyway if you are using good hardware. There will most likely be optimization done with future versions, but don't expect these improvements to be athlon 64 specific. Most likely, any optimization done will benefit everyone, and that's the way it should be too.:happy:

When programming software there is a time for machine-specific optimization, and that is when:

1) All other non machine-specific optimization possibilities have been addressed.
2) When the program is virtually bug-free and not in Alpha stage as chankast is.

Last edited:

NeoWhiteWolf

If Chankast goes Open Source a group such as ReDump (as in MAME) could take the source and compile with Chip Spiecific code. From what the DEVS have it'll be a long while to then, if ever. AMD64 and AMD's last few chipsets have been coding wise pretty compatible, optimizing may add better performance but i doubt itll be a jump. Even Windows XP (64 Optimized) doesnt improve much just allows different usage of the chips power of 32 processors.

Cid

@ aika-san. Good explaination
@ NeoWhiteWife 1 post is good enough :)
Please close down these kind of threads. Just be patience and thankful.

OP
K

kai445

I agree more features, stability, and other progress is more important.

I just read this "Once we arrive to version 1.0, we will left almost all as pluggings, and probably emulator will go open source."

So I'm pretty satisfied with that. When chankast goes OSS, I'm sure someone will take the chance to optimize for AMD64 and get a nice speed increase (~20-40%? who knows).

Thanks.

IceWarm

What is the point of running a 64 bit processor on a 32 bit operating system? Sure it is probably fast but the operating system is sure not making use of the extra 32 bits. Unless you’re of course running a 64 bit operating system. But I’m sure most users are using a 32 bit one.

Stezo2k

S-2K
IceWarm said:
What is the point of running a 64 bit processor on a 32 bit operating system? Sure it is probably fast but the operating system is sure not making use of the extra 32 bits. Unless you’re of course running a 64 bit operating system. But I’m sure most users are using a 32 bit one.

well for a start, the performance boost from using a 32bit cpu, ok it isn't as much as using a full 64bit os, but it's still quick :)

Look at Far cry for instance, thats Athlon 64 optimised and that totally flys much more than a 32 bit cpu on my A64 and others I know who use XP32.

I recon chankast could be very much improved if it becomes Athlon 64 optimised, but i doubt it'll happen before being open source, so i won't build up my hopes

WhiteX

Yeah, rich boys talking rich talk!
Just kidding, however we live in a world full of mid-end and packed of low-end systems
if you truly love emulation you would like to see it fast for everyone, and it will only happen (64 bits ported) when these processors become available to the majority of the
people (of the hole world, poor included.) so it would be unwise of a emulation lover to
lose time coding for selected number of ppl.
Of course a 64 bit is faster than a 32 one and more MHz is better and more RAM is better and more...
Just keep in mind that not everyone is wealthy as you are.

WhiteX

Oh, by the way!
It got off topic and the very thread kinda hurts the forum rules, so...
MOODDS!
Shut it down!

aika-san

Yep. I love DC emulation, even more so than the DC itself. That's just one of the reasons why I chose to live like a pauper and save my money for nearly 12 months to buy my computer. I would not call that wealthy, more like dedicated. :p

Last edited:

WhiteX

Sorry, aika dude, not talking about you, your previous post inspired me to post the "rich boys talking rich talk" thing, i work for a living too and my rig is not like the most of the forum ppl but i am proud of it ´cause i saw hell to buy it.

ps.: it is reeealy off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.