What's new

Hi all...

Ganonboy

I've been away for a while, but Ive got a new PC and will be back soon with my Athlon XP 1.7 Ghz, as soon as I get the net that is???

:pj64:

Martin

Administrator
Welcome back mate! I can tell you this, you're not the only one with computer problems. /me stares at computer with hard drives in PIO mode. :cry:

Josep

eyerun4phun
sweet dude, i got my athlon xp 1.4ghz and overclocked it up the butt, just go for it if you have the powersupply for it, hehe, like 500watts;)

Pheo

i'm waiting till i get more fans until i try overclocking but as for my os situation, i need to format my hd or repartition so i can install win 2000. i cannot even uninstall xp w\o the message still popping up when i boot

Martin

Administrator
People are still overclocking? I quit that while I was still on my PII-333Mhz. /me shakes head. Why? IMO, it's not needed anymore, and it costs more to buy proper cooling than upgrading. Well, maybe it's fun. :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Lol, Martin. Overclocking can be very good.
U see the prices of the newest processors? U can overclock to those speeds w/o needing to buy them. Just buy a proper motherboard and a cooler. Coolers are cheap, y'know.
And, u were actually right, there are ppl who thinks overclocking is fun.

Slougi

Martin said:
People are still overclocking? I quit that while I was still on my PII-33Mhz. /me shakes head. Why? IMO, it's not needed anymore, and it costs more to buy proper cooling than upgrading. Well, maybe it's fun. :)
Hehe Martin yes people still overclock :)
Maybe it's not really worth it anymore but:
1) As you said it's darn fun :D
2) You have something to do (except emulation ;))
3) If you build a water-cooling setup for overclocking it's much much more quiet than all those fans humming :cool:

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
Martin said:
People are still overclocking? I quit that while I was still on my PII-33Mhz. /me shakes head. Why? IMO, it's not needed anymore, and it costs more to buy proper cooling than upgrading. Well, maybe it's fun. :)

:plain:WoW i didn't know there is a pentium II 33Mhz...

Martin

Administrator
Doomulation said:
Lol, Martin. Overclocking can be very good.
U see the prices of the newest processors? U can overclock to those speeds w/o needing to buy them. Just buy a proper motherboard and a cooler. Coolers are cheap, y'know.
And, u were actually right, there are ppl who thinks overclocking is fun.

Yeah well, I meant, the new processors are so cheap and fast (I hope people aren't stupid enough to buy the absolutely newest ones?) that it's not worth taking the risk of overclocking to gain FPS as you already have great FPS with all games already. Or something.

Ogy: PII-33Mhz? You must have misread. :plain: :D

dave_luther

Dangerous Dave
i just had to reformat my hard drive today because kernel32.dll was crashing my programs so much, also sound and 3d acceleration wasnt working. man i hate my computer

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Martin: Overclocking is still good :) Instead of having to buy a new processor after it gets old, u just get a new fan/motherboard and overclock it :D And it's fun too.
dave_luther: There is usually a program named ghost. Norton Ghost. U can use this to clone ur hd and restore it later. Very useful.

Pheo

i was thinking of overclocking mine, the software which came with my motherboard, gigabyte easy tune, allows the user to simply change the bus speed and reset.
more fans for cooling is definitely a good idea though
the cmos can tell you about what your cpu temp is

here are a few pics from easy tune

Pheo

hmmm, i should look into this, because it would be fun to tinker with the bios, seeing as i can back it up anyway
no... easy tune is better, i'll need to integrate an AC into my pc when it will be cheaper just to upgrade to a 2200