What's new

why emulation of n64 is too hard?

mfarouk

i want to ask about why emulating n64 roms is too hard but at the most other systems like ps snes nes gen master system

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Err, last I Checked all of those systems were less powerful than the n64, its a silly question to ask why the genesis snes or master system is easier to emulate.

OP
M

mfarouk

Sayargh said:
Err, last I Checked all of those systems were less powerful than the n64, its a silly question to ask why the genesis snes or master system is easier to emulate.

ok i'm with you but i think psx is hard to emulate also

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
you should try 1964 if project64 is hard on your system.

epsxe is my preference of playstation emulator.

if epsxe is too slow, short of upgrading your system i have no advice on that.

both the playstation and n64 use 3d graphics so that is why they are both more difficult than the rest you mentioned.

Trotterwatch

Everyone of the machines is tough to emulate.... Sayargh just implied that the N64 was more difficult than the others you listed (and that includes the PS1).

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Think he means they are slow on his system trotter :)

wasn't saying they weren't all hard to emulate, just the n64 is probably harder due to the fact that the machine is more advanced, just like the ps2 is more advanced than the n64, it is harder to emulate because of this.

Trotterwatch

Sayargh said:
Think he means they are slow on his system trotter :)

wasn't saying they weren't all hard to emulate, just the n64 is probably harder due to the fact that the machine is more advanced, just like the ps2 is more advanced than the n64, it is harder to emulate because of this.
My point kinda still applies though ;)

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
True, you're right.. I should'nt be so hasty in my replys but at 1am what ya gonna do? ;)

Fast posting this, reminds me of IRC :D

OP
M

mfarouk

but why emulating and develping plugins for that is too hard and many games is very bad in graphigs and sound

Trotterwatch

mfarouk said:
but why emulating and develping plugins for that is too hard and many games is very bad in graphigs and sound
Because emulation programming is not an easy proccess at all. Add into the mix the fact that documentation is usually limited, then it's not something you should really expect perfection at.

-Shadow-

Banned
But it makes me wonder that the Development process of dreamcast emulation is much faster than the progress on N64 . They needed 3 years to achieve a fair compatibility and image quality .

From scratch to Chankast alpha 0.1 it took only 3 months , and then chankast really kicked ass ! I mean , chancast has more complex Graphics , another code system ( 128 bit ) , etc...

That's really odd , IMO...

[sarcasm]Maybe the chankast team are a bunch of workaholics with a lot of spare time :D[/sarcasm]

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
Because sound and especially video plugins are emulators themself. These plugins emulate very complex and powerful coprocessor.

H3ad5h0tter said:
But it makes me wonder that the Development process of dreamcast emulation is much faster than the progress on N64 . They needed 3 years to achieve a fair compatibility and image quality .

From scratch to Chankast alpha 0.1 it took only 3 months , and then chankast really kicked ass ! I mean , chancast has more complex Graphics , another code system ( 128 bit ) , etc...

That's really odd , IMO...

Odd? No. I very doubt that alpha 0.1 was created from scratch for 3 month. Even it is so, the answer is simple. Why first GBA emulators appeared before release of console itself? Why gamecube emulators are progressing so fast?
1) Great coders
2) Official development kit!!! Developers know exactly what the system can do and how it can do it. Where data is placed and how it is processed. You must be genius to understand it, but you already have this information. Pioneers of N64 emulation had nothing of this. Knowledge about the system was reverse engineered from bits of publicly available information and from dumps of demos. It's harder then decipher ancient egyptian records. Even now many things about N64 is unknown.

olivieryuyu

Gonetz said:
Odd? No. I very doubt that alpha 0.1 was created from scratch for 3 month. Even it is so, the answer is simple. Why first GBA emulators appeared before release of console itself? Why gamecube emulators are progressing so fast?
1) Great coders
2) Official development kit!!! Developers know exactly what the system can do and how it can do it. Where data is placed and how it is processed. You must be genius to understand it, but you already have this information. Pioneers of N64 emulation had nothing of this. Knowledge about the system was reverse engineered from bits of publicly available information and from dumps of demos. It's harder then decipher ancient egyptian records. Even now many things about N64 is unknown.

i thought that a sdk existed ...

Last edited: