What's new

Chankast won't read my disc...

Gizmo224

I have a game on a CD-R that is set up to selfboot (it works on my DC), but Chankast won't recognize it. The BIOS loads up fine, but it goes to the menu and when I select play, it says "please insert game disc." I am pretty sure that it's because I haven't set up any plugins, but I don't see any menu listing to edit them (the closest thing I have seen has been selecting between my CD-RW drive and my DVD-ROM drive. Has the feature to edit plugins not yet been added? If it has been added, how do I go about doing so?

Cid

Have u check out the compatibility list yet to see if that game is actually playable on Chankast?

OP
G

Gizmo224

Yes, it is a game that works, Psychic Force 2012 if you must know...

Anyway, at least I got the BIOS to start by updating my video card's drivers :whistling

OP
G

Gizmo224

I already looked at the FAQ. The game IS a selfbootable backup image, and I'm not getting any error messages. I did, however, find something interesting in the Chankast manual when I tried using a virtual drive (I still have the image on my PC). I followed the directions for mounting an image, up until this point where it lost me:

"Now all that is left to do is to click on "Options" once again, but this time select "Init" and wait for the game to boot. If you get an error or the emulator hangs, the game you selected isn't compatible with Chankast yet – please remember that this is an alpha version and far from being complete!"

There is no "Init" option on my options menu after I select the virtual drive. Why would it not be there?

OP
G

Gizmo224

"the emu will NOT work under Windows 9x or ME, 2000 may boot certain ISOs but we won't go into detail on this now!"

Argh, why didn't I notice this sooner! I have Windows ME :cry:

I guess that resolves that issue, it just won't work...

...is there any hope of Windows ME support in a later release?

bouncerboy15

jessman1988 said:
uh....who the hell told you that?
PsyMan said:
Q: How do I run games?
A: The emulator supports only selfbootable backups, original and non-selfbootable disks will not work.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Running CDs is not generally recommended, prefer using CD images instead.

SUpCORE

Recommended doesn't mean the don't work, i'm playing Shenmue 1 & 2 from cdr and a few other games. And playing them from cdr or with an iso doesn't make any different accept accessing speeds.

OP
G

Gizmo224

So it's only my OS keeping it from detecting both the real or virtual disc drives?

And is the incompatability with Windows ME just temporary (to be changed in a future release) or is it going to stay XP (and 2K to some extent) only?

jessman1988

Banned
oh....heh. i didn't know you meant originals, bouncerboy15. it's just that it's so obvious that it can't read GD-Roms that I thought you meant any discs at all, lol. sorry.

cuda7171

Banned
Gizmo224 said:
"the emu will NOT work under Windows 9x or ME, 2000 may boot certain ISOs but we won't go into detail on this now!"

Argh, why didn't I notice this sooner! I have Windows ME :cry:

I guess that resolves that issue, it just won't work...

...is there any hope of Windows ME support in a later release?

why do you think it doesnt work on 2000? in what thread doesit explain? it seems to work for me,but i could be missing something.

sorry if this has been covered or a little bit off topic

bouncerboy15

jessman1988 said:
oh....heh. i didn't know you meant originals, bouncerboy15. it's just that it's so obvious that it can't read GD-Roms that I thought you meant any discs at all, lol. sorry.
It's okay dude. Im not mad. :p