What's new

Damn!!! I wish I could use Linux without changing hardware!!!

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Unfortunately, Linux is known to have bad Radeon support and now possibly literally requires an $80 dollar modem, just for a good 56k modem.

I hope someone can help me out with configuring a 56k modem with a PCTel chipset, which is known to be supported.

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
No linux don't have a bad radeon support, this is changing......
Try to buy Lucent (agere) chipset modems.... they're very good (the best in my line, but now i have dsl) and works perfectly with linux (with some code compiling, very easy)...

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Radeon support is much better, but still not there yet. UT2004 just likes to b0rk up after a bit. :/

Slougi

Ati's radeon drivers SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK. They're sloooooooooooooow, they crash if you use more than one X server, they do NOT accelerate XRender or even core rendering in X, cause screen corruption if using a framebuffer console, etc. etc. The open source DRI drivers on the other hand work like a charm, but have even slower/unfinished GLX (OpenGL). Still for Ati cards predating the R300 I'd choose the DRI drivers.

Installing the PCTel drivers shouldn't be a big problem.

smcd

Slougi said:
Ati's radeon drivers SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK. They're sloooooooooooooow, they crash if you use more than one X server, they do NOT accelerate XRender or even core rendering in X, cause screen corruption if using a framebuffer console, etc. etc. The open source DRI drivers on the other hand work like a charm, but have even slower/unfinished GLX (OpenGL). Still for Ati cards predating the R300 I'd choose the DRI drivers.

Installing the PCTel drivers shouldn't be a big problem.

Slougi's right, nVidia drivers are far more mature than the ATi ones. I imagine after a couple versions (years?) ATi's should catch up to nVidia's level of linux support.